Drivers Nicknames 50s Era Onwards

Can any of you oldies remember nicknames given to drivers, Regards Larry.

Oh yes, only most are probably still alive so I’m keeping quiet! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Well heres a start The Black Night, he only got washed once a week, Or more if it rained , Eh Regards Larry.

I remember an older driver in the 60’s who was referred to as " The Rat " as he was always telling tales to the boss on a certain firm. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Another one I worked with that didn’t care much for getting a wash, He was Snowflake, Regards Larry.

There was a tipper driver who was known as Bishop, as his Dad was a Baptist Minister.
Cheers Dave.

One bloke I worked with was called Organ Stop Eyes, He didn’t go to Kip as often as he should of, Regards Larry.

Only one springs to mind and that’s Red from hell drivers ,there’s plenty who drive like red round here still !

Aye they are all over the place, I sometimes wonder how they get away with driving like that these days, Regards Larry.

Another driver I new who was a heavey smoker but didn’t buy very many he was allways on the cadge, So he was called Tab Hunter, Regards Larry.

Chonker the Clutch Buster. Sooty,Snag, Cowboy,Circus boy, Lick 'em and Stick 'em,Blossom,

I new Kenny the Clutch, He used to ■■■■ a clutch in three weeks He never used the hand brake unless he was parked up, What a jumpy Jack as we called blokes like him in those good old days, Regards Larry.

Another one Dirty ■■■■, His name was Richard, But he would leave on a Sunday & still have the same clobber on when he got back on the following Sat, & he never had a wash the dirty sod, Regards Larry.

Lads I worked with during the 60s/70s. Fingers,Castro,Coller & Tie,and Bullwinkle,all great lads.

What about these from my general haulage day’s 75-80 :- Back-to-Front Bob (looked the same from the front or the back), Jam Butty Jimmy (at some time in his life he had won a jam butty eating contest :laughing: ), Billy Big Head (He really did have a very ginormous head), Billy Whizz (Well I’ll leave this one up to your own fertile imaginations :question: ), Saddle Tramp, (Thought he was a cowboy in every sense of the word), The Doctor, this driver seemed to always have a pill, medication or bandage for all eventualities :question:

Regards
Dave Penn;

A few people at MAT will remember Wobble Gob. Bump-a-day Boylin. Jimmy the Boat.

While “helping out” a local haulier taking potatoes ex Herefordshire farms to South Wales, we were looking for the premises of a wholesaler in Llanelli by the name of D. Williams, Potato Merchant. Spotting plod standing on the pavement (they did that in the olden days) I leaned out of the window and shouted, “Good morning, Ianto, where’s Dai the Spud?” He must have understood as he pointed me in exactly the right direction. My fellow cab-dwellers were so amused that for years I was known as Dai the Spud.

Hi, Plastic boots was a classic I worked with, also Top Cat, Mighty Mouse, Head and Shoulders, Bob the Dog, Rug Head, Rigor Mortis, The Duke, Ronnie the Rat, Dixie Dean, and probably dozens more that will come to me later.
Les.

I was called BOOTS, In my days at Fred Chappells I had a large pair of leather flying boots, Fred didn’t go much on cab heaters and other comforts, usually the heater was an old army greatcoat, so I got this ■■■■ big pair of boots to keep my feet warm, BOOTS stuck with me forever. :smiley:

When I started on BRS with a Leyland Comet I complained about the heater & the garage foreman handed me a bus drivers overcoat two sizes too big so that you could wrap the sleeves round the steering wheel to keep your hands warm. :laughing: