An original Friderici K100 under restoration

Evening all, this KW aerodyne thing has got right on top of my little grey cells. It kept buzzing round my brain as I was rolling up and down power harrowing the fertile acres today…all sorts of thoughts…

.Anorak, you asked about the set back front axle, (and Jeff has given a very pertinent explanation of the typical US tractor trailer set up). Deep in the dark recesses of my mind I seem to recall that some “European” KWs were supplied with a front axle centre line 1150mm set back from the front bumper position. To compare this with the Mack “European”, as supplied by MABO,(FM786T, 4x2, ETAB676B 11 litre, 306bhp, approx. 1150 lb ft torque), this vehicle had a front axle centre line at 1283mm from the front bumper.

I always thought she looked odd, in profile, but the front axle was rated at 5987kgs, the single drive rear at 10400kgs, with a gtw of 38000kgs,…(En Tour Age, is my recall correct)? Ive a feeling that some to this spec must have been handled by Rick Robertson, and Tony Babola at CTS Leasing in Bolton UK. Perhaps it improved the ride with short pin UK trailers, but I have no personal experience of it. Does anyone on here■■?

I wrote earlier of the Dallas KW parts operation, but as I moved around the US I found that it was not unique. The distributor for KW, in “sober” Conneticut, Milford Truck Sales, had an equally mesmerising “supermarket” type parts operation, and a surprisingly “exotic” range of stock chassis, including the W900 version of the Aerodyne living pod.

And talking of living pods, we here converted a rather “rumpy” Aerodyne import to have a walk in shower, wc, and kitchen pack, inside the Aerodyne cab…and the fun that we had trying to grt the toilet not to let go of its contents when the cab was tilted…but we did succeed…eventually…but the trials were frought with danger!!!

Happy memories

Perhaps a Bollinger will cool my ardour!

Cheerio for now.