Who remembers (and misses!)

the Ff10 note in your papers at calais which made them “forget” to stamp your permit

the oddball who used to stand on the bridge just outside calais (les attaques?) showing his bare arse to passing truck drivers - advertising?!

queuing up the stairs in dover of a sunday night - we cheated here and did export customs at MIFT the friday before, so spent even longer in the dolphin… :wink:

the anticipation waiting to find out whether your import clearance would be handled by DFG or DCS in dover - both as bad at end of the day but everyone swore by one or the other

the happy chaps who handled the revision at vilamalla

the even happier, and extremely polite chaps who handled everything at aosta!

funny how you eventually grow to miss some of the things which drove you nuts at the time - nostalgia for you i suppose :laughing: any others you can think of?

Let me add, the fuelchecks at the borders,with germany +austria being the
worst of the lot.,or keifersfelden doing the customs oh what fun, or comeing into ITALY and haveing missed the customs clearing office by 10minutes and haveing to wait until the next morning, QUEUEING up to do
the border-custom controls at the DDR borders, what fun they where
also going shopping on the transit route and going into the transit shops
and eating on these transit routes, THE queueing in DOVER does bring a smile back yes some times it was not so nice but you all ways seemed
to meet some one in the queue, and every one was so friendly wheither
it was a british,tukish.iraian or dutch, driver,and yes the little addition in the pass for ““CAFFE”” yes i do remember those days…

brit pete:
austria being the worst of the lot

yes, how could i forget the way the austrian customs fellows used to go out of their way to help foreign drivers with negotiating their border formalities - esp. at suben :laughing: and as you say tankschein forms - almost extinct these days

jj72:
the Ff10 note in your papers at calais which made them “forget” to stamp your permit

Yes and the ones that made them forget they had stamped 2 when it got near to allocation time.

queuing up the stairs in dover of a sunday night -

Forgot that, remember it now though

the anticipation waiting to find out whether your import clearance would be handled by DFG or DCS in dover - both as bad at end of the day but everyone swore by one or the other

That too

the even happier, and extremely polite chaps who handled everything at aosta!

I used to hide in the bunk and send the girlfriend in as the driver, in her ‘customs’ sweater, very tight. Worked every time and no money changed hands. And nothing else either :twisted: Too quick for that.

funny how you eventually grow to miss some of the things which drove you nuts at the time - nostalgia for you i suppose :laughing: any others you can think of?

[[/i][/b]

Salut, David.

And while we are in Austria, the delays at the borders while hitlers stepson checked your paperwork,

then you had to do inland clearance. The customs would randomly select boxes or pallets and then stitch them up with waxed thread and an Austrian seal. What was that about?

And the sudden feeling of lonelyness as you put your carnet and passport through the windows of an Eastern bloc custom post, as the filthy curtains were drawn shut and you just knew this may get expensive :stuck_out_tongue:

jj72:

Or check your fuel.

jj72:
the oddball who used to stand on the bridge just outside calais (les attaques?) showing his bare arse to passing truck drivers - advertising?!

Thankfully I don’t remember that. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

jj72:
queuing up the stairs in dover of a sunday night

Ahhh, many a happy hour spent doing that.

jj72:

Swore by or swore at? Also bringing in a load of wine near the end of the month and knowing it would be a day or three to clear becasue there would be no money in the deferment. 6 days was my personal best with a load of wine, left the trailer in Dover on a Thursday and went back for it on the Tuesday.

Wheel Nut:
And while we are in Austria, the delays at the borders while hitlers stepson checked your paperwork,

:stuck_out_tongue:

You were lucky - I got his son :smiling_imp:

Salut, David.

I miss the camaradary (sorry bout the spelling) of 20 years ago cos it sure as hell aint there now!!! :cry: :cry: