1966 Austin (BMC) VAK100 Noddy Van

Good evening folks. May I introduce myself?

My name’s Glen Anderson, and I’ve been involved with lorries and cars (and anything else oily) since I was a small boy. My father and uncles all drove lorries, and it was always my ambition to do the same. I passed my test back in 1990 and, after the usual shaky start due to being too young to find employment, spent many years driving in the UK and across Europe and beyond. Marriage and a change of career path have seen me turn to driving trains for a living, something I’ve been doing for the last ten years or so. Lorries, however, particularly old ones, still have a hold on me! :smiley:

I’ve documented this saga on other forums but, as we all know, part of writing up this kind of stuff is to get feedback, encouragement and support from likeminded enthusiasts, as well as simply recording it for posterity. A member on one of the other forums I visit suggested here might be a good place to post my story, and having had a brief look around it seems like he was right!

So; part one… ;D

Bit of back-story, for those who don’t already know me from elsewhere (with a bit of editing as facts have come to light over the last year)…

When I was a kid, my parents bought a small plot of land to build a house on. My dad needed somewhere dry and secure to keep his tools etc. whilst the house was being built; preferably something cheap, easily erected and disposed of once it was no longer needed. He had two mates (Jack Proctor and Jack Pilbeam) at the local BRS depot in Wincheap, Canterbury; one the workshop manager, the other the general manager I believe (happy to be corrected). One of them, according to my mum, suggested that one of the parcel vans he had been charged with scrapping might be ideal. So one was duly commandeered, the choice of which was down to the unlikely coincidence of it bearing the registration JOY, which is my sister’s name.

It did sterling service as a shed for several years, here it is in the background, with me in front on another of dad’s toys (a Thwaites dumper), circa 1972.

It wasn’t very old when it arrived with us, but I’m lead to believe they had hard and short lives. Whilst my dad never used it for work, or indeed I don’t think ever drove it other than the short distance from the depot to our home, I spent hours and hours in the driving seat of the “Noddy Lorry” and “drove” all over the world in it in my imagination. :smiley:

Here’s another pic, probably from about 1976ish again with it in the background.

And this is a library pic I found on the web of one of the handful of survivors.

One day I got home from school and it was gone. My dad had passed it on to the local farmer to use for storage. I was totally gutted. :-[

A few years passed and I found myself “working” at aforesaid farm, charging around on a silencer-less motorcycle keeping the birds out of the fruit trees. The lorry was still there, albeit slowly dropping to pieces. I harboured notions of rescuing it, but without the funds, space or technical ability it was only a pipe-dream.

A few more years have since passed. Decades in fact. It has always been in the back of my mind, but space and funds have always been against me. That and the fact I knew it was likely to be very badly deteriorated. I have always fancied a classic commercial though, and like the idea of the “truck-rods” that enterprising sorts across the pond make up out of bits and bobs of old wagons.

Fast-forward to last summer and I heard that the farmer had died. As he was a contemporary of my own father, he must have been at the least in his late eighties (my dad would be 92 were he still alive today), and he was the sort never to throw anything whatever away. I also heard that his son was continuing to run the farm, but was having a bit of a tidy up, so decided I’d better get up there and see if there was anything salvageable before it all went to be turned into tin cans. So up I went and visited the farm to have a look at the remains…

Remains is the right word! Whilst the body has all gone, the chassis/engine/box/axles/front guards/steering etc. are all still there.

Chassis, which is the important bit, despite the nettles, thistles, brambles and other spiky/stingy ■■■■, looked salvageable. Spring shackle pivots still have grease on them, chassis rails appeared sound, axles, springs etc. look OK and the steering still works. The engine is locked solid though (no surprise there), and what is left looks a bit forlorn. The remains of the alloy sheets from the body are laying along side it, but 95% of the timber framework has long gone as has the fibreglass roof.

When I asked him what he wanted for it his reply was “if you want it, and you’ll do something with it rather than cut it up for scrap, you can have it”. When pressed, he added, “buy my mum some flowers”.

So, a new project hove to on the horizon.

I knew that the wood and alloy body of the Noddy van would likely be well beyond saving, so the fact that it had disappeared is actually a blessing as a parcel van wasn’t really going to be the most practical of vehicles to add to my fleet.

My master plan is to replace the current engine and gearbox (a 5.1 litre 6-cylinder diesel BMC unit and 4-speed) with a 5.9 litre ■■■■■■■ 6B and five-speed from a Leyland 45. I will likely have to scratch-build a cab and plan a bonneted “normal control” configuration, with a flat-bed rear body. Although they were known as vans, they are actually 9 tons gross, so the chassis is fairly substantial. I’m currently leaning towards the idea of buying a complete mid-90s Leyand-Daf 45 to break for it’s major components as, if I’m careful/lucky I can get something with the right engine (150 or 180 bhp), the right gearbox (a five-speeder), a flatbed rear body and maybe a HIAB as well for around the £2-2.5K mark, and be able to recoup £1K or so of that back selling off and scrapping all the bits I don’t need.

Part two…

Having given it a great deal of thought, I’m currently leaning toward keeping the appearance of the new cab as close to the original as possible, but just a small one without the box body behind it. I’m not massively keen on replicating the wooden framework as it is both structurally less than ideal and a potential future maintenance nightmare. I plan a steel framed affair, likely with slam doors rather than sliding ones, with three across the front seating and a sleeper bunk and storage. I need to source or make lots of stuff though, whichever way I jump.

I had a day off earlier in the year so decided to go follow up a lead on another Noddy van that I had heard was lying not too far from me. Armed with directions furnished by a complete stranger on the internet, OS maps on my phone and the dog as an excuse to be wandering around the countryside uninvited, I made my way to the spot marked “X”.

When I got there I found this:

It is complete. Well, ish. Anything glass has been broken, and it’s missing it’s radiator and a few odds and sods, but there’s a whole lot more of it left than on my one!

To be honest, the timber frame is highly likely to be past saving without a huge amount of work, and you’d likely have to completely dismantle it in order to make it sound. However, it’s given me some fairly detailed pics, even though I couldn’t get too close, and it would be a treasure trove of spares if I can negotiate it’s purchase.

I went back shortly after to the abandoned one and put a note through all the doorways nearby asking if anyone knew anything about it. That has gleaned a name, but no contact details. A land registry search shows the land to be registered to somebody else, but with the same surname, so the next step I suppose is a letter to the first, C/O the second and see where that gets me.

Part three…

Fast-forward to earlier this month. It dawned on me that very nearly a year had passed since my initial visit to the farm, so I decided to set a deadline to get the chassis moved to my house before the end of the month, come hell or high water.

Then I had a bit of bad news: a text from the farmer, to say that his labourers moved it the day before thinking they were being helpful, and that there was “some damage”. and he asked me to come and see it to decide if I still want it.

After a fretty couple of days, I managed to spend a morning at the farm, surveying the damage. I shouldn’t really be cross, as Craig is giving me the lorry, and I have had months to sort out moving it, but I am a bit gutted. I really wish he’d let me know it needed moving, or asked me to move it for him as whoever did it did so with the minimum amount of sympathy I can imagine.

The front mudguards had both fallen off; fortunately damage to them was minimal, but what remained of their mountings is toast. The sump was holed with a forklift, used to drag it out sideways, but I’d never planned on rebuilding it in any case. It just means it’s scrap, rather than something I might have been able to sell on. A lot of the surviving cab floor and all of the steps both sides are gone, as is the rearmost loaded timber (which was rotten, but there the last time I visited; all of which would have ended up in the skip, but would have been valuable patterns.

The worst bit though, was that the same forklift managed to bend the rearmost section of chassis, back from the last crossmember. I should be able to straighten it. It’s not a biggie, but it’s a whole lot of work for a moment’s carelessness.

Pictures:

I managed to remove the front wings and remains of the bumper, and brought them home, along with a few bits of the original bodyside panelling. I don’t plan reusing much, if any, of the panels, so left the majority for Craig to weigh in. I’ve kept the one bearing the unladen weight marking and the two that have “Canterbury” written across them. I can feel some “shed art” coming on with those, and the rest I’ll reuse if I can for small bits of panelling etc… To be honest, most of it wasn’t worth saving anyway.

With the wings removed, and the chassis finally out from among all the brambles, I got my first proper look at it. It is saveable, just, but really wants doing before very much longer. One of the crossmembers is a little thin and would really benefit from being replaced rather than plated, and the front chassis dumb iron near the passenger side front spring mount is pretty bad. This is the area I mean:

You can’t really see in that pic, heres one from above/inside:

It is, to be brutally honest, past any sensible saving. As I’m a ■■■■■■■ idiot not sensible, the only caveat I’ve put on taking it is that I can get it transported for less than I’d get for it if I cut my losses and weighed it in. I’d guess there’s about three tons of scrap there, which would see about £350 ish, so that’s my limit, give or take. I’ve been in touch with a local haulier that has a lorry with a big enough HIAB to load and unload it, and I’m waiting to hear back from them once they’ve seen the pictures of it and of the access at the farm and here.

The other stumbling block will be registering it. The old logbook hasn’t turned up anywhere, so I’m going to have to throw myself on the mercies of the DVLA to get it registered. I will have to be doing all of that before I lay a spanner on it; I don’t want to put a ■■■■■■■■ of time and effort into it, only to find it ends up on a “Q”!

