Old haulage companies

Here are some more to add to the list of " possibly " long gone hauliers !!!
Dobsons of Edinburgh [Dark Green Atkis]
Silver Roadways [Poss. Tate & Lyle of Liverpool]
Edward Derbyshire of Liverpool
Stewart Cameron of Drymen
Motherwell Bridge of Motherwell
Bridges of Leyland [parcel carriers]
Cannings of Leyland [ran red & white AEC Mandators]
Smith & Robinson of Leeds [orange tankers mainly ERF,s & F88,s]
■■? of Sanquhar [can,t remember the name]
Russell of Bathgate [Blue & Grey Atki Borderes & Guy Big J,s]
Russell of ■■? [ Purple F88,s & Atkis]
Gibbs of Fraserburgh
Browns of Grimsby
Humber Mc.Veigh [Green Guy Big J,s]
One other com. that I can,t remenber ran from Burscough nr. Ormskirk to Crieff on trunk up one night and back the next they ran Plain Red Seddon Atki 400 day cabs.
Davidson & Adamson [ Newcastle? ran dark blue Daf 2800,s]
Naylors of Leyland
K&G Transport of Bamber Bridge [owned by Peter Valentine & bought out Kirkdale Lewis Haulage of Liverpool about 1973]
Bolton Roadways
Smiths of Eccles [Red ERF,s]
Harris of Northwich [Maroon & Cream ERF,s flats & tankers out of ICI ]
Beresfords of Stoke on Trent
Atkins of Derby [I think the first british haulier to use Tachos]

NEJ:
Here are some more to add to the list of " possibly " long gone hauliers !!!
Dobsons of Edinburgh [Dark Green Atkis]
Silver Roadways [Poss. Tate & Lyle of Liverpool]
Edward Derbyshire of Liverpool
Stewart Cameron of Drymen
Motherwell Bridge of Motherwell
Bridges of Leyland [parcel carriers]
Cannings of Leyland [ran red & white AEC Mandators]
Smith & Robinson of Leeds [orange tankers mainly ERF,s & F88,s]
■■? of Sanquhar [can,t remember the name]
Russell of Bathgate [Blue & Grey Atki Borderes & Guy Big J,s]
Russell of ■■? [ Purple F88,s & Atkis]
Gibbs of Fraserburgh
Browns of Grimsby
Humber Mc.Veigh [Green Guy Big J,s]
One other com. that I can,t remenber ran from Burscough nr. Ormskirk to Crieff on trunk up one night and back the next they ran Plain Red Seddon Atki 400 day cabs.
Davidson & Adamson [ Newcastle? ran dark blue Daf 2800,s]
Naylors of Leyland
K&G Transport of Bamber Bridge [owned by Peter Valentine & bought out Kirkdale Lewis Haulage of Liverpool about 1973]
Bolton Roadways
Smiths of Eccles [Red ERF,s]
Harris of Northwich [Maroon & Cream ERF,s flats & tankers out of ICI ]
Beresfords of Stoke on Trent
Atkins of Derby [I think the first british haulier to use Tachos]

Dobsons - Gone
Silver Roadways - still with us
Edward Derbyshire - Gone
Stewart Cameron - Gone (and took Wm. Molyneux with them)
Bridges - Gone
Canning - Gone
Smith & Robinson - TDG
Russell of Bathgate - Gone
Gibbs of Fraserburgh - Gone
Humber McVeigh - Gone
Peter Halley is the one from Crieff that trunked to & from Burscough - Gone
Naylor of Leyland - still with us - just…
K&G Transport - Gone
Bolton Roadways - Gone
Smiths of Eccles - TDG
Harris Roadways of Northwich - TDG
Beresfords of Tunstall - Gone
F B Atkins of Findern, Derby - Gone

Where in Southport are you from NEJ? I’m from Burscough but have lived in Southport for 13 years (100yds from the footy ground)

bigpeter53:

squarepeg:

marky:
I don’t know if it’s still there, but around Atherton somewhere there’s a Finney DAF 2800 parked up in front of a house. (Apparently, it’s on the high loads route according to someone who knows)

I went past it a few times and was wondering why it was there. Someone later told me it was parked outside the house of one of the Finney family - who had rejected several offers to buy it.

