Blackburn transport firms old & modern

thought this topic might rouse some interest.any pics or stories of firms long gone and those still in operation today. :slight_smile:

i think you might find what you are looking for on the bowker thread shirt box .harry gill and guesty44 are a mine of information on all things blackburn .

rigsby:
i think you might find what you are looking for on the bowker thread shirt box .harry gill and guesty44 are a mine of information on all things blackburn .

Thanks Rigsby
Yes Harry and myself and many others from them there days gone by
Don’t think Bowker has is own forum now but there you go.
Heres one to get you going.
And another from the old Bowker.

There you go shirtbox Harry will come on and tell the tales.
Good Luck there are hundreds from Blackburn.

hist_docks.gif

Guesty44:

rigsby:

Thanks Rigsby
Yes Harry and myself and many others from them there days gone by
Don’t think Bowker has is own forum now but there you go.
Heres one to get you going.
And another from the old Bowker.2
There you go shirtbox Harry will come on and tell the tales.
Good Luck there are hundreds from Blackburn.

Perhaps it’s time we did have a Bowker thread, then we can see some more of your gems like these two!!

Here another Bowker (off ebay) I would imagine this will be on T/Net somewhere but no harm showing it again

W H Bowker Leyland.JPG
Plus one from Killingbecks

Killingbeck Atki.JPG

Stanfield:
Here another Bowker (off ebay) I would imagine this will be on T/Net somewhere but no harm showing it again

The Comet has a Scammell coupling, and was known as ‘Dobbin’, and I took that Killingbeck photo!!

The Killingbeck picture takes me back, especially the ‘six-sheeter’ Pandoro flat. I wager it was a load of wool or waste paper.

T.B

240 Gardner:

Stanfield:

The Comet has a Scammell coupling, and was known as ‘Dobbin’, and I took that Killingbeck photo!!

HAA-Ha There was a few of them there scamell coupling trls: ended up in Preston Dock
Jacks transport was another in Blackburn. Holdens was another,They run out of star paper mill.
Killingbeck paid the best money round the area so I was led to believe.
GUESTY44

Kenyon is another one in blackburn The transport manager there was dob
Don’know if he is still there
Earl Transport not sure if they were Accrington or not.
He was a relation to Harold Newlove Best T/Manager ever worked under from many years
ago.
GUESTY44 :unamused: :unamused:

Hi 240 Someone has got your photo on Ebay for sale mate thats where I nicked it from (sorry). Apparently he owns a second hand book shop near Southampton

come on guys there was and still are dozens of firms from the Blackburn and surrounding area besides Bowker and Killingbeck. :open_mouth: :unamused: :slight_smile:

Stanfield:
Hi 240 Someone has got your photo on Ebay for sale mate thats where I nicked it from (sorry). Apparently he owns a second hand book shop near Southampton

Thanks John - he must have downloaded it and printed it then, as I have the neg and the only original print

trucker.blackpool:
The Killingbeck picture takes me back, especially the ‘six-sheeter’ Pandoro flat. I wager it was a load of wool or waste paper.

T.B

Good guess, T.B., but neither of those (wager lost…) have another guess: think Yorkshire :wink:

And did you realise that the lorry is ex-Pandoro too?

p.s. 4 sheets, I think

Guesty44:
Jacks transport was another in Blackburn. Holdens was another,They run out of star paper mill.
Killingbeck paid the best money round the area so I was led to believe.
GUESTY44

Kenyon is another one in blackburn The transport manager there was dob
Don’know if he is still there
Earl Transport not sure if they were Accrington or not.
He was a relation to Harold Newlove Best T/Manager ever worked under from many years
ago.
GUESTY44 :unamused: :unamused:

Earl Transport was in Clayton-le-Moors, I think. In the Blackburn area, there was Wood & Butler, Walsh & Dearden (Jos Walsh earlier). Mercer Road Services (wasn’t there a fire…? :wink: ), Thos Fox, Joan’s Van Transport, P & G Fogarty, Wilfred Holden, Schofield of Ossy (bought by Wilfred Holden), CSH (who moved into the Killingbeck depot), Kitchen of Darwen (having split out of Ditchfield & Kitchen), Reed Transport, Chapman Group Transport, Jack’s Motors (owned by Gilbraith Tankers), East Lancs Warehousing (previously Maudsley), and several more at various times

Well done 240 now we are getting a few names has anybody any info or pics.What about moomooland have you owt. :slight_smile: :unamused:

Kenyon’s are still going but much less interesting wagons these days. The Smith was taken the other day.

I don’t notice Gilbraith`s TS Ltd recently in the news by being taken over by Pollock/Scotrans .

shugg:
I don’t notice Gilbraith`s TS Ltd recently in the news by being taken over by Pollock/Scotrans .

Ah, but I mentioned P & G Fogarty, which was the basis for Gilbraith Transtore :wink:

240 Gardner:

shugg:

Ah, but I mentioned P & G Fogarty, which was the basis for Gilbraith Transtore :wink:

You learn something new every day , many thanks 240 Gardner .

shugg:

240 Gardner:

shugg:

You learn something new every day , many thanks 240 Gardner .

My pleasure! Fogarty’s was the family business of Carl Fogarty, the motorcycle racer, and who lived in Tockholes as I recall. It was they who first set up that rail terminal (in the late 80s, I think). It was later acquired by Gilbraith Transport (not Tankers) from Accrington and who, by then, had dwindled to a very small operation from the large business it had once been.

Ironfeild i think they was called had grey 6 wheeler erf s from accrington, bracewell are still going i think from accrington, Alan barker transport from altham, hoyle and dean accrington, i know its not Blackburn but they are/was from surrounding area.