AEC Mercury

I’ve always had a high regard for the AEC Mercury both from a driver’s and operator’s viewpoint. The fixed cab GM4 series was in production from 1954 until 1965 and approximately 13,000 were produced. The Ergomatic tilt cab series TGM4 was in production from 1965 until 1977 and some 16,000 were built. In those years the 4-wheel rigid played an important role in general haulage as well as own account fleets, being used on long distance as well as local work. Arguably the Mercury was one of AEC’s finest lorries and set the benchmark for the premium class four-wheeler market. Export versions were badged as AEC Monarch.

Throughout the 60s and early 70s Scott’s of Oldham ran a large fleet of AEC Mercury tractor units and rigids.

Pictured here just, delivered direct from the AEC factory to Scott’s of Oldham, is a brand new AEC Mercury 4x2 tractor unit.
Seen here in the extensive Scott’s workshops at Pine Mill Oldham it is undergoing a pre registration vehicles inspection.
All of Scott’s vehicles were hand painted and sign written at the depot by Frank Wright who only had one arm.
Frank worked in the paint shop for over 20 years and and in the early years all the gold lettering on Scott’s vehicles was made up of real gold leaf something that would be unheard of today.
This particular tractor unit was allocated fleet No C16, the letter C defining that it had to be used solely on the United Glass Bottles contact in St Helens, and once registered it bore Reg No 770 BBU.

When did AEC start offering heaters and power steering as a option on the Mercurys , was it only after the Ergo was introduced?

Like the one I use to go in with my Dad, my favorite lorry back then.

AECKenilworthCastle-2-1.jpg

I used to fit optional Power Steering rams, pumps etc to new Ergo Mercury’s when I was an Apprentice Fitter at an AEC dealership, this would have been around 70/71. My previous and first job at a Haulage Contractors introduced me to the Mercury and Mandator both GM and TGM types, I prefered working on those AEC’s rather than other makes especially the Ergo, sound uncomplicated engineering, ideal for learning the trade on. Franky.

Frankydobo:
I used to fit optional Power Steering rams, pumps etc to new Ergo Mercury’s when I was an Apprentice Fitter at an AEC dealership, this would have been around 70/71. My previous and first job at a Haulage Contractors introduced me to the Mercury and Mandator both GM and TGM types, I prefered working on those AEC’s rather than other makes especially the Ergo, sound uncomplicated engineering, ideal for learning the trade on. Franky.

Hi Franky would this firm at Benton be Hodgesons, With the man in charge called ? Saunders, Regards Larry.

That’s right Larry, good place to work then, we used to call Arthur ‘Arty Laffa’ , when it changed to Tillotson we got a guy from Yorkshire as the Manager, he was quite a good bloke too but Arthur still run the place pretty much as before, I remember he wasn’t impressed with the V8 Mandator Demo and wanted shot of it as soon as we done the headgaskets, probably why not many firms bought the V8 in the Northeast as the demo never done the rounds, Mercury’s though were very popular with many local companies. Franky.

I enjoyed many miles with a B-reg GM Mercury, working alongside Mk5 Mandators, both loaded to 24 tons gross. The little Mercury, after a bit of fettling of it’s rotary pump, refused to be lefty by the Mk5’s 11.3 lump over a full day. Brilliant motor, the best I’d driven at that time.

ramone:
When did AEC start offering heaters and power steering as a option on the Mercurys , was it only after the Ergo was introduced?

The 1959 2GM4 Mercury (14-ton GVW version) I rode about in as a lad had a heater fitted. It didn’t need power assisted steering as it was very easy to steer if the kingpins were greased regularly. 5-speed synchromesh gearbox, it was a very easy lorry to drive. 44 mph flat out up hill and down dale. It was the first lorry I rode in that climbed Hints Brow on the A5 in top gear fully freighted with 10 tons on its back. PBN 995, new to Thomas Harwood of Bolton, then bought second hand by Ray Holden. Tommy had put extra leaves in the rear springs, he liked to load 'em heavy in those days. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Two early 1960’s classics. A Mercury and a Mk.V. Posed at Spillers Foster Mill, Cambridege.

