Old Cafe's

Ive asked this a while ago , The Highway Transport Cafe Barnsdale Bar on the old A 1 at Wentbridge, its a L/Chef now , the grub was canny but the tea, well it was total stewed p.ss. you could stand the spoon up in it , it had been on the hob allday in a 3 gallon teapot, happy days eh., Regards Larry

Another good cafe comes to mind on the old A 18. at Ashby Ville Nr Scunthorpe Marshalls good grub & clean, Im sure the had wagons, tankers I think, that was in the 60/70s. Is it still going I wonder. Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
Another good cafe comes to mind on the old A 18. at Ashby Ville Nr Scunthorpe Marshalls good grub & clean, Im sure the had wagons, tankers I think, that was in the 60/70s. Is it still going I wonder. Regards Larry

Never used it larry but used to see tank trls dropped on the park,if its the same one it was on left hand side coming out of scunny.
regards dave…

dafdave:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Never used it larry but used to see tank trls dropped on the park,if its the same one it was on left hand side coming out of scunny.
regards dave…

Marshalls had pet products tankers and gas tankers,the gas was marketed under “Marlin” which was I suppose short for Marshalls and Lincolnshire.Their yard was on the right going out of Scunthorpe towards Brigg on the A18.

Chris Webb:

dafdave:

Lawrence Dunbar:

regards dave…

Marshalls had pet products tankers and gas tankers,the gas was marketed under “Marlin” which was I suppose short for Marshalls and Lincolnshire.Their yard was on the right going out of Scunthorpe towards Brigg on the A18.

Thats right on the right going out.

harry_gill:

big gee:
Boss Hoggs at Caple st mary on the A12 is still going ( only just ) every time i go in there its always empty and it’s not because of the food,i think the breakfast is very nice, we need to keep these old cafe’s going.

hiya,
Trouble is “big gee” there’s too many packed lunch drivers out there now I suppose it’s a sign of the times, the prices some of the places ask is a bit cheeky though, and you can’t blame drivers who try to save a few bob by taking food with them from home I never did it but then cafe’s wasn’t charging astronomical prices for meals when I did the job.
thanks harry long retired.

Could it have something to do with the “must crack on” attitude ?.
The days of chewing the fat (no pun intended)in transport cafes have long gone.
Imo,apart from a few old school, modern day “truckers” on general or tramping wouldnt have a clue where a transpot cafe was unless its on their sat nav- the craic has long gone.

Aye your quite right, I wonder how they would do if they had to go to London on the old A1… My first stop was the Red House at Doncaster, then push on to Tonys at Spittlegate Hill at Grantham & still over a hundred mile to go, then call at Bobs at Puckeridge on the A10. seemed to take forever in those days 50/60, but we did it no problem. Regards Larry, now retired but I still think about the good old days.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye your quite right, I wonder how they would do if they had to go to London on the old A1… My first stop was the Red House at Doncaster, then push on to Tonys at Spittlegate Hill at Grantham & still over a hundred mile to go, then call at Bobs at Puckeridge on the A10. seemed to take forever in those days 50/60, but we did it no problem. Regards Larry, now retired but I still think about the good old days.

Totally agree Larry.
Not yet retired meself but dont aim to carry on driving lorries much longer.
When you say"in those days 50/60" was the decades or the speed? :laughing:
Too many logistics :angry: companies around nowadays, telling you it will take so and so long to get from A to B, because thats what the computer says! - what ever happened to road haulage and transport firms?

Suedehead:
Imo,apart from a few old school, modern day “truckers” on general or tramping wouldnt have a clue where a transpot cafe was unless its on their sat nav- the craic has long gone.

Not over here they haven’t, thank goodness, and all the young 'uns learn where the good stops now by passed are, from us old 'uns. :laughing:

I’m back on the road again in a minor way after nearly 9 years of retirement and little has changed - except for the TV in the corner of the ceiling of course. :smiling_imp:

Thankfully the sound is usually turned down and it isn’t long before it is ignored as the chat flows. :smiley:

Spardo:

Suedehead:

Not over here they haven’t, thank goodness, and all the young 'uns learn where the good stops now by passed are, from us old 'uns. :laughing:

I’m back on the road again in a minor way after nearly 9 years of retirement and little has changed - except for the TV in the corner of the ceiling of course. :smiling_imp:

Thankfully the sound is usually turned down and it isn’t long before it is ignored as the chat flows. :smiley:

Thought there was a weight limit through the du “chat” nowadays? :laughing:

v7victor:

Chris Webb:

dafdave:

Lawrence Dunbar:

regards dave…

Thats right on the right going out.

I stand corrected cheers gents,trouble is now i cant think which one im thinking about,over that way somewere could possibly be grimsby area,forgive my ramblings owd age is terrible. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
regards dave.

From page 46, you metioned a cafe near Delph on the A62, Was it the Waterhead ?. Regards Larry

A old cafe on the A34 Woodleys at Stone , Near Bassetts of Tittensor , I used to eat there sometimes in the 60s. It was decent all round, I wonder if it is still there? Regards Larry

josies Rotherham now long gone

revman:

hiya,
Didn’t this place have beds as well I seem to remember staying there and it would have been in the late 50 didn’t know of it so must have been booked in by some depot or other,
thanks harry long retired…

harry_gill:

revman:

hiya,
Didn’t this place have beds as well I seem to remember staying there and it would have been in the late 50 didn’t know of it so must have been booked in by some depot or other,
thanks harry long retired…

I believe it did have upstairs Harry to close to home for me only used it for a quick cuppa or the pop in round the corner regards Alan

Was that place still going in the early 80s ? ime sure ive been in there.

transporter man:

Lawrence Dunbar:
The Woodlands comes to mind at Bawtrey, ring any bells ? Regards Larry

I cannot remember to be honest I know there was a Woodlands at Micklefield.
BAWTREY CAFE I think now after hours of thinking about the good old watering holes, could it have been the Avro Cafe, As I recall it was one of the goodins. Regards Larry

Transporterman was it the Avro Cafe Bawtrey?

Lawrence Dunbar:
Transporterman was it the Avro Cafe Bawtrey?

Larry it would be interesting if you and Harry put all the places you drank dry of whisky. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: