Manchester Ship Canal

I went on a cruise on the Manchester Ship Canal yesterday, Salford Quays to the Pier Head in Liverpool, and very interesting it was for someone like me who can remember Salford Docks in its pomp and all the industries that used to be along the canal bank around Irlam and Warrington amongst others places. For those in the North West looking for a day out with a difference I can recommend this trip which is run by Mersey Travel and uses one of the Mersey ferries. There are weekly cruises from now until mid-October, either Salford to Liverpool, or Liverpool to Salford with coach transfer back to your starting point included in the price.

And the price was?

It is £39 per head. It is about 6 hours on the canal.

We went on it a few years back, but going from Liverpool to Salford. Absolutely cracking day out, keep meaning to book it again.

I sometimes use the ferry to cross the Mersey, so am fmiliar with the form. Please tell me they don’t play that bloody song at intervals throughout the cruise.

gingerfold:

Do they have a dinning facilty on this Ferry, I fancy giving it a go, Regards Larry.

[zb]
anorak:
I sometimes use the ferry to cross the Mersey, so am fmiliar with the form. Please tell me they don’t play that bloody song at intervals throughout the cruise.

No they don’t play that bloody song. :astonished: The lady giving the commentary could have done with a bit more “personality”, if you get my drift. As my friend commented, “she’s got to be an ex-school teacher”.

Lawrence Dunbar:

gingerfold:

Do they have a dinning facilty on this Ferry, I fancy giving it a go, Regards Larry.

Yes, hot drinks and snacks, all day, plus licensed bar. We started off with fresh bacon barms, then a bowl of hot ‘scouse’ for lunch. Weather was bright and sunny but a chill breeze, but we were prepared with warm clothing for being outside for the entire cruise. Those ferries do up to 14 knots and the captain was doing it on certain stretches, then we had to wait for a small dredger following us to catch up so he could use the locks at the same time.

gingerfold:

Lawrence Dunbar:

gingerfold:

Yes, hot drinks and snacks, all day, plus licensed bar. We started off with fresh bacon barms, then a bowl of hot ‘scouse’ for lunch. Weather was bright and sunny but a chill breeze, but we were prepared with warm clothing for being outside for the entire cruise. Those ferries do up to 14 knots and the captain was doing it on certain stretches, then we had to wait for a small dredger following us to catch up so he could use the locks at the same time.

Thanks " Gingerfold" Regards Larry.

It’s one of those things I keep meaning to do. I bring the dogs into work and walk round the Quays most days. And then I live within spitting distance of the other end of the Ship Canal!

Been on it twice, well worth the money.

A few months ago a new bridge that lifts up was opened alongside the Barton High Level bridge on the M60. Using the Barton Bridge twice or more daily I had never seen the new bridge raised. Today, for the first time I actually used the new bridge and I had to stop as it was in the raised position. This tidy and smart ship was heading towards Manchester. It was good to see the Ship Canal being used for its intended purpose. (Click on photo to enlarge)

gingerfold:
A few months ago a new bridge that lifts up was opened alongside the Barton High Level bridge on the M60. Using the Barton Bridge twice or more daily I had never seen the new bridge raised. Today, for the first time I actually used the new bridge and I had to stop as it was in the raised position. This tidy and smart ship was heading towards Manchester. It was good to see the Ship Canal being used for its intended purpose. (Click on photo to enlarge)

“Arklow Rover” Graham,I’ve seen it several times in Douglas Bay IOM when calling for or dropping off a Mersey pilot when N/W winds stop pilotage from Liverpool Bar down and out of the river.

‘The big ship sails on the alley-alley-o’

Who remembers Manchester Liners in the Seventies. They had a notice inside the containers. Something like ‘We handle your goods as well as we can, but we can’t help the Atlantic being rough. Please pack carefully’.

John.

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

“Arklow Rover” Graham,I’ve seen it several times in Douglas Bay IOM when calling for or dropping off a Mersey pilot when N/W winds stop pilotage from Liverpool Bar down and out of the river.

Yes Chris, “Arklow Rover”, which I have googled. Launched in 2004, 5,000 tonnes. Almost certainly she was going to Cargill with a cargo of grain. (Cargill formerly Cerestar formerly Corn Products)

John West:

Who remembers Manchester Liners in the Seventies. They had a notice inside the containers. Something like ‘We handle your goods as well as we can, but we can’t help the Atlantic being rough. Please pack carefully’.

John.

John,

There is a thread on here re Manchester docks,Manchester Liners,and their half height 20footers are mentioned.

David

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

Yes Chris, “Arklow Rover”, which I have googled. Launched in 2004, 5,000 tonnes. Almost certainly she was going to Cargill with a cargo of grain. (Cargill formerly Cerestar formerly Corn Products)

Seen that a few times myself. I’ve joked about getting a jet ski to commute. I work at one end of the ship canal in Salford Quays and about 500 yards from it in Runcorn.

5thwheel:

John West:

John.

John,

There is a thread on here re Manchester docks,Manchester Liners,and their half height 20footers are mentioned.

David

Thanks David,

I’ll give that a good coat of looking at.

John.

5thwheel:

John West:

John.

John,

Waughs of Newcastle were part of the M/Liners group in the seventies, along with Wardles of Warrington, Craig’s of Barrhead, and Commercial Cartage from London. The half-heights mentioned were usually loaded with spring steel for Newton Aycliffe. We always sent them back to Trafford Park four at a time, they were at least 4tons each empty! The base/chassis on them was an RSJ about a foot deep. Regards Kev.
David

Cargills in Trafford Park have just sourced a large consignment of grain from France, so there will be regular traffic at the top end of the canal for the next few months mostly carried by Arklow shipping vessels. Also regular weekly imports of cement to Weaste (Premier Cement part of the Tarmac Group) from Limerick. Scrap metal export from Eccles EMR berth usually monthly. Port Salford on what was the Irlam Steel wharf sees a twice weekly container shuttle from Liverpool. Peel Ports advertised plan is to develop the upper reaches of the canal again to reduce road traffic, but there are regular problems with the swing bridges and locks due to lack of maintenance which regularly cause delays to shipping.

When I started driving in the early seventies for JB Carriers of Salford, much of our work was loading goods directly from conventional cargo ships at Manchester Docks from all over the world.Timber. tobacco, copper, newsprint were just some of our regular loads. By 1984 all gone, containerisation and bigger ships spelt the end for the upper reaches. Just coasters now with the docks media City and posh waterside flats

If you want to try a different experience on the North West waterways, have a look at a trip in the Daniel Adamson a fully restored 1903 coal fired steam tug/tender which was used by the MSC until 1984 to take VIPs on tours of the canal and dock system. (Not biased but I am a member of the crew!)

Check it out on the the website thedanny.co.uk/

Blind Bob