Hudsons of Pudsey and Hudson Shepherd Transport

I used to work for Hudsons of Pudsey.They were based on Cemetary Rd in Pudsey.West Yorks.
They later became Hudson Shepherd after the new bosses bought James Shepherd transport of Todmorden and another company that was based in Shipley and at Hawick
They had depots at Brighouse,Dunstable and Hawick

I was based at Brighouse and drove 7.5 tonners.

Names i can remember: Clive fox.thats my dad :smiley: .the Poxons,Jason[gregory?],

Hell i was there over 13 years and yet my memory has gone utterly blank…

Anyway the company was swallowed by UCI logistics.And is now merely history.

Does any one else remember the company?

Have you any anecdotes?

I remember United Carriers buying Hudson Shepherd around the same time they bought Ripponden and District.

One of the regular runs we had was West Yorkshire C & D with a collection in Ripponden and then finish off at Gildersome to meet a Hudson Shepherd truck before taking it back to Howden for the night trunk.

Thanks Wheel Nut

Having spoken to my dad about this we managed to remember that the scottish arm was Youngs transport and we also took some drivers on when the hanging goods haulier Scorpio Transport was closed down by United Carriers.

Scorpio transport ran mainly Leylands in a gloss black finish…

Hudsons livery was red and white,the old BRS colours??, and i had quite a few motors while i was there.
My first regular drive when i started driving full time with them was a 0608 Ford D series followed by a 0709 D series.Neither in thier first flush of youth :slight_smile:

I had a X plate…SJX 513 X… plate Ford Cargo for a while.We,the mechanics and i, ended up calling it the six day wonder.
I wont have 13 in my car plates after that now :smiley:

My regular truck was a MAN 8.150 with a sleeper pod.What a sweetheart of a motor…I drove that for over six years and put an average 100kpa on her

Her diff broke on the A15 one day going into Lincoln and they wouldnt replace it…She only had 750,000km on the clock too :laughing: :laughing:

I left after they got a certain transport manager in and before the company was closed down.

Yes i remember Scorpio, that used to do the hanging garments. We took some of the trucks in at Howden, and the swapbodies were painted in our workshops.

We also ran the Sovereign trucks and my KM was a blue cab rather than the yellow of UC. I did Lincoln with that for 2 years, running out of Battle Hayward and Bower.

There was also an Irish company we took over and I had a Dodge in their livery for a while, it would catch pigeons :smiley:

Were all these takeovers done when Bunzl was running UCL?

We seemed to be forever getting new corporate uniforms :exclamation:

maverickfoxx:
Hudsons livery was red and white,the old BRS colours??,

You don’t mean Hudson Shepherds do you? I thought their colours were 2 tone red.

Remember the company hymn though

‘Hudson Shepherds come away, come away.’

Or was that nymphs…■■? :confused: :confused:

Salut, David.

The company was bought out by Nippon Yuesen Kenso and became UCI Logistics aka Useless C`s in Lorries :laughing: :laughing:

They are still about as NYK Logistics and do a lot of work,if not all the work?,for Toyota at Burnaston.They have the old FB Atkins yard at the side of the A38

Spardo: 2 tone red? Ahh yes Red and Rust! :imp: :imp:

maverickfoxx:
.They have the old FB Atkins yard at the side of the A38

:

What happened to them then?
I remember all the old Atkis and the cropper they came buying in a load of 3 axle units thinking the weights were going up, and then having to wait years.

Took a test there once in an old ergo AEC. Nothing came of it though.

Salut, David.

I think,tho i wouldnt swear to it,that they got bought by Bunzl when they were going through an expansion phase and trying to build a UK road carriers network.

They sold it all to to NYK. NYK wanted and got the Toyota work.And eventually instead of the yard being Atkins the UCI lot took over.

Not sure if the Common Rd depot is still open.Not been on there for a while.

NYK was after my time with them then. Bunzl owned us for a while when we took Tom and Jerry over too.

Howden workshop was the engine builder for the group and also the bodyshop, the lad in the paint shop didnt know what day it was with all the livery changes :confused:

Spardo:

maverickfoxx:
.They have the old FB Atkins yard at the side of the A38

:

What happened to them then?
I remember all the old Atkis and the cropper they came buying in a load of 3 axle units thinking the weights were going up, and then having to wait years.

Took a test there once in an old ergo AEC. Nothing came of it though.

Salut, David.

The Findern site has been razed to the ground, and a new “NYK Logistics & Megacarrier” facility built on the site for Toyota business.

NYK did run Atkins on container haulage for a while from Eling Wharf in Totton and maybe Findern as well. I think it was early 2001 when they closed it. They were still running some of the old close-coupled tri-axle PSK (French-spec bogies) at the time. Not sure whether these may even have started life as tilts on Atkins International. Some of them even lived on for a while running out of Southampton under the New Wave Logistics banner.

Yes, they had quite a few 6x2 Atkis (like mine!), but I’m not sure that they were specced for higher weights or just to prevent drive axle overloads on front-heavy containers. Mine started life with Northern Ireland Trailers at Preston Dock, but was only spec’d as a 32T motor. Under the legislation at the time, you effectively needed 5 axles for 32T with a 40’ trailer, and you certainly did if you ran, say, 30/33’ trailers, as a container operator of the time might have done

If memory serves well I think the shepherd vehicles were green and I think they had some Bedfords with a box body on, that is if it is the same company

atlas man:
If memory serves well I think the shepherd vehicles were green and I think they had some Bedfords with a box body on, that is if it is the same company

You’re correct Shepherds vehicle were green mostly box vans,although they did have a couple of flatbed I believe,this was because at the time James Shepherds were the Vauxhall/Bedford agents for the Calder Valley.they were based in Hebden Bridge and ran the vehicles from a yard on Valley road.My late brother Andy Butler worked for Shepherds and later when they became part of Hudson-Shepherd when joined with Arthur Hudson’s of Pudsey.