Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Saw this and it is a problem our drivers encounter quite often even if they are considerate and have parked well away from non frigo trucks, Buzzer.

Funny how an image reminds you of an event!

I was once stuck at Turaif. From H4 in Jordan you went across many miles of sand, trying to avoid the soft spots. Then you cleared customs in Saudi at Turaif. Turaif was two worlds. Alongside the border was an American compound. Next to where you drove, but separated by a mesh fence was America. I have no doubt that those families had little contact with the local population.

After the 40 km of hot sandy journey, your average British trucker would pull into the customs area - and wait - in my case, a load for Al Khobar. Can’t remember what it was, but high value, so local customs wouldn’t advance the duties.

Maybe 3 days later I cleared and headed down the Tapline to Al Khobar.

While I waited in that compound - no A/C and Saudi heat, were two Swedish lads. At 9.00 pm they would make a performance of turning their hi tec rigs away from the sun next to our British lo tech trucks, A/C units roaring , so that the sun, up and attacking by 6.00 am wouldn’t bother them!

Not a popular move!

John