The Sudan trucking scene

I’ve just spent eight days in Sudan (not South Sudan). What a wonderful place! Marvellous, friendly, welcoming people. I was mostly travelling among tribes in the desert and visiting ancient pyramid sites, but of course, me being me, I made sure I knew what the trucking scene was doing.

Most of the pics here were taken on the Port Sudan to Khartoum road. Nearly all the big lorries were double-bottomed artics (artic and trailer with dolly).

The doubles were limited to 80 kph maximum at 70 tonnes gross. Artics were permitted only 35 tonnes. Much of it was container traffic.

I stuck to Landcruiser or camel (see pic below). Robert :laughing:

DSCF4733.JPG

You have been WHERE?? :open_mouth: Given what is going on in that whole part of the world, im not sure if you are very brave or completely nuts! :laughing:

Some people even missed you… viewtopic.php?f=35&t=119993

Must have been a bit of an adventure though! :wink:

It’s quite peaceful there. My Arabic was understood everywhere. Excellent trip! Robert :smiley:

DSCF4732.JPG

Ancient Fiat…

Typical truck stop…

and a bit of Yankee metal to throw in the mix!

HI robert was the camel a left ■■■■■■.very good photographs good honest looking trucks not messed about no crap in the screen , no curtains ,swags and tails… and all tarted up like some of the painted glory boys here …also it looked as if the sheeting would have passed the ■■■■■■■■ test , hope we get to see more…i bet you had a double bottom after that ride…

Just viewed the photos very good i see that east west are still going they kept that quite Daf 95…it blows our road haulage away, yes different country i know. i bet there were no ladies of the night at the truck stop■■? robert you are truck nets intrepid reporter. power to you …woolwich ferry for me.now a “sandwich”.

deckboypeggy:
HI robert was the camel a left ■■■■■■.very good photographs good honest looking trucks not messed about no crap in the screen , no curtains ,swags and tails… and all tarted up like some of the painted glory boys here …also it looked as if the sheeting would have passed the ■■■■■■■■ test , hope we get to see more…i bet you had a double bottom after that ride…

:laughing: Yes! I think only Oz camels are right-hookers, these were left!! And yes I did have a double-bottom after that ride because just as we approached the pyramids at Meroe (8th century BC), it decided to break into a jarring trot.

And I agree about the absence of clutter and decoration: it was the first thing that struck me about the tractor units. Some of them still had Dutch and English (etc) signwriting on them but I was unable to snap any. Robert :smiley:

By special request from Deckboypeggy (I’m enjoying your new thread BTW), here are some more Sudanese pics. Robert :smiley:

The other sort of haulage was done by these:

DSCF4680.JPG

Or on a pick-up… Slightly wide load there. Robert :laughing:

DSCF4639.JPG

A braver man than me Robert, it scares me just crossing from England into Wales incase the natives are unfriendly! :open_mouth: Good pics and glad that you arrived back in one piece.

Pete.

windrush:
A braver man than me Robert, it scares me just crossing from England into Wales incase the natives are unfriendly! :open_mouth: Good pics and glad that you arrived back in one piece.

Pete.

Cheers mate! Here are some more scenes - a bit hazy, I’m afraid, but they show the scene. Robert

DSCF4554.JPG

In the desert I saw mostly Hinos and a couple of Scanias and Volvo, those crappy chinese trucks stay mostly on tarmac. Those Ivecos are equipped like those Hinos I saw, maybe they are also made for desert driving ?

Welcome back Robert.

A very interesting trip by the look,

David

David Miller:
Welcome back Robert.

A very interesting trip by the look,

David

Thanks David! More in the pipe-line and I’ll find some more transport to record. Robert :smiley:

That camel has the rite hump :laughing: :laughing:

tango boy:
That camel has the rite hump :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve done a fair bit of camel trekking in the Middle-East over the years and yes, if a camel gets the hump he’s likely to spit and even bite. But you have to stick with it because he can go where even an ERF can’t go! Robert :laughing:

Having said that, here’s a picture that ‘Wirlinmirlin’ put on the Taseco thread disproving my theory! Foiled again!

img037 Taseco Trans.jpg