Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Fergie47:

pv83:
I found a great introduction to the Turbostar! Click on the link;

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCfuKm_UVpw&feature=share

Whips

Working at an Iveco agents in 1990 we supplied one to a local O. D. Graham Richardson, red, with chrome stacks and bumper, the dogs.
After preparation we took it out with a fully freighted tr-axle test trailer, bearing in mind its 30 years ago and 480 was a lot of horses then. There was steep hill near the yard and that thing was the only motor that I’d driven that you could change up through the gears going UP the hill, a scary amount of power… Years later I saw it parked up near Southampton water, semi-derelict and looking so sad, certainly one to have saved for prosperity. I’ve got a book on the history of Fiat / Iveco, the development story of the V8 is in it, interesting reading.

Engine wise they were probably on top of their game, they never really got on with the “big boys” though for some reason. Was that because of the building quality of the cab? A gentleman from Wolverhampton said recently “it’s made of cheese”…

Sounds like an interesting read Senior, I’ll have a look on this internet thingie, see if I can find it.