It was a couple of years ago (at least) since I saw it and it was rough then - does anyone know anymore?

Yes house was the family home, now one of the sons.

Their yard was at the side where the new houses are.

PS Whats a high loads route?

Finneys had a big yard at Tyldsley I did my class one with one of their mechanics,It was set back off the bend as you come up Mossley Common Road from The East Lancs Rd.

dafdave:

240 Gardner:

Chris Webb:
Thanks for info re above.Remember a Spalding Haulage driver bragging he’d done Airdrie-Spalding empty in 5&1/4 hours empty and Finneys night man,an oldish feller ,waiting for his 180 Gardner powered ERF off day man saying"I had a Scania 111 like that and got rid of it". Good answer I thought.
I don’t think W H C&C tanks had landing legs fitted until they got some newer tackle.

Even quite late (late 80s?) Finney had a couple of LV ERFs (pre A Series) with 180 Gardners on shuntng work, and I recall that they had reg nos with a round number, like 500 or 600G. They were running 2800 DAFs, I think, but shunting trailers from the Lucozade factory ar Little Hulton back to the yard with the ERFs. I have a recollection too that one of the older shunt drivers on the ERFs was one of the Finneys, although I’m open to correction on that.

WIm not sure about the old shunt driver being a member of the finney family but you are right about the regs. they all finished in 500.I also think when they closed down one of the bros.ran the continent as o/d in a renault magnum in finneys cols[could be wrong about this]

your quite right mate the old guy your on about was one of the finneys,he was driving those erfs out of finneys from the 60s through the 70s,he was around 70 years old in the late 70s n still driving the finneys erfs.

rickykirk:

dafdave:

240 Gardner:

Chris Webb:
Thanks for info re above.Remember a Spalding Haulage driver bragging he’d done Airdrie-Spalding empty in 5&1/4 hours empty and Finneys night man,an oldish feller ,waiting for his 180 Gardner powered ERF off day man saying"I had a Scania 111 like that and got rid of it". Good answer I thought.
I don’t think W H C&C tanks had landing legs fitted until they got some newer tackle.

Even quite late (late 80s?) Finney had a couple of LV ERFs (pre A Series) with 180 Gardners on shuntng work, and I recall that they had reg nos with a round number, like 500 or 600G. They were running 2800 DAFs, I think, but shunting trailers from the Lucozade factory ar Little Hulton back to the yard with the ERFs. I have a recollection too that one of the older shunt drivers on the ERFs was one of the Finneys, although I’m open to correction on that.

WIm not sure about the old shunt driver being a member of the finney family but you are right about the regs. they all finished in 500.I also think when they closed down one of the bros.ran the continent as o/d in a renault magnum in finneys cols[could be wrong about this]

your quite right mate the old guy your on about was one of the finneys,he was driving those erfs out of finneys from the 60s through the 70s,he was around 70 years old in the late 70s n still driving the finneys erfs.

my dad kevin kirk drove one of their erfs from late 60s to 1978 where he then joined h.conlon out of walkden,my dad was sadly killed in 1979 in south wales by another lorry driver who was driving very dangerously and on wrong side of the road

marky:
I don’t know if it’s still there, but around Atherton somewhere there’s a Finney DAF 2800 parked up in front of a house. (Apparently, it’s on the high loads route according to someone who knows)

hi I too remember this daf outside the house, tyldesley it was, it was actually ootside mr finneys house which (I didn’t know about this until recently) finneys were actually based from this house as their yard was intact the rear of the property. It was parked there for years, used to see it when I was a kid and we used to compete in swimming galas in the east lancs. I moved to the area nine years ago and it was still there, parked up in a protest against neighbours or the council I believe. Noticed it had a tarpaulin over her and that it was looking a bit shoddy about 2 years ago, then it went sadly.

Anyone rememeber Max Robinson Transport Manchester, [Ancoates Area] If my mems right, brown wagons Fords as far as I can recall, I used to back load from them in the 50/60s, One of their customers was Aplin & Barrat Ancoates, they were butter & cheese merchants. ? Regards Larry.

