Astran / Middle East Drivers

Hi Kurt, I have been re reading your thread and I think that after a very long search, I might of found your Douglas Dakota D.C.3.
But first I have come across another photo that I took on a trip to Italy which I must of taken some time after your trip through Nantua.

Now the Dakota.

Re Question 10.
Have you updated your thread recently because I thought that you mentioned that you entered Bulgaria during the night and then took the photo of the Dakota. But now it says that as you took the photo during the day, then you must of taken it before Gradne, which of course is in Yugoslavia.
I think that I mentioned that at the back of my mind that there was also another Dakota parked next to a restaurant somewhere in Eastern Europe but at the time that I was writing I just couldn’t think where it was.
After thinking about it I thought that it must have been somewhere along the main T.I.R. road as there was really only one decent road through Yugoslavia so everybody heading towards Bulgaria must of passed it. It finally occurred to me just where it might be so I tried to see if I could find it on Google Earth and after a lot of searching I think that I might of found it.
It might take about a minute to load and after you have looked at the area then follow the road to your left. You go through a series of much improved tunnels, follow the river gorge for about ten kilometres and you might remember why it was never a good idea to drive at night in the Commie Block.

google.com/maps/@43.3093863 … 312!8i6656

I am not absolutely sure but does this look like the cockpit of a D.C.3. (with no wings) tucked in besides the building.
Could the newish house on the right be where the D.C.3 once stood in the photos. :confused:
And that rumour that I heard all those years ago about The Allies suppling The Partisans in World War two and the story of the Dakota being left in the area. Could there of been some truth in it as there is quite a large flat area in the field just across the road.
Maybe that’s where the rumour got a bit mixed up with the Dakota in Bulgaria which is in a mountainous area, who knows for sure, I don’t but I think that this is the area where all those photos where taken.
I never knew until just now that this area is actually called Sicevo Gorge and I am sure that all you old Middle East men remember it. It’s a shame now because of the height of the trees you can hardly see the river.

google.com/maps/@43.3199928 … 312!8i6656

And thanks to Sandway for posting this.

Regards Steve.