Truck Dealers of the 1970s/1980S

From reading many of the threads on here, it seems that the 1970s into the 1980s was the time when well-established and not so well-established operators were progressing through into those new fangled European marques.

Any stories/pictures of those dealers who were around in those days, or the marques they represented would be most welcome.

Dealers I can think of that came and went in that era include such as Mayfair Garage, Fazeley, Tamworth, who were Guy agents, became MAN agents, then disappeared as Toleman Group (of car transporters and F1 fame) swallowed them up.

Or Millwards of West Bromwich, firstly Seddon Atkinson dealers, then Foden.

Or in my home part of the world, Pannell Commercials in Launceston, proud Seddon Atkinson dealers !

I look forward to stores and pictures a-plenty!!

Ed

EDTRUCK:
From reading many of the threads on here, it seems that the 1970s into the 1980s was the time when well-established and not so well-established operators were progressing through into those new fangled European marques.

Any stories/pictures of those dealers who were around in those days, or the marques they represented would be most welcome.

Dealers I can think of that came and went in that era include such as Mayfair Garage, Fazeley, Tamworth, who were Guy agents, became MAN agents, then disappeared as Toleman Group (of car transporters and F1 fame) swallowed them up.

Or Millwards of West Bromwich, firstly Seddon Atkinson dealers, then Foden.

Or in my home part of the world, Pannell Commercials in Launceston, proud Seddon Atkinson dealers !

I look forward to stores and pictures a-plenty!!

Ed

ag bird guy.jpg

In Nottingham we had
Scotts (Seddon Atkinson)
Blackwood Hodge (Seddon Atkinson)
Morville Trucks (Scania)
Garrett and Hemphry ? (Scammell)
RHCV ( Renault Dodge )
B and S Truck (Seddon )
Sherwood Truck and Bus
( Leyland Leyland/ DAF later IVECO )
Ford and Slater ( Leyland )
Toptrux ( ERF )
Hardstaff (Foden
Cossington Commercials (Nottm)
Later Mertrux ( Mercedes)

Bradley Seddon Atkinson Clay Cross and Walkers Transport cromford a ERF sub depot of Beeches Garage .

Scotts of Penrith, Seddon Atkinson dealers & Ailsa Trucks Volvo dealers.

Longfields at Killingworth & Stockton Seddon Atkinson then ERF, Regards Larry

Volvo Truck And Bus Centre North was formerly known to many as Darlington Commercials. The name, only changing when the Company acquired Carlisle Commercials in January 2000.

The history of the business can be traced back to the 1960’s when Tait’s (Haydon Bridge) were Volvo Truck Dealers in the North East Of England and ■■■■■■■■ However, in the early 1970’s Tait’s relinquished their association with the sale of Volvo Trucks and Darlington Commercials was created, operating from of course, Darlington and Bedlington.

One or two from the Manchester / Bolton area

Quicks for Ford, Manchester
Blakes, Manchester, Bedford
Woodwards, Salford (also Formby) (Leyland)
Oswald Tillotson, Trafford Park (also Burnley) AEC
Church Wharf Garage, Bolton, Dodge and Perkins
Foster & Seddon, Salford, Seddon

A couple more from the Manchester area.
Sid Abrams Cheetham Hill, Vauxhall/Bedford dealer.
B.& W. Scania, Middleton which I think is now West Pennine Trucks.
Tait’s of Oldham, Volvo agents.
And was it Chatfields just down the road from Belle Vue on Hyde Road. I took a wagon in there once and I think it might of been a Dodge. :confused:
There was another Lex Tillotsons at Newcastle near Stoke on the A34 early seventies, A.E.C. agents.

Regards Steve.

North East Leyland Daf Blaydon. North Eastern Motors Lemington & Stirling, Dodge Dealership. Regards Larry.

Another Dodge agent in Manchester was Grimshaws on Bury New Road Prestwich end, it was also a Vauxhall agents.Also anyone remember Albion Motors on the corner of what is now Matt Busby Way Trafford Park I think Quicks moved in to the premices when Albion finnished.

Steve (Mushroomman)
Chatfields were on Ashton Old Road Ardwick (not far from Belle Vue) it was a Leyland agents and I cannot for the life of me remember what they were called before Chatfield in the 60s,I used to go in their for parts regular when I worked at John Biestys.

Stanfield:
Another Dodge agent in Manchester was Grimshaws on Cheetham Hill Road Prestwich end, it was also a Vauxhall agents.Also anyone remember Albion Motors on the corner of what is now Matt Busby Way Trafford Park I think Quicks moved in to the premices when Albion finnished.

Steve (Mushroomman)
Chatfields were on Ashton Old Road Ardwick (not far from Belle Vue) it was a Leyland agents and I cannot for the life of me remember what they were called before Chatfield in the 60s,I used to go in their for parts regular when I worked at John Biestys.

Remember Albion Motors very well, corner of Warwick road and Chester road. Pretty certain you’re right about Quicks.

I think Chatfields, on “the old road” used to be Rylands.

Ray

Thanks John, it was as you said Chatfield’s was on Ashton Old Road and not Hyde Road. :smiley: While you were at Biesty’s can you remember Jack Robinsons scrap yard on the corner of Queens Road and Rochdale Road in the 60’s/70’s, it was very good for second hand car and the odd truck part.
While I am thinking about it, wasn’t there a Hino agents and I think it could of been a Mack agents on the A6 as you came out of Bolton, about early 80’s, :confused: Ginger might know.

There was also a Ford Dealer on Ashton Old Road at the Manchester end called Houseleys IIRC, Regards Larry.

Yes, MRM, there was a Mack agent in Bolton, and lasted several years. Cannot for the life of me remember the name of it though.

gingerfold:
Yes, MRM, there was a Mack agent in Bolton, and lasted several years. Cannot for the life of me remember the name of it though.

Gingerfold was it CTS or CST as I think it was just initials then Mack distributors Bolton

cheers Johnnie

Lawrence Dunbar:
There was also a Ford Dealer on Ashton Old Road at the Manchester end called Houseleys IIRC, Regards Larry.

Larry thats the name of the company that was in the premices Chatfields moved into cheers for that I couldn’t remember the name for the life of me.They also supplied Leyland parts aswell as Ford.The building is still their selling 3 piece suits and the yard is a car wash.

Steve (Mushroomman) Jack Robinsons I remember it well in fact again the buildings are still there but in the form of a garage repair shop.Jack Robinson was a good friend of Tom Stephens who owned Biestys (he was John Biestys grandson) Tom that is.

Sheffield had
Phillips Handsworth Leyland dealer
Lodestar Stanley Street AEC
T.W.Wards Route’s group
Bentley Brothers Bedford
Pickford Dieghton Dodge and I think they changed to Seddon Atkinson
Willie Harrison Canklow Mercedes
Hallam Commercials Volvo taken over by Crossroad commercials
T.C.Harrison Ford
Ford & Slater which I think was parts for Atkinson

cheers Johnnie

Comberhill Ltd, Wakefield, Atkinson Dealers, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Comberhill Ltd, Wakefield, Atkinson Dealers, Regards Larry.

Larry they must have had the largest stock of the Krupp cab Atkinson,s as there always seemed to be 4 or 5 on show

cheers Johnnie