Charles Poulter/ Davis Bro's

Anyone there from these days??

[URL=http://s872.photobucket.com/user/cambuslang/media/image
Hi Hopey
Early 60s Busy Bee,was out of Wapping, cant be many of us left.

don,t know why photo did not appear must have done something wrong

Ben.

s872.photobucket.com/user/cambus … 1.jpg.html

Great selection there Ben I see Minishant is featured quite a bit are you based around there. Eddie.

Hello Eddie,

I did live in Minishant till July last Year then i moved and now live in Stonehouse,a never meant to put aw they Photos on only meant to put the one of the Busy Bee on, its been that long since a posted one a must be doing something wrong

Ben.

hopey1945:
Anyone there from these days??

Hi, I was on for poulters from mid 60s til they were wound up, can’t remember what year that was, perhaps someone can jog my memory.
My name is Bob Heath, the names I recall are Jim Cahill yard foreman, Alfie green who went to Turkey and bought back all the fitters, Alan Kendall, Alfie Morris, jimmy summers, john Bergen, too many to remember, these were all good blokes to work with, we took delivery of them new long nosed MBs and were the envy of a lot of London firms, but we ran day and night, not a lot of time off then.
When I first started I was driving for Thomas potter priestly, which was owned by solly, doing London deliveries, rolls of cloth to the Jewish tailors in the east end. Happy days!

Aye all this modern technology flumexes us older yins eh. Eddie.

I, recall, I was employed by “Hubbie”, at Wapping High Street, then called: Larrow Transport!!! Red vehicles, I had a AEC, then a long nosed Merc. I recall “Murray” the ol;d boy on his Scammel Wrecker a big old truck. He smoked always large King Edward cigars. The cafe’ oppersite was brilliant: You could’nt leave your vehicle of fear someone would nick it, or ropes & sheets. Hubbies brother was “Frankie” another nutter, I saw him pick up a spare wheel and threw it at another driver that he was arguing with: I phoned Hubbie from Mabchester for a reload on one trip, he gave me details, I then asked where I could get fuel, why dont we have cards!!! He replied: " Agency card boy, push the …cking thing home" WHen I got back to yard he gave me a tenght of hose pipe■■?

Onto his brother, in the Highway: Charles Poulter’s, this is “Sonny” long nose Merc all work was Fords, Dagenham to Hailwood return. Never stopped!! So many funny memories and experiences but hard good old days. Both yards had Turks as fitters. I do and was then based in Birmingham so I was able to get home on most trips.

Hi hopey1945, I remember the Charlie Poulter long nose Merc,s , I used to load them in H bldg. at Fords Dagenham with knock down wood cases.
ray

Hi hopey, I remember larrow trans, do you recall one of the drivers, Ginger Godfrey, he was a true character, lived just down the road from wapping at canning town, we all ran together for Ford motors when I was on poulters, it was solly and his son Ronnie who ran poulters, and they had the same mentality regarding fuel as hubby and Harry, we had a depot in Warrington run by a guy called angel Gordon, and if we went in there to draw fuel we had to jump through hoops to get it, i would never have parked anywhere near another Davis truck, I needed my tank of derv.

:grimacing:

Flyer747.
Hi, you mentioned the KD cases, I recall we used to take them to Halewood where they were transferred onto a train to go to the docks for export, we collected them from Swansea, Southampton and the other plants all for Halewood, Ford was for us a very good earner, but those days are gone now.

Hey SUPERCUBE, when I mentioned kd cases these were to knockdown flat packs , so to speak. if I remember right used to load them 5 or 6 high on the trailers. One funny story was one day i drove f/lift out back to load the Poulters lorry and one driver was asleep over the wheel and the other was asleep on the sheets, after numerous blasts on f/lift horn, nothing so I had to give trailer a little bump from the rear .

ray

Managed to wake them up then, it was most likely a well needed short nap. :smiley:

guess so as they were back the following morning loading up for Halewood again.

ray

I can well remember Poulter’s bonneted Mercs, and one bloke who had his nick-name on the windscreen ( before it became fashionable )
was known as “The Witchita Lineman”, obviously after the Glen Campbell song from 1969. I seemed to see him everywhere, he certainly got about, as I did. Long days were part of the job back then. We knew nowt else on “A licence” work. Cheers Haddy Gt.Yarmouth.

Hi haddy, that driver you mention was Alan Kendall, no longer with us, before he worked on poulters he was with Davis bros, same family, different firm, when he was at home at night you would see his lorry parked on Mile end rd near the blind begger pub, the downside of living there was you had to be out early in the morning because of the street market that set up at the crack of dawn, you would never get away with parking there now.

i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 … 0001-1.jpg

i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 … 0001-1.jpg

i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 … mage_1.jpg