ERF 'clearing house' thread!

ERF ‘clearing house’ thread!

I hesitate to create yet another ERF thread, but I do think this one is needed - apologies if this annoys any body.

Because of the preponderance of ERF threads on this forum, some posters find it difficult to locate the appropriate thread for their contributions. I’m concerned that some may be put off posting.

To make life easier, I’ve started this thread so that any slightly mysterious ERFs can be posted on here with pictures and information. Then I, or any other TNUK member, can try to transfer newly discovered ‘gems’ to the appropriate thread, if there is one.

Even though I’m quite guilty of making ERF threads, I too find it hard at times to know where to post info and pics about the stranger ERFs. Up until now, I’ve been bunging them on the ERF Beauties thread – again, not really appropriate. A classic example is the one below, which has completely baffled me!

So here we go, I’ll start the ball rolling. Does anyone know anything about this mystery British Leyland / Bathgate (BMC/British Leyland) cabbed ERF? It has right-hand drive so did it go to one of the Commonwealth countries? Robert

Another odd-ball here. I think this is an ES8. They were rare in artic form and had the Steyr cab. Basically, they were a replacement for the M-series as far as I know. Anymore artic examples out there? Robert

This appears to have a 4MW cab. Robert

The first one has a BMC cab, but an earlier one than that on the EP6.

(The last pic was on the Photobucket page of NZJamie, who posts on here).

Intriguing- although the EP and its origins is well-known, the Bathgate-cabbed one is new to me, at least. I guess it was built around the same time as the EP, but can only speculate as to which market it was aimed at. Did ERF still have interests in South Africa around 1998? I cannot imagine BMC helping a direct competitor to set up in its own markets, so that rules out Turkey and its environs- or does it?

The last ERF in your post is a 6MW, I reckon- 7" lamps.

I can’t see much to be gained by converting Turkish BMCs into RHD when you could obtain cabs from Bathgate. My first thought was S Africa too. However, I can find no reference to these Bathgate jobs in Dai Jones’s very comprehensive book about the ERF diaspora, ERF - The Inside Story. Robert

robert1952:
I can’t see much to be gained by converting Turkish BMCs into RHD when you could obtain cabs from Bathgate. My first thought was S Africa too. However, I can find no reference to these Bathgate jobs in Dai Jones’s very comprehensive book about the ERF diaspora, ERF - The Inside Story. Robert

These vehicles were built around 2000, I guess (modern ERF logo on the grille, assumption that the deal for the Bathgate cabs was part of that for the Professional cabs on the EP). By that time, cab production would have long ceased at Bathgate. The only source for the cabs would have been Turkey.

When did ERF SA stop trading?

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

These vehicles were built around 2000, I guess (modern ERF logo on the grille, assumption that the deal for the Bathgate cabs was part of that for the Professional cabs on the EP). By that time, cab production would have long ceased at Bathgate. The only source for the cabs would have been Turkey.

When did ERF SA stop trading?

Strange as it seems, I reckon you’re right. I have lived in Turkey and visited many times and that cab is more reminiscent of the Turk BMC version than its Bathgate ancestor. Perhaps the cab shell was provided for another factory, or perhaps Turkey simply converted its own version to RHD for export.

I cannot find a date for ERF SA cessation of trade, but it was still going at the end of the '90s.

Another possibility is that it is a RHD export British Leyland Super Mastiff and that some daft sod has stuck an ERF badge on the front! Robert

In Portugese , but lists other models + engine type , seems to be ■■■■■■■ powered

http://www.motorportugal.com/motores_industriales/ERF/F-SERIES

Casual Observer:
In Portugese , but lists other models + engine type , seems to be ■■■■■■■ powered

http://www.motorportugal.com/motores_industriales/ERF/F-SERIES

Superb research. How the heck did you find that?

Build date 1999 to 2010, the site says. I am surprised- I did not think that the Portuguese market was so “backward” as to accept a 1960s-origin cab, even on a site vehicle. Having said that, how many did ERF sell? I can’t find any photos of the vehicles at all, let alone one actually working.

I agree that’s a good find! However, it doesn’t explain why the vehicle in the photo has RHD, when Portugal has LHD. Portugal has fitted its own cabs to British lorries for decades (notably Atkinson, AEC and Leyland) but they all had LHD. Robert

robert1952:
I agree that’s a good find! However, it doesn’t explain why the vehicle in the photo has RHD, when Portugal has LHD. Portugal has fitted its own cabs to British lorries for decades (notably Atkinson, AEC and Leyland) but they all had LHD. Robert

Maybe the vehicles were for export to an African State. That would also “explain” the too-old-even-for-Turkey cab. If that is correct, why would they assemble them in Portugal, when labour is cheaper in Africa? Maybe the vehicles’ destination country was unsuitable for the setting-up of vehicle assembly?

We must remember that this was Bryant-era ERF, in which most ordinary manufacturing commonsense was over-ridden by the obsession with making as many different types of vehicle as possible.

I love these detective stories.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

Maybe the vehicles were for export to an African State. That would also “explain” the too-old-even-for-Turkey cab. If that is correct, why would they assemble them in Portugal, when labour is cheaper in Africa? Maybe the vehicles’ destination country was unsuitable for the setting-up of vehicle assembly?

We must remember that this was Bryant-era ERF, in which most ordinary manufacturing commonsense was over-ridden by the obsession with making as many different types of vehicle as possible.

I love these detective stories.

Here here (re the detective stories)! As an aside, during my investigations I found this CM archival reference to the later EP-range Turkish ERF cab:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … sh-delight

Meanwhile, on the ‘Bathgate’ cab front, I would remind us that under BL it was known as the G-cab. :wink:

Robert

LV-cabbed ERFs on Continental work. Robert

Export MV cab with pigeon-loft? Robert

7871990036_17e472e9e5_b.jpg

robert1952:

Now that is a well tidy sheeting job ! Bewick.

Bewick:

robert1952:

Now that is a well tidy sheeting job ! Bewick.

Yes! I nearly bunged it on the roping & sheeting thread. According to the 6x4 MV spec sheet you could have these with a choice of ■■■■■■■ NH220 or NH250 coupled to a choice of 13-speed Fuller or 15-speed Fuller. Robert

Nicked this from Facebook

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

newmercman:
Nicked this from Facebook

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

South African ERFs. Locally built cabs and probably locally built engines - Atlantis. Robert

SA Market set-forward-axle EC:
olx.co.za/ad/erf-ec14-ID15M … 6fc73a381c

[zb]
anorak:
SA Market set-forward-axle EC:
olx.co.za/ad/erf-ec14-ID15M … 6fc73a381c

I wonder if its a Sandbach-built Western Star with the ERF version of the EC front panelling. There were forward axle RHD ones, IIRC. Robert