I worked for Bridges Parcels in 1960 when their depot was in Eldon St, Preston.(I think BRS parcels took them over)
Other companies that have gone bust.
Fred Davies, St Helens.
Northwest Freighters, Haydock, St Helens.
Cabmont, Erith & St Helens.

what happened to Norseman Freight from Birkenhead?

Orange curtainside and box tallboys

:slight_smile: Wheel Nut,
Norseman Freight was bought out by Hammond Transport from Horley, near Gatwick Airport, and operated out of their North West branch at Appleton, nr. Warrington for a few years. This would be the mid 80s. I think it’s the same firm that is now known as ‘Hammond Logistics’.
Norseman ran a fleet of orange Mercs, and the firm that owned them (Robert Smiths) still own the Liverpool and North Wales Mercedes Truck franchise (called Road Range.) :wink:

Deesider:
Norseman Freight was bought out by Hammond Transport from Horley, near Gatwick Airport, and operated out of their North West branch at Appleton, nr. Warrington for a few years. This would be the mid 80s. I think it’s the same firm that is now known as ‘Hammond Logistics’.
Norseman ran a fleet of orange Mercs, and the firm that owned them (Robert Smiths) still own the Liverpool and North Wales Mercedes Truck franchise (called Road Range.) :wink:

And Hammond themselves have now gone - sold out a few months ago to Bibby Distribution

hiya,
Anyone remember Sharples transport of Bennington Street Blackburn ■■,
his yard was just past the BRS depot, got a start there for a week or two
when I was made redundant the first time from the BRS next door, all his
work was via British Rail and was just local house and local industrial bits
and bobs, got took on for the seasonal rush, nice fellow and he payed OK,
I think I drove an old Bedford S type four wheeler.
thanks harry long retired.

Trevor G Phillips
Entress
Morfa Transport
Blueline
Cardiff Transport
H & L Robinson
John Bevan
D & N Morgan
Griff Fender
Sharples of Clifford

Dave the Renegade:
Trevor G Phillips
Entress
Morfa Transport
Blueline
Cardiff Transport
H & L Robinson
John Bevan
D & N Morgan
Griff Fender
Sharples of Clifford

Philip Jones Fforestfach (is there enough "f"s?)
Glyn S John,Taffs Well.
Williams Brothers,Crosshands.
Davis and Meredith,was it Brynmawr,just off the roundabout top of Blackrock?

I think most of the Welsh hauliers have been mentioned on here already.

I was reminiscing about old names from the tanker industry with a mate.

Thomas Allen
Robert Armstrong
A S Jones
James Hemphill
John Forman

All part of P & O before losing their way.

Pickfords Tank Haulage = Exel = Tankfreight

Ancliff
Bulwark
Hogg
Smith and Robinson

United Transport

Charles Lucy
Yeoward Brothers

Abbey Road Tanks

Wheel Nut:
I was reminiscing about old names from the tanker industry with a mate.

Thomas Allen
Robert Armstrong
A S Jones
James Hemphill
John Forman

All part of P & O before losing their way.

Pickfords Tank Haulage = Exel = Tankfreight

Ancliff
Bulwark
Hogg
Smith and Robinson

United Transport

Charles Lucy
Yeoward Brothers

Abbey Road Tanks

And Harold Wood?

And Harold Wood?

Tankfreight between Pickfords and Exel.

Deesider:

Norseman were bought by Gobowen Transport from Rimrose Road in Bootle in around 1990.

I used to work across the road and I remember the motors coming across from Birkenhead and changing colour to white (mainly 2 series Scania if memory serves)

marky:
[
Norseman were bought by Gobowen Transport from Rimrose Road in Bootle in around 1990.

I used to work across the road and I remember the motors coming across from Birkenhead and changing colour to white (mainly 2 series Scania if memory serves)

I remember Gobowen Transport ads in ‘Headlight’ in the 60s and 70s for return loads. Don’t think I ever used them though. Same one?

Salut, David.

Smiths of Madiston ?
Crow (tankers)