LHD LAD-cab Leylands

I wouldn’t normally open a thread dedicated to a '60s lorry model, as these belong to the province of my teenage-hood. However, I keep finding pictures of LHD sleeper-cabbed export versions of them. There is some cross-over from boyhood into adult-hood too, because it just so happens that I owned (and frequently drove) a LAD-cab Leyland bus in the early '90s. It was a 1964 Titan PD2/27A double-decker. In the bus world they were not called LAD cabs, but ‘St-Helens cowls’. Well, I wasn’t in the bus world, as this Leyland 0.600 powered ex bus was now a motor caravan. It had a 4-speed synchro box, heavy ‘armstrong’ steering, was horrendously noisy but was a joy to drive.

Back to these lorries, then. Here are lots of pictures of LHD LAD-cabbed Leyland artics doing their bit in East Germany (DDR), Belgium and France. Presumably they were powered by 0.600s or 0.680s (both good engines). What was the transmission, I wonder… Please spill the beans! Robert :smiley:

This was French…

leylandcouch.jpg

These were Belgian…

fe97.jpg
Leyland Belgi_.jpg

This was Belgian…

This Beaver was Turkish…

Beaver Natrans.jpg

This was actually an Albion…

And these were clearly part of a large fleet of East German (DDR) Beavers…

6553854463_6472596048_z.jpg
8646949123_051a902705_z.jpg

mj69sy.jpg

I’ll bet there’s an interesting history attached to such a large consignment of Leyland Beavers to the DDR. Robert

I am also aware that LHD LAD-cabbed Leylands were marketed in Israel under the name of Ashod. Here’s a pic. Robert

is ley.jpg

Meanwhile, another DDR pic has just materialised. Robert

dh.jpg

hey Robert, the Duquesne Purina is a French one, look at the right door window. :smiley:
Nice pics but they couldn’t keep up with the AEC’s, a cramped cab, and as power plus not reliable, and not specially built for export as the AEC’s.

Eric,

tiptop495:
hey Robert, the Duquesne Purina is a French one, look at the right door window. :smiley:
Nice pics but they couldn’t keep up with the AEC’s, a cramped cab, and as power plus not reliable, and not specially built for export as the AEC’s.

Eric,

Ah, French - thanks Eric! Robert

robert1952:
I am also aware that LHD LAD-cabbed Leylands were marketed in Israel under the name of Ashod. Here’s a pic. Robert

There is discussion of the various LAD export efforts dotted about the forum, for example there is, somewhere :laughing: , a series of posts about the different coachbuilders’ sleeper cabs and which markets they were aimed at.

Were the Israeli fibreglass LADs made from the same moulds as the British ones, or is there a connection to Belgium? I cannot work it out.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

There is discussion of the various LAD export efforts dotted about the forum, for example there is, somewhere :laughing: , a series of posts about the different coachbuilders’ sleeper cabs and which markets they were aimed at.

Were the Israeli fibreglass LADs made from the same moulds as the British ones, or is there a connection to Belgium? I cannot work it out.

Yes, I too am aware of various references scattered across the forum - it’s just a matter of finding the bits and making them fit. An interesting discussion appears on the ‘What went wrong’ thread (here’s the link: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=77860&p=1514539&hilit=ashod#p1514539) between Leyland Ash and Saviem, in which it appears that Brossel in Belgium produced a GRP version of the Vista Vue cab, which although it didn’t materialise in Belgium, was used by Ashod in Israel. This, I think, answers your question.

Meanwhile, here’s this contribution (courtesy of Richard Stanier’s collection). Robert

robert1952:
…Yes, I too am aware of various references scattered across the forum - it’s just a matter of finding the bits and making them fit. An interesting discussion appears on the ‘What went wrong’ thread (here’s the link: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=77860&p=1514539&hilit=ashod#p1514539) between Leyland Ash and Saviem, in which it appears that Brossel in Belgium produced a GRP version of the Vista Vue cab, which although it didn’t materialise in Belgium, was used by Ashod in Israel. This, I think, answers your question…

Well found, sir. That suggests that the Brossel cab was engineered separately from the unpopular British fibreglass LAD, although I am not sure.

IIRC, the “official” Leyland sleeper was built by a coachbuilder down South somewhere- the cabs (or vehicles) were sent down for the modification to be done. More info here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70093&p=887724

Really good work by these chaps:
baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/ … 99a&page=2

Robert, the Turkish picture is either a Comet or Super Comet. Short door LAD cab.

SteveR:
Robert, the Turkish picture is either a Comet or Super Comet. Short door LAD cab.

Cheers - it might have been cut down from a ‘tonka’ then! Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:
I’ll bet there’s an interesting history attached to such a large consignment of Leyland Beavers to the DDR. Robert

I’ve never understood the trade regime with,what at the time,was supposedly a hostile Cold War ‘enemy’ Russian run bloc.Ironically my own employers did more trade with the eastern bloc during the 1970’s and little if any with our supposed EU ‘partners’.While selling at least around a similar amount of the largest most expensive products to Poland and Yugoslavia as the few domestic sales. :confused:

This was posted on the Danish Bacon thread. The number plates look as if they might be Danish… Robert

lhd leylands D.jpg

Model not mine! Robert

DSCF0871.JPG

f.jpg

gokhan_diler_ley4.jpg

Ley%20DK.jpg
leylandsvensendk.png