Who is U.K.s oldest truck driver still working.?

Anyone know who is the oldest working U.K. truck driver.2016.? :question:

well upto this year think it was my old boss and friend tony bradfield was still running down to morrocco at 82yrs young i think

Ian Lawson of Southampton must be well into his 70’s and he is driving an F12 Volvo on a V reg which he bought new 79/80 and he has been offered more for that motor now than when he bought it and only does work that suits him, well I think he has paid of the HP by now Buzzer.

stevejones:
well upto this year think it was my old boss and friend tony bradfield was still running down to morrocco at 82yrs young i think

Steve, Tony hung up his steering wheel just before his 83rd birthday, as you say doing two Morocco’s a month for the last 20 odd years, still going strong, proud to say I know the old boy.

Ossie

My dads 79 in September and still tramping ,works for Duncan Adams of Grangemouth out of their Tynedock depot

Jim Allman, from Congleton still driving artics at 82 I think.

Bob :smiley:

totally agree ossie gr8 man and gr8 times especially on the morrocco work glad hes doing well sank a few brandys with hot to trot all the best m8 :smiley:

Hi all.No disrespect intended to anyone,but why the hell would anyone want to continue driving trucks well after retirement age,especially in this day and age with all the WTD,bureaucracy crap,traffic and other restrictions.I see no pleasure anymore in driving.At 65 i now drive a couple of months in the summer in a mine,[off road,so no tachos or other crap]just to make a bit of extra for winter sport here.Other than that i would not worry if i never set foot in a truck again.‘‘Been there,done that’’,and enjoyed it when i was young and fit but that time is long gone.
Surely the whole point of working hard for almost 50 yrs[in most cases]is to relax and enjoy the fruits of your labours over the years.

Because they enjoy it Hutpik. Each to their own…

I fail to see much to enjoy in truckdriving these Days,In the 70s,80s and 90s,yes when things were more relaxed and the job was more about enjoying the travelling and meeting people in different places.Now people don’t even have the time[or civility]to even say hello anymore.and with all the restrictions imposed upon drivers you don’t even have the ‘‘freedom’’ anymore,plus places have become less welcoming and more dangerous in these times.

Rob h:
My dads 79 in September and still tramping ,works for Duncan Adams of Grangemouth out of their Tynedock depot

Your dad is well known to lots of us older drivers Rob, George Horne? I saw him a couple of weeks ago leaving the dock, unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to speak to him. Regards Kev.

I so agree Mike, I only do work that I enjoy which usually means moving trucks from one F1 Grand Prix to another or moving vehicles for the British Army with several old mates which is always a laugh. Doing general haulage or regular international work does not interest me one bit, drove down to Budapest last week from Silverstone spent two nights in cab and one in hotel at Geislewind, company paid, and extra on top of ex’s for cabbing it. arrived Budapest on friday, washed truck, hotel that night and flew home on saturday. Spoilt by living in huge American Volvo cab, could’nt live in a european one for long.
Regards Charlie.

kevmac47:

Rob h:

Your dad is well known to lots of us older drivers Rob, George Horne? I saw him a couple of weeks ago leaving the dock, unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to speak to him. Regards Kev.

Aye Kev he’s a hard man to pin down,always on the go

OssieD:

stevejones:

Steve, Tony hung up his steering wheel just before his 83rd birthday, as you say doing two Morocco’s a month for the last 20 odd years, still going strong, proud to say I know the old boy.

Ossie

And they say cigarettes and Coca Cola is bad for you :smiley:

yorkshire terrier:

OssieD:

stevejones:

Ossie

And they say cigarettes and Coca Cola is bad for you :smiley:

If you’ve ever sat with Tony sipping Coca Cola, as I have many times in Tangier docks in the old days, you’d know that there wasn’t very much coke in that can, and quite a lot of something far more amenable :wink: ! Tony got a lot of things right. Robert

hutpik:
I fail to see much to enjoy in truckdriving these Days,In the 70s,80s and 90s,yes when things were more relaxed and the job was more about enjoying the travelling and meeting people in different places.Now people don’t even have the time[or civility]to even say hello anymore.and with all the restrictions imposed upon drivers you don’t even have the ‘‘freedom’’ anymore,plus places have become less welcoming and more dangerous in these times.

I agree and I’m only late 30s but I know a lot of guys near or past retiring age punching tippers and artic bulkers on rubbish around London all week.
When you speak to them they are scared to stop as other than grafting there only interest is a few jobs in the garden and off to the pub for a few pints and they don’t want to end up in the pub all day and the thought of sitting in doors scares them.

To listen to Dennis Smith,aka Bewick, you would be forgiven in thinking he was the oldest driver!!! :wink:

David

shirtbox2003:

Dunno who it is, but he wouldn’t be a truck driver, he’d be a lorry driver… :unamused:

Fergie47:

shirtbox2003:

Dunno who it is, but he wouldn’t be a truck driver, he’d be a lorry driver… :unamused:

Well said that man, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Larry.

I do not know who is but any brit lorry driver has the chance to be :smiley: just keep driving :smiley:
regards from turkey we have too many senior drivers on our roads but already the traffic and road conditions in turkey makes you senior after a couple of years of driving :smiley: