Engines - Leyland 0.680

While there’s lots on here about Gardners (rightfully so) I cant find much about Leyland engines, and particularly its 0.600 and 0.680. I know both (especially the 0.680) were common in buses and coaches (e.g. Routemaster, Leyland Leopard, Leyland Atlantean/ Daimler Fleetline, Leyland National 2, Bristol RE). I know Scammells used them (Routeman, Trunker). I know DAF based its highly successful DKS1160 (that powered various 2800, 3300 and 3600 wagons in various forms) on the 0.680.

But what else used these useful, reliable lumps? Am I right that Leyland’s TL11 was essentially a turbo’d 0.680?

Leyland engines were also used in plant and for railway traction. AEC and Leyland marketed and badged their railcar engines as BUT, British United Traction. The horizontal Leyland version being sold as a BUT RE680. There is a crawler tractor on The Stade at Hastings which maybe still is used to pull fishing trawlers up onto the beach, this has a version of the Leyland 600 or 680 in it, but there does not appear to be any manufacturer’s badge for the machine present.

In Belgium, the local bus & truck manufacturer BROSSEL (Anderlecht, Brussels) standardized on Leyland engines for her bus models from the late forties till the end of production in 1968.

I was parked up in Poland, some years ago, on a golden autumn morning. While I was brewing tea, I heard the unmistakable sound of a 0.680 starting up. The unit emitting that satisfying sound was an elderly Star, made in Poland. I later read somewhere that Star did in fact use 0.680s. Perhaps someone will verify this. Robert :slight_smile:

Hiya… DOZERS… hundred of them. and they didn’t give the trouble road engines. and the rubber tyre
loading shovels before Cat got their foot hold . damned good plant engine. good engine anyhow.
John

When i was at British Oxygen in the early 70s we had Fodens with 680s in,flying machines but the noisiest lorry ive ever driven.They got the Univercity of Leeds to come out and sound check them,in cab they were knocking out 110 decibels,and,believe me,thats loud
They installed loads of sound deadening material,it helped,but a cracking engine,especially mated to Fodens 12 speed box

ParkRoyal2100:
While there’s lots on here about Gardners (rightfully so) I cant find much about Leyland engines, and particularly its 0.600 and 0.680. I know both (especially the 0.680) were common in buses and coaches (e.g. Routemaster, Leyland Leopard, Leyland Atlantean/ Daimler Fleetline, Leyland National 2, Bristol RE). I know Scammells used them (Routeman, Trunker). I know DAF based its highly successful DKS1160 (that powered various 2800, 3300 and 3600 wagons in various forms) on the 0.680.

But what else used these useful, reliable lumps? Am I right that Leyland’s TL11 was essentially a turbo’d 0.680?

Hi Used to drive a Foden With 680 In It, Serious Power/Speed Catch Pidgeons Cheers Chris.

The 600 / 680 series was a little before my time and my experience was with the 400 series in Reivers and Clydesdales and then the 500 / 502 in the Bison / Octopus but I remember standing next to an old time fitter at the Leyland stand at the motor show where they had a demo model of the newly announced TL11 and he said it was the nearest thing to a 680 he had seen for years.
So essentially the TL11 was a 600 / 680 but, I think, with some reengineering to accommodate the turbo.
In my experience the TL11 was a good reliable engine especially with the Fuller 9 speed as in the Bison 2 and Constructor but it was heavier than the 502.
I know of one livestock transporter who had a 6 wheel F7 with a drag but when he got a Bison2 found the Leyland performed better.
Unfortunately the Leyland was let down by the cab and driver comforts.
We had a DAF F 2000 bought new in 1975 and the engine block in that was very similar to the 600 / 680

It won’t be as load as the Foden, but this Routeman is loud enough.
youtube.com/watch?v=FVE8s5aXkQs

Well Foden we ran was an Ex BOC Motor with a Leyland 680 PP, Plus the good old Foden 12 speed box 52 MPH Top speed but it was a cracking motor, Good on fuel plus the S36 cab was insulated on this one not noisey at all, The good old Leyland/Foden days, Regards Larry.

Pickford,s ran a lot of Scammells with the Leyland 600 & 680 & 680 PP we still had an old junior constructor with a 600 in it which was rated at 80 tons GTW but it would only do 31/32 mph but it would do the job "slowly " the first highwayman I drove had the 600 in and the brakes were three pumps then pray brakes, but the others had the 680 or power plus in and these would run at around 40/45 tons GTW without any problem and would mostly do around 38/39 mph except one which would do about 43 mph as it had bigger tyres on the drive axle and slightly higher gearing, they were not much trouble at all although they were noisy more so in bonnet-ed form
cheers Johnnie

I was surprised to see the fuel pump modifications to the 600 and 680’s.
The horizontal bus engine had a PDA pump here in Aus.
Stationary engines in machinery often had a vacuum governor fitted to the CAV or Simms pump.
A nice big engine which would last forever if only Leyland had sorted some glaringly obvious mistakes.
Ancient history now but they sure had an instantly recognisable engine note when starting.
I found for pulling power the 680’s would run rings around the AEC 690, theoretically should have been the other way around, but no.

Chaseside fitted Leyland 600 and 680 power plus in their s/l 2000-2500 and s/l 3000 loading shovels when I worked there as an apprentice fitter in the 60s,really powerful and reliable engines.They were also used in the Leyland octopus etc and GUYs and FODENS to name a few,i still have a parts manual for the 680 somewhere. regards, jack preston. :slight_smile:

My father had a 1967 LEYLAND RETRIVER FEJ391F that was fitted with a .600 engine.I do remember the driver phoneing back one day complaining of low oil pressure my father told him to come back but to stop if the pressure got to low.The lorry came home with very low oil pressure but was leeking oil from around the sump.The dipstick was taken out and the sump was overfilled upon investigation there was diesel in the oil more diesel than oil.Tappet covers were removed but the return pipes were not broken so the injectors were removed and when tested there was a crack in the body of one of the injectors.New injectors were fitted and the sump was filled with fresh oil and the engine ran as sweet as a nut for many years after that.TRYthat with modern engines

robert1952:
I was parked up in Poland, some years ago, on a golden autumn morning. While I was brewing tea, I heard the unmistakable sound of a 0.680 starting up. The unit emitting that satisfying sound was an elderly Star, made in Poland. I later read somewhere that Star did in fact use 0.680s. Perhaps someone will verify this. Robert :slight_smile:

Hey Robert, Jelcz used a copy the 0.680 and had early a alu gearbox behind it, but Star was a light weight lorry so ■■?.

God natt Eric, :laughing:

hello ,don,t forgot SISU, used 400 in the KONTIO and 680 in JYRY and KB modells

The Leyland O.600 had its beginnings in the latter stages of WW2 and became one of Leyland’s best ever power units. It was developed into the larger bore O.680 in the 1950s and both this and the O.600 were world class engines, used in many applications at home and overseas. Not mentioned previously are Pegaso (Spain) and Hotchkis (France) who both used Leyland engines. Development of both engines into uprated Power-Plus versions initially took away some reliability, head gasket problems etc. and shorter engine life. The TL11 was a hastily cobbled together lightly turbo-charged O.680 and it did well. There was an earlier turbo-charged version, the Leyland 690, (not to be confused with the AEC AV690), which was troublesome and was soon withdrawn when the fixed head 500 series was introduced. I think that it’s fair to say that the O.600 / O 680 was the peak of Leyland’s engine developments, after that it was all downhill.

Thanks for the input fellers. I’d forgotten about the Power Plus, I guess relibility problems sprang up because of insufficient development and (presumably) extra stress on major components. Nonetheless It’s interesting to learn the 0.600 and 0.680 were as well regarded in haulage (and earthmoving) circles as they were in the bus and coach game, and I’d no idea so many makes (domestic and European) used them - speaks volumes about them IMO.

joeshell:
When i was at British Oxygen in the early 70s we had Fodens with 680s in…in cab they were knocking out 110 decibels,and,believe me,thats loud

Yeah, I like to be able to hear what the engine in whatever I’m driving is doing (far too many modern wagons - and buses - are too quiet) and I like a motor with some music to it, but I can understand being sat on top of a bellowing engine all day all night could get a bit wearing. 110dB is chainsaw territory and if you’re subject to that for long periods without ear protection your mates find you shouting a lot for no apparent reason.

Various 0.680 installations - they all sound different, but when you listen they all have “beat” to them.

Leyland Atlantean:

Daimler Fleetline:

Scammell Routeman

Leyland Leopard

Bristol RE

Lastly a TL11 in an Octopus (one of NZ Jamie’s vids I think)

tiptop495:

robert1952:

Hey Robert, Jelcz used a copy the 0.680 and had early a alu gearbox behind it, but Star was a light weight lorry so ■■?.

God natt Eric, :laughing:

Spot on Eric!! Yes, it was a Jelcz, not a Star. Robert :smiley: