Long-haul Cab Packs

This topic crops up on a number of threads from time to time; most recently on the Astran thread. I thought I’d just try and draw the different players together in a single thread, to sort out who did, and who didn’t, produce long-haul cab packs or ‘Middle-East Specials’!

As always, when I kick off a new thread, I’ll post some stimulating pics and info to get the ball rolling. Robert :smiley:

I’ll start with the Volvo F88/89, and a picture recently posted on the Astran thread by Jimski. I believe Volvo didn’t market a ‘special’ as such, but simply made bespoke one-offs to order (correct me if I’m wrong). Here too is an article about the F88 long-hauler. Robert

F89 kitchen pack.jpg

DAF had its ‘Supercontinental’ version of the 2800 DKS. Robert :slight_smile:

PS2-thumb-385x484-110495.jpeg

DAF-AI-FTT2800-cab AFGHAN.jpg

Here’s the leyland marathon middle east spec

Saviem had a very elaborate affair, with the fabulous name of Orient Express! Robert :smiley:

I’LL ADD THE REST LATER…Robert

…here’s the rest of the Saviem ‘Orient Express’. Robert

Thanks for adding the Marathon, Irish Lorries - saved me a job! Cheers.

Here are a few more snippets on the Marathon Middle-East special. Robert :smiley:

0093.jpg

This one appears to be a bit of a false lead. The press cutting implies that ERF knocked out these VIJORE NGCs as Middle-East specials, but I gather from one of the drivers (zzarbean, I think it was) that Eric Vick / Richard Read kitted them out in the yard and the drivers brought their own cooking gear. Normal then! Robert

The Bedford TM was another. Robert :slight_smile:

Then there was the Kenworth K100E ‘Trans-Orient’. Robert

Interior-1.jpg
Interior-2.jpg
Interior-3.jpg
Interior-4.jpg
Interior-5.jpg

I drove this Volvo F12 Globe-trotter with the long-haul pack, complete with spirit stove! But I have no information in my files on the Volvo pack. Anything out there? Robert

I can find very little on the Ford Transcontinental ‘Long-Haul’ pack, but there is a section devoted to it on page 19 of one of the RHD sales brochures - see below. Robert :slight_smile:

And what about Scania? Didn’t the series 1 units have a long-haul pack on offer? These, if instance… Robert

13.jpg

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this little mystery. When ERF brought out its LHD C-series, it allegedly had a new high-spec ‘Overlander’ cab. In the event, as far as I know, all their LHD C-series went out to work in the Gulf for companies like Taseco in Dammam. But was the original hope that British operators would buy them to do the Middle-East run with? And if so, was the Overlander cab a long-haul pack: a Middle-East special? Robert :question:

Great new thread Robert, look forward to seeing some pics from back in the day of the various “packs” in real trucks and out on the road. Also, you gotta love the Saviem route cards! :smiley:

Brilliant robert, ,i had most of these lorries as posters on my wall when i was a kid,my dad had a w reg f12 and the kitchen pack was a 2 ring cooker and a blue plastic bowl to get a wash in :laughing:

Thanks, chaps! I’m sure we’ll lure some more out of the wood work ere long! Robert :smiley:

Hi Robert! I have read somewere here on TN about the pack for the Volvo,Cant remember were.sorry. Oh and it was in Swedish so maby some one else will remember it.

Danne

Hi its me again :smiley: well i found a litle bit on the Volvo F10 F12 F16 thread on page 2! And that was in english :smiley:

Danne

robert1952:
And what about Scania? Didn’t the series 1 units have a long-haul pack on offer? These, if instance… Robert

Hey Robert, Scania’s were made for real drivers and not Burgundies (Bon Vivants) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I put out the right seat on some of mine, and believe me the old small bonneted cab
of the Scania (Vabis) 76/110/111 did roomy in that time,( but with an extremely small bank. :frowning: )
The F88 was he best to put ou the seat you were sitting on the right height, other had
the bottem bank to low.
Eric,