Photos of Trucks from Tasmania and Australia

I finally found out how to post photos.

So in no particular order here are a couple of photos
All up I have somewhere about 1500

Hauling plantation pine

Photo just north of Hobart near Bridgewater bridge, Mount Wellington in the back ground.

[[/url

](http://s743.photobucket.com/user/belstonefox/media/Australian%20trucks/DSCF1927_zpsfb1de925.jpg.html)

Some nice pics Jelliot ,they don’t look to have done much work though, but well worth looking at.

If your trucks untidy you start to get a lot of unwanted attention from the undesirables so it pays to keep on top of things.

Both the log trucks were double shifted and the B Double fridge was based in Burnie and I saw it in Hobart most days. It would be getting paid by the k so you can bet it was doing the best part of 800k’s a day.

The D series was ran by a farmer that lived down the Tasman Peninsular and I haven’t seen it since the bush fires earlier on this year so I don’t think it survived.

We don’t put salt on the road here so you still get loads of trucks from the 60’s and 70’s still working, very little rust. My wife still uses her 69 Cooper S Mini as an every day driver.

Jeff…

One of the things that I should point out here is that in Australia it’s not a common thing to take photos of trucks and anyone walking round trucks with a camera is looked on very suspiciously, even if you explain what you are doing I often get unwarranted comments…

I was doing a bit of Interstate work and took some photos, some of these ones were taken at the twin Caltex ( Texaco ) between Sydney and Newcastle.

I was in the K103 with the fridge, lucky me… It was 3 years old at the time and had 760,000 on it. It was double shifted for it’s first 18 months.

The Western Star with the tar machine is pulling a widening trailer, some of them can widen up to 4 meters. Most of the time the whole boggie oscillates as well, so that if it gets on uneven ground the wheels still contact the ground.

This was my ride at the time, usually ran a B Double, but I’ve just done a town delivery so I had to split as a second trailer wasn’t allowed access.
More often than not when you get back to collect your second trailer some muppet has parked in front of it.

Jeff…

Great photos Jeff keep em coming :wink:

What’s the speed limit for trucks on single carriageways ie those long roads between cities in Aussie ?

Evening all, Jeff, really enjoyable pictures, …thank you!

Cheerio for now.

nice pics,more please.jack preston. :slight_smile: :wink:

Jelliot:
One of the things that I should point out here is that in Australia it’s not a common thing to take photos of trucks and anyone walking round trucks with a camera is looked on very suspiciously, even if you explain what you are doing I often get unwarranted comments…
Jeff…

I know what you mean Jeff :slight_smile: , these guys were building a servo and one of them came running over to see what I was up to but after I explained that I was a retired truckie he became really helpful and he told me that the livery for the tipper was taken from one of the James Bond films but I can’t remember which one he said it was.

Good photos there Steve, there are a few of those Cats getting about down here as well. They’re trying to push them at the logging guys.

I don’t know what the score is in the north island ( mainland ) but some blokes get overly hostile towards cameras. I can understand it down here when I was taking photos of log trucks as there has been a long feud with the tree huggers. But once they saw it was me on the other end of the camera I used to get "can you send me a copy of that "

Jeff…

Iveco with a set froward front axle, probably running a series 60 Detriot

A bit farther north now. looks like somewhere around Coffs Harbor. Home of Russel Crow…

What would a collection of Australian trucks be with out a shot of a Kalari truck■■?

[

Jeff…](http://s743.photobucket.com/user/belstonefox/media/Australian%20trucks/trucksandgravestones-25_zps87e1e889.jpg.html)

I think I have this sussed now, I’m on a roll…

26 ton of steel from BHP in Newcastle has to be in Brisbane overnight, the rate is crap but they paid on time every time…

Basic Australian trucking 101

Dog trailer 2 axle draw bar.
Super Dog (like the one in the photo ) 3 axle draw bar
Quad Dog 4 axle draw bar
Wobble dog 4 axle draw bar log jinker
Pig trailer trailer behind a rigid on a center axle or axles.

A trailer the front trailer of a B Double.
B trailer the second trailer on a B double.
Lead trailer the front trailer of a road train

Jeff…

Ramon123:

Seconded.

Ramon123:
What’s the speed limit for trucks on single carriageways ie those long roads between cities in Aussie ?

Depends on which state you’re in and which road and (sometimes) what you’re driving. But generally (in NSW) the limit is 100km/h (even if the general limit is 110) except sections where there is a posted lower limit for trucks - in many cases these are steep downhill sections; a well-known one in NSW is the descent down Mt. Ousley into Wollongong which although a 3-lane dual carriageway limits trucks to 40km/h (25mph) for a good 7km. For those who don’t know it Wollongong is still (just) a steel town and also has a large port, so there are always coal trucks (truck and dog), B-doubles and semis heading down the hill along with umpteen semis and large rigids on distribution runs, so the run down Mt Ousley can get kinda busy.

Jelliot:
I think I have this sussed now, I’m on a roll…

30 ton of steel from BHP in Newcastle has to be in Brisbane overnight, the rate is crap but they paid on time every time…

(For those on the other side of the world, Newcastle to Brisvegas is what you might call “a fair hike”. By google maps it’s about 800km (500 miles), or London to Manchester and back and then back to Brum.)

Back in Tasmania for a few shots north side of Hobart.