From their small workshop in Hope St Maidstone, the local AEC Agent W. H. Gatward sold dozens and dozens of Mercuries to the local haulage companies, it almost seemed as if the Mercury was King.

google.co.uk/maps/@51.28060 … e0!6m1!1e1

gingerfold:

ramone:

The 1959 2GM4 Mercury (14-ton GVW version) I rode about in as a lad had a heater fitted. It didn’t need power assisted steering as it was very easy to steer if the kingpins were greased regularly. 5-speed synchromesh gearbox, it was a very easy lorry to drive. 44 mph flat out up hill and down dale. It was the first lorry I rode in that climbed Hints Brow on the A5 in top gear fully freighted with 10 tons on its back. PBN 995, new to Thomas Harwood of Bolton, then bought second hand by Ray Holden. Tommy had put extra leaves in the rear springs, he liked to load 'em heavy in those days. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I did a bit more gearchanging in mine at 24tons! Mind you, I didn’t object too much- I had the 6-speed constant-mesh overdrive box, giving 68mph with flames out of the exhaust. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Retired Old ■■■■:

gingerfold:

ramone:

I did a bit more gearchanging in mine at 24tons! Mind you, I didn’t object too much- I had the 6-speed constant-mesh overdrive box, giving 68mph with flames out of the exhaust. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve often wondered about that 6-speed constant-mesh AEC box, ROF; was it satisfying to use? Robert

The 6-speed constant mesh gearbox was a dream to use if the selectors and the linkage from the gear stick were set up correctly. It was a very small adjustment that was required but it made a world of difference.

gingerfold:
The 6-speed constant mesh gearbox was a dream to use if the selectors and the linkage from the gear stick were set up correctly. It was a very small adjustment that was required but it made a world of difference.

Thank you for that informative reply. As a teenage passenger I used to watch closely as drivers progressed through the gears on AEC Reliance coaches (East Kent) - I think this was a version of the same 'box, wasn’t it? Robert

Yes, the manual gearbox Reliance used the same basic gearbox, either 5-speed direct top, or 6-speed overdrive dependent on the work it was on. Dependening on the date you are thinking back to from about 1967-8 a synchromesh ZF gearbox was an option and eventually replaced the constant mesh unit to become the standard fitment. There were of course, semi-automatic gearboxes available for the Reliance.

robert1952:

gingerfold:

Thank you for that informative reply. As a teenage passenger I used to watch closely as drivers progressed through the gears on AEC Reliance coaches (East Kent) - I think this was a version of the same 'box, wasn’t it? Robert

On one wild night when I did a bit of part timing for National Express I got my hands on one of those East Kent AEC’s (It was a changeover at Leicester Forest)… :open_mouth: ye gods, what a machine, it was set up spot on, beautiful gearchange and it went like **** off a shovel

Scotts AEC Rigid.jpg Operated by the long gone Scott’s of Oldham of Sherwood Street this AEC Mercury four wheeler rigid, Reg No UBU 99, was powered by a 7.7 AEC engine and was relatively new when this photograph was taken in September 1960.

Seen here parked on Westhulme Street, next to the Werneth Ring Mill in Oldham, it is loaded with empty beer crates.

The regular driver at the time was Jimmy Duxbury.

robert1952:
I’ve often wondered about that 6-speed constant-mesh AEC box, ROF; was it satisfying to use? Robert

I’ll say it was satisfying! I got it when it was about two years old, having been driven from new by a “proper” driver who, like me, was a stickler for having things “just right”. Consequently the gearchange, fuel pump, steering and just about everything else was even better than when it left the factory. Pulling all sorts of trailers, platform, bulk tipper, skeletal, etc, it turned me into a “proper” driver as well! I was even undecided about giving it up when I was offered a brand new Big J which I eventually accepted. And don’t even think about querying the number of cylinders that one had! :wink:

gingerfold:

Quite a simple adjustment of the “■■■■ coupling”(no laughter at the back please boys) two 9/16 AF spanners and a colleague in the cab to hold the gear lever,for anyone used to AEC’s was a quick job that made all the difference!