North Africa work

Baldrick1953:
Some vey interesting stuff on " great continental railway journeys " . Beeb 2 on Friday… With " Mincing " Michael Portillo.

Emotive scenes and interesting history of North Africa.

I never went there in a truck but spent three weeks hiking the High Atlas range. Part of it with a donkey :open_mouth: in the mid 2000’s, followed by a week in Marrakech and a coastal place I can’t remember…

Loved the food … Hard to get a drink in some places I recall.

What’s your foodie memories lads?

All the best.
Balders.

Food was usually wonderful - as food is, wherever you go round the Med basin - and over the years your stomach got good at it! I remember the place that we used to call the ‘Kenitra truck stop’ on the old national road out of Kenitra to Fez (it’s all motorways now). You ordered your meat from the butcher then went to the grocer next door to order your veg and then went to the counter to order the ensemble, usually in the shape of a tagine. All this was washed down with copious quantities of mint tea (and whatever amounts of Spanish vino collapse you managed to smuggle in!). Men with sticks guarded your lorry in the night (along with the wild dogs if you deigned to feed them). That old road ran down via Sidi Kacem, if my memory doesn’t fail me. I doubt those days’ll come back, alas! Robert