I also think that I’ll have to make a proper effort to track down the owner of the other one nearby, as it looks like I may well need chassis cuts to make a proper job of repairing this one. It might be that it makes more real sense to use this one for spares instead if the other is better structurally, particularly if it has a logbook.

The good news is that all the wheels went round with no dramas, as did the prop. The steering works and the springs and axles are all OK as far as I can tell.

Whatever, things were on the move at last. :slight_smile:

Part four…

Had a call back from the transport company who, having seen pictures of the collection and delivery locations, and of the chassis, quoted me £325 + the dreaded VAT to move it for me. Worked out at £390.

So I booked them.

Thursday last was D-Day.

It all kicked off a little earlier than planned, so no breakfast, just a pork pie from the garage on the way, and arrival at the farm at 08:30.

To find this tidy bit of kit arrived:

And soon had the chassis strung up from a set of chains:

Up she goes!

Round a bit:

Gently does it:

And down:

Part five.

Fast forward the strapping, trundling down the A2, moving neighbour’s cars and manoeuvring in the road and down the drive:

Up she comes:

And into place:

Much kudos to Mick and Dave, who put it exactly where I wanted it, without any need to resort to winching or any fuss whatsoever.

:smiley:

Mother-in-law is less than impressed, but hey ho, what can you do?

Part six…

Up to date. ;D

A willing “helper”; Finlay, age 5, (nearly 6).

All wrapped up, safe and sound.

There’s been no joy in the hunt for the logbook, so I’ll have to go down the “age-related” route via an authorised club and a V765 form (The Historic Commercial Vehicle Society looks favourite), although I have no official documentation and no concrete proof if ID beyond the attached pictures and the original registration number. Bit of a ball-ache, but the current state of the truck at least means that all the original components that make up it’s identity in the eyes of the DVLA are all present and correct. An age-related “D” plate is better than no plate at all, if I can’t get the original reallocated. The recent changes within the DVLA mean nobody can tell me for sure how it’s going to be viewed by authority, so I think the best course of action is to do nothing with it at all until it’s been inspected and a decision has been made. I don’t want to put time and money into it if my efforts are going to be rewarded by generating difficulties with the DVLA, or if they mean it is harder to prove it is what it is.

So the next step is to get some photos printed off and some letter writing done. I’ve still shed-loads of work to do on the house, which I’ve promised Sarah will take priority, so the most the lorry is going to get in the immediate future is maybe a squirt of clear waxoyl to prevent any further decay.

I have been made aware of several others lying in scrapyards around the country (none close though) and have put some feelers out for spares or purchase of a complete donor. I can’t do anything more though until I have my hardstanding done and I’ve got an answer one way or the other from the DVLA about getting it a V5. If I can’t get mine registered, then I’ll go all-out to secure a better donor that has paperwork.

As ever, any comments, good or bad, are most welcome. If you know of one lying abandoned in a field anywhere, please let me know. Better still if you know anyone wanting to move such a thing on to an enthusiastic new owner, please pass on my details. ;D

Good story Glen, wish you well in your quest. :sunglasses:

And a final note, like I said at the top, I’ve got parallel threads running on a couple of other forums, but mainly to keep friends I’ve made there in the loop with the project. I’ve not found a forum dedicated to commercials, so spreading it about a bit seems a good idea. I’ve had some invaluable help and suggestions from a VW forum I visit, as well as a Raleigh Bomber one and a custom/modified car one, so it pays to take the time to copy/paste it around! My apologies if this all seems a little disjointed, I’ve been writing this up in bits for over a year now, and this is a “condensed” version, with all the stuff I’ve so far found out about in that time.

The main issue with Noddy vans is that they were built really cheaply, quickly and down to a weight (tiny fuel tank as they were only away from the depot for a day, didn’t carry a spare wheel, body made from deal, ply and sheet ally, no passenger seating etc. etc. ). This means their working lives were short, and their structure never meant to last more than a few years. They were also made in relatively small numbers (2500 ish total from 1958-76). My skills are more in the welding/fabrication line than carpentry and I’m planning a steel framed cab rather than a wooden one; as much for safety as anything else, although durability and ease of construction (for me at any rate) are also key considerations.

I had a very discouraging chat with the registrations officer of the Historic Commercial Vehicle Society yesterday. He was less than enthusiastic and as much as said I was wasting his time. He was adamant I’ve no chance of getting the DVLA to re-register it until it’s been restored, and wouldn’t entertain the thought of attempting to do so beforehand… :-[ I’m a little disappointed as I know that the Land-Rover series 2 club have got projects re-registered in the past. I definitely don’t want to get going on this without documentation as the potential for financial disaster is too great.

I’ve drafted a letter to the only other vaguely suitable body listed in the DVLA’s V765 scheme contact list, the British Commercial Vehicle Museum Trust, to see what they say. If they’re similarly negative then I don’t think there’s anybody else on the list that would have the necessary “expertise” to satisfy the DVLA. If that’s the case, given the chassis I have is in need of a lot of work, I may have to put head before heart and look for a donor with both identity and a better chassis, and start from there instead… :frowning:

A shame, but better to find out now than down the line I suppose.

Whatever; I shall not be shelving this. :wink:

If anyone knows of a Noddy that might be for sale, or of any lying in breakers anywhere, Please, please get in touch.

I’d also be keen to hear memories and anecdotes from anybody who drove or maintained them whilst in service.

All the best, and if you’ve got this far, well done! :grimacing:

well done matedont give up no matter wat with your determination you will get there and there will be people on hear to give advice and please keep posting with updates regards rowly ward

Hello Glen,
Welcome and good luck. There are plenty of people on this Forum who have restored old heavy vehicles or who are currently doing so. I would not get too disheartened over the engine seemingly being locked solid. It is surprising just how well preserved the internals of engines and transmissions can turn out to be when the lid is taken off. I would simply take it out, get it under cover and forget about it while you get your plan of action sorted out; you certainly have a lot of other things to be getting on with! under cover it won’t deteriorate any further and it will also give you something else to do when either the weather prevents other work, or you just get fed up temporarily with the chassis and body.

Hiya … i know of a van like yours sitting on a farm in north wales the bonnet is missing and the
rad i think the body looks ok but the roller shutter is gone i think. I’ll go in serch see you later
found for you don’t know if its for sale…its about 3 miles from Queensferry.
John

John

Hi John, thanks for taking the time to post, that’s exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for. It looks like it might have had a horse box conversion maybe… Judging by the depth the wheels are sunk, it’s not moved for a very long time.

I’ve a good mate who lives near Wrexham, so an excuse to come up and a spare pair of hands if it does turn out the owner would consider selling, or allowing me to strip it for spares if it’s too far gone to transport.

Even the two pictures you’ve posted are helpful. Anything I can get that shows me details is good!

Thanks once again, Glen.

Hiya just send of to the dvla saying you’ve bought this lorry but the owner has lost the log book you’ll
most likely get a new log book/sheet you have the number plate. don’t say what condition the van is in
if you can find the engine i would make a note and tell them that.ll bet the van is still on the date base
as if its a 1966. anything still on the road in 1972 is on that data.i,am certain BRS would use a lorry for
more than 6 years. just phone or send a letter. i got my 1954 motorbike log book back that was not
on the road since 1970 but still on the data it also had a quite nice plate ***345.
i wouldn’t bother phoning this week with the new method of taxing it’ll take hours try later next week,
i’ll bet you get your number back…good luck John.

I tried that John, all I got back was a letter telling me that there was no record of the vehicle on the database, as it must have been off the road since before computerisation. They enclosed a V765 form and the booklet of approved owners clubs, of which only two seem to be appropriate to the marque; one of which was massively unhelpful, the other still hasn’t replied to my letter.

I might just try again though, as it seems that it can be dependant on which clerk opens your letter, their mood and the phase of the moon! :unamused:

Cheers for your interest and input though, that one at Queensferry wasn’t previously on my radar. If it did have a life post BRS as a horse box or livestock van, then it might have been on the road long enough to have caught computerisation, which would mean a much easier recovered number etc. I’d be really interested if it was for sale.

All the best, Glen.

Hiya i’ve sent a PM…you can get a list of previous owners if you sent £8 (i think ) as i said i got all mine for the motorbike
i ended up with a duplicate log book with all the stamps every time it was taxed. as i said leave it a couple of weeks for this
new system to cool down. with this van at Queens ferry been more intact there may be a plating certificate inside the van
John

Hello Glen. First and foremost, welcome to the Forum and thanks for showing us oldies what it’s like to be young and follow your dream.
This sort of project makes me go all BRS Green with envy -What a cracker of a challenge. Please keep us up to date with your battle with officialdom and the restoration of (I hope) “Joy”. When you get a bit low - Google Redneck Restorations. The guy on there will cheer you up every time you get the urge to get the gas-axe out. Jim.

Cheers Jim, much appreciated. :smiley:

Good Luck with this one Glen,just don,t let your heart rule your head. :slight_smile: a lot of time and money needed here.

Here’s a decent photo of what your looking for Glen.

Noddy Van.jpg
Plus this one.
HuM1140.jpg

A couple more JYOs for you. Also a cab only version that I think carried a insulated container for meat haulage.