Any old promotor drivers around

How do you do it ‘mushroomman’. You have such a wealth of knowledge, its unbelievable. To think you have in your possession the sequel to the old photograph I and others have posted on here and which was taken in almost certainly 74 defies comprehension. To have known the guys who appeared or took the photos leaves me speechless. My own contribution to this forum is very limited. Although I met a fair number of drivers it was normally just in passing. As an introvert I rarely mixed preferring my own company most of the time. I’m glad you were the opposite, as an extrovert you obviously mixed easily and gained knowledge as has been shown many times here on TNUK and I for one am thankful for that.

That last post of yours was no exception. The story of the meeting at Carissio and the subsequent trip to the little restaurant reminds me of the time I and Promotor driver John Preece and two others did exactly the same when weekended at Cluses except in our case John and I both ended up in the cells for the night. I have told the full story on here before so won’t repeat it.

The article concerning the D Series to Kabul to collect the Hawker Hind aircraft in 1970 was interesting. The trip would, almost certainly, been known to Peter Calderwood as that was about the time he left Fords and the company Promotor was born.

However, the Promotor driver in the photo who was driving the D Series Reg Nr KKP ---- has still not been identified. We have been told it is one of the two drivers on the right in the photo. Either the one in the redish coloured top or the one below him in blue and clutching a bottle. I think its over to you Nottsnortherner. You joined the company in 75. Any ideas?

As a ‘thank you’ to you mushroomman I have re-posted the only Dow Freight photo I have in my collection. The one taken at the Zagreb Hotel where Promotor driver ‘Billy Proudlove’ was incarcerated awaiting his trial for his involvement in an accident in which two Yugos were killed.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say ‘thank you’ to Phil Bunch and the late Ray Gould for allowing the Thor/Tehran photos to be shared with us.