Left-Hand Drive E-series ERFs

OK then, I take up the challenge! I hereby open, by popular request (ie ‘Anorak’), a new thread on Left-Hand Drive E-series ERFs. A lot of these resulted from ERF’s new initiative in setting up exports to Spain. But not all went to Spain, as we shall see. I know that both ■■■■■■■ and Perkins TX power were offered - perhaps someone can elaborate on this. I also know some of these had Eaton Twin-splitter 'boxes (love 'em) but I’d be interested to hear what other gearboxes were installed in the LHD version. So, here are some pics to whet the appetite. Robert :slight_smile:
4184700742_38ff8cda15.jpg
1433809350_8eb1f274d2.jpg
3343462373_071bd7da50.jpg

erf1.jpg

8159115889_5189f15e96_z.jpg

ERF-E410 TS gear lever.jpg
ERF-E410,d-506_1.jpg
ERF-E410,d-506_2.jpg

French reg E14-410 LHD.jpg
images.jpeg

Scannen0028-border.jpg

Spanish E14 LHD 410.jpg

robert1952:
OK then, I take up the challenge! I hereby open, by popular request (ie ‘Anorak’), a new thread on Left-Hand Drive E-series ERFs.

I have never been popular. :smiley: Here’s the one off the French site:

All of them seem to be the late E series, with the plastic bumper. Does this mean that ERF stopped European exports, some time during C-series production?

robert1952:

Or possibly Swiss ■■
Sorry,the image didn’t show up :cry: .I’m referring to the green tractor unit with the white stripe .

WELL HERE’S WHAT CM HAD TO SAY AT THE TIME:
ERF goes continental

• ERF is to enter the French and Spanish heavy truck markets in 1993 – despite announcing losses of £1.15m for the financial year ended March 28.
    Although the Sandbach-based truck maker finished 1991/92 in the red its losses were significantly down on last year’s 2,4.24m deficit. During 1991/92 ERF raised its turnover by more than 14% and total sales were up 5% to 2,167 vehicles.
    Chairman Peter Foden says the current recession in the UK market is still biting hard: “Industry is reluctant to invest in new equipment. It is difficult to forecast when the upturn will come.”
    But he adds: “Vehicle operat ors cannot delay their replacement programmes very much longer.” Last week Foden declined to make a profit forecast for 1992/93.
    ERF currently holds an 11.4% share of the sector above 15 tonnes although so far the UK market has decreased by a further 8%.
    However, next year ERF will enter the Continental truck market in earnest in a move described by Foden as “one of the most important steps ERF has taken for many years”.
    Following an 18-month feasability study ERF has set up two wholly owned subsidiary companies in France and Spain. These will be small administrative units with ERF dealing in the main directly with its dealer network in both countries.
    ERF sees opportunities to set up a strong network after the recent tie-up between Volvo and Renault and the takeover of Pegaso by Iveco. “This leaves a gap in the market with many established truck dealers looking for opportunities,” Foden says.
    ERF will be unveiling its left hand-drive range – based on the 14-litre ■■■■■■■ and 12litre Perkins Tx engines – at the Paris Show in October, although Foden has modest ambitions for first-year sales on the Continent:" Even 2% [of the market] would more than justify our commitment to the project."
    ERF managing director John Bryant says traditional buying patterns in favour of the home producer are declining in France and Spain. After holding more than 50% of French truck sales Renault now has 39%, while Pegaso’s grip on the Spanish market is just 27%.

Sir +:

robert1952:

Or possibly Swiss ■■
Sorry,the image didn’t show up :cry: .I’m referring to the green tractor unit with the white stripe .

Yes, Swiss is much more likely as the Swiss bought a number of ERFs (and Fodens) partly because they performed well in the mountains. Robert

There was a yellow 4 by 2 E14 380 left ■■■■■■ doing continental work which could have been based in the Leeds area ,it was a very late model with Ec axles and large/ high fuel tanks ,it could of had red stripes on the cab

robert1952:
WELL HERE’S WHAT CM HAD TO SAY AT THE TIME:
ERF goes continental

• ERF is to enter the French and Spanish heavy truck markets in 1993 – despite announcing losses of £1.15m for the financial year ended March 28…

The EC came out in 1993, so those export E’s must have been few in numbers.

They could of been the ones with the 3 peice bumper.

They carried the E series on for European sales for around two years after the EC was launched, think this was down to european type approval (i may be wrong?), so most ECs made in left hand drive form had the later EC cab with the improved trim and higher door handles ect. Think those euro E series had benifitted from alot of the chassis improvements ect of the and was only really the cab was pure E series??

Chris.

This pic of a LHD E-series ERF was posted on the E-series thread this week. I wonder if that’s a Twin-splitter or a Fuller 13: they sometimes shared the same gear knob. Robert :slight_smile:

ERF-E-2.jpg

Now then, you will remember earlier references to the ‘Norsman’ high-roof special LHD E-series ERF, as per these two example pictures:

8159115889_5189f15e96_z.jpg

Well, I have just rediscovered an old LDD describing a journey it took to Spain. I was horrified to note that the ■■■■■■■ 410 was connected to the ghastly SAMT auto-box. This was an automated version of the fabulous Eaton Twin-splitter 'box. A lot of those high-powered lorries with SAMT (especially ERFs and Ivecos) were quietly converted to manual Twin-splitters by their sensible owners, and we can only pray that common-sense prevailed in this instance too. Here is the article, along with some good pictures by Danny Coughlan! Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:
This pic of a LHD E-series ERF was posted on the E-series thread this week. I wonder if that’s a Twin-splitter or a Fuller 13: they sometimes shared the same gear knob. Robert :slight_smile:

I can now answer my own question: it’s a Twin-splitter. Thanks to ERF-Continental I have now seen the brochure! Here’s another picture of the LHD E-series interior, taken from another angle. Robert :smiley:

Hiya…Yes I know its an EC but I think I can get away this one…seen on Saturday in H.J. Van Bentums yard in Holland,Cheers Bubbs :wink:

And its one of the Detroit Engine ones as well Bubbs. EC127 ■■

Wing and a prayer:
And its one of the Detroit Engine ones as well Bubbs. EC127 ■■

As far as I can work out, all those LHD ECs that went to Europe (mostly Spain, and a handful to Holland, Luxembourg and France) were Detroits or big ■■■■■■■ 525s. They had either ZF or Eaton Synchromesh 'boxes (never heard of one with a Fuller, sadly). Robert :cry: