Scammell

After the recent ergo thread and now the Guy one just wondered if people had any thoughts on the products from this part of the British Leyland stable.
Not so much the heavy stuff but the normal size trucks.
I spent a fair bit of my childhood in the passenger seat of various routemans so have some good memorys.

never drove one :frowning: but was allowed to sit in one of Sid Harrison’s Highwayman artic’s outside their yard a few years ago :sunglasses:

When did they finish using them i know they were still on the road well in to the 90s

I have driven a few Scammells most on heavy haulage but also on tankers which were Routeman. Handyman, Trunker and Crusaders and with starting out driving them I always liked them as I found them very reliable and up to the job at the time. The highwayman was not the most comfortable but it was indestructible and British engineering at its finest and the gate change was something you quickly got used too and in my opinion it made you a better driver as you did read the road and traffic conditions at lot more so you were always in the correct gear and you attempted to keep the wheels turning instead of coming to a stop. the first Highwayman I drove had vacuum brakes ( three pumps and then a prayer ) :laughing: which made you use the gear box on descents. The next Highwayman had air assisted brakes which were only slightly better and the next one had full air brakes which were a lot better.
The Handyman/ Trunker and Routeman were nice wagon’s as they had the 6 speed thornycroft gearbox and a lot more comfortable as it had a heater and was slightly quieter but did tend to develop rattles as the years went bye but still reliable wagons.
I then had Crusaders for a couple of years which were very similar to the Samson which I had driven, these were as good as anything on the road at the time and also fairly comfortable. The engine cover was low and the same level as the lockers which the seats were mounted on so I removed the passenger seat and made a box to fit over the passenger seat and engine cover to the same height as the drivers seat and two pieces of foam and a good bed was in place bigger than a lot of sleeper cabs of the time and with the low engine cover you probably had more room than some sleeper cabs. The 220 rolls was mated to a 10 speed fuller and was pretty thirsty but the 280 rolls mated to a 9 speed fuller ( 4 over 4 plus crawler ) was not so bad on fuel and they would pass most other wagons on hills and from a standing start.
Overall I really enjoyed driving the Scammells as the next wagon I got was one of the last Volvo F88 290s which was some kind of test vehicle for the F10/12s as it used to have go into Crossroads every few months from Friday lunch to Monday lunchtime and that would leave 141s in the distance, the thing was when I got the Volvo I thought I had gone deaf :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cheers Johnnie :wink:

kr79:
When did they finish using them i know they were still on the road well in to the 90s

there is one Highwayman taxed and on the road :smiley: HWJ 940 C

carryfast-yeti:

kr79:

Scammell Highwayman by fryske, on Flickr

fryske:

carryfast-yeti:

kr79:

Scammell Highwayman by fryske, on Flickr

If I had :
A…The room
B…The money
C…The time
D…The Energy
I would like that to restore and take to shows.

No restoring necessary as far as I could see

Scammell Highwayman HWJ940C interior by fryske, on Flickr

fryske:

Where is it ?

Now THAT is a mans motor. Fine machine. :slight_smile:

3 wheeler:

fryske:

Where is it ?

loads of pics on flikr…S Harrison & Sons-Sheffield.i think fryske from this board is known to the Harrison’s :slight_smile:

…and with a tachograph,priceless!!

David :laughing: :laughing:

5thwheel:

All part of the vehicles history, it couldn’t have operated in it’s later days without one !

Trev_H:

5thwheel:

All part of the vehicles history, it couldn’t have operated in it’s later days without one !

And a bloke walking in fron’t with a Red Flag :unamused: .Cheers Dennis

Bewick:

Trev_H:

5thwheel:

By eck Dennis, I didn’t realise you were that old. :laughing: :laughing:

Trev_H:

Bewick:

Trev_H:

5thwheel:

By eck Dennis, I didn’t realise you were that old. :laughing: :laughing:

Aye Trev,I may have a few miles on the clock (some quicker than others :wink: ) but i’m not that old that I had to operate Scammell Highwaymen units eh! Cheers Dennis. :open_mouth:

Don’t forget that Scammell was also an important trailer manufacturer. This shiny new Handyman artic had its flour tank trailer constructed on Scammell trailer chassis and running gear.

SC1.jpg

SC2.jpg

SC3.jpg
Three pictures taken at the Scammell factory Watford

The finished article

Bewick:

Trev_H:

5thwheel:

don’t know about that Dennis…used to catch up with these on my way back from Dewsbury on night trunk in the '80’s as they were heading south…clocked them at not far off 60 mph!

I used to see them going down the M1 fully freighted and the last thing they needed was a red flag. Eddie.