OK drool over this then. Jim O’Brian has owned and worked it since new, I took this photo back in 02 and I met it coming out the local quarry fully loaded yesterday. Like I can do any day.

And there’s this lurking at the back of the yard as well… He canalized this one to keep the other 2 going.

Old SAR probably 70’s model.

Old N 12 still going even today.

Typical Australian second lifing… Get on old tractor unit, take the 5th wheel of and bung a 10 yarder tipper on the back, this truck will do another 15 to 20 years doing local muck-away round the metropolitan area

Quad dog powder tanker.

Old Ford Louisville, The doors used to crack round the hinges and would often fall of with out notice.

In the office of a Western Star. Just took delivery, it’s still got the dealers stickers on the window… Fresh !!!
No tacos we still run on log books.

I hope this one’s dirty enough for you Mr Ellener.
Another load of plantation pine…

Isuzu with a single axle pig trailer

One of Aprins’ Western Star quad dog jinkers… AKA wobble dog…

Jeff…

And just for anybody who has never heard it before.

youtube.com/watch?v=gAH2eQtoE2U

ParkRoyal2100:

Ramon123:

Seconded.

Ramon123:

Depends on which state you’re in and which road and (sometimes) what you’re driving. But generally (in NSW) the limit is 100km/h (even if the general limit is 110) except sections where there is a posted lower limit for trucks - in many cases these are steep downhill sections; a well-known one in NSW is the descent down Mt. Ousley into Wollongong which although a 3-lane dual carriageway limits trucks to 40km/h (25mph) for a good 7km. For those who don’t know it Wollongong is still (just) a steel town and also has a large port, so there are always coal trucks (truck and dog), B-doubles and semis heading down the hill along with umpteen semis and large rigids on distribution runs, so the run down Mt Ousley can get kinda busy.

Thanks Park Royal.Interesting stuff.

Most descents have speed restrictions. Mt Victoria on the west side of Sydney towards Bathurst has it on both direction, and there are a few over the Moonby ranges up in the New England area. I think there is even a restriction on the descent from Mt White on the Sydney Newcastle motorway, I know there is a very large speed camera up there. Tasmania doesn’t seem to bother to much and we have some fearful drops, like Mt Arrowsmith on the west coast.

None of the new trucks I have driven in Tasmania have working speed limiters, but we do have a sticker on the back of the trailers saying 100k max. At least it looks like we’re trying…

Jeff…

Thanks for the hand there Park Royal, I sometimes forget there’s not many people been down here, and some may not realize the distance involved.
The first time I was here I drove all day and didn’t even get half way across 1 page of the map.
I did a Christmas shuffle, Adelaida to Alice Springs, and only saw 4 other trucks and a hand full of cars the whole trip. That’s 1600k’s each way.
Even today the only 2 major cities that are connected all the way with duel carriage way are Sydney and Newcastle. Every thing else has single carriage way for a large part. The way the government is at the moment I can’t see it ever changing either.

Jeff…

Jim O’Brians Scania out on the road, with a full load of sand from the Boral quarry at Brighton…

T142 from Launceston (Tasmania not Cornwall )

Second life 142 now with 10 yard tipper.

Market day at Robers Sales Yards

G 88 have a look at the overhang on the drag, I haven’t seen this one going about for a while, but there is a fairly good F 86 just over the river from me.

Jeff…

Jelliot:
Thanks for the hand there Park Royal, I sometimes forget there’s not many people been down here, and some may not realize the distance involved.
The first time I was here I drove all day and didn’t even get half way across 1 page of the map.
I did a Christmas shuffle, Adelaida to Alice Springs, and only saw 4 other trucks and a hand full of cars the whole trip. That’s 1600k’s each way.
Even today the only 2 major cities that are connected all the way with duel carriage way are Sydney and Newcastle. Every thing else has single carriage way for a large part. The way the government is at the moment I can’t see it ever changing either.

Jeff…

No worries Jeff. It took me a while to get my head round the distances when I first got here too. And the roads (such as they were). When still on my working holiday visa I got a bit of work with a removals mob in Sydney. On my first interstate job (Sydney to Brisbane’s western scrubs) I doubled up with one of their regulars, a Scotsman by the name of Ronnie. It took over 6 hours to get to Kempsey and that was the easy bit. From there on I took the wheel to Ballina, 5+ hours through the night on the Pacific Hwy, a nasty, dangerous, narrow goat track (this was many years ago, before they sorted much of the Pacific Hwy out) with semis and what have you closing on you at full tilt with barely inches to play with. I thought I knew a thing or two about busy narrow roads (like the A75 from Gretna to Stranraer in the middle of the night, about an hour after the ferry from N Ireland had landed) but this was something else. By the time we got to Ballina I was all in and we still had another 3+ hours to go. Way back then I also tried hitching from Perth (WA) to Melbourne. After a day of no luck loitering in Perth’s hot, dusty eastern fringes I opted to go back into town and buy a cheap coach ticket. The coach trip took 44 hours… :open_mouth: But it was worth the eons it seemed to take, if only for the stop at Eucla. It was just getting light as we pulled in to the servo, and the memory of standing on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere on the main (and only) east-west highway with no traffic at all, listening to a dawn chorus the like of which I’d never heard before, the unfamiliar smells of the Australian outback wafting around, early morning mist and that pre-dawn light… sorry, rambling again.

Steve