Northwest Trucks

Stanfield:

Hi John
I expect this Robert Walker lorry was clearing bomb sites and reclaiming material in Manchester. My dad born Cavan Ireland 1898 was a lorry driver until he died 1960. In the war he would do a day’s work driving and drove some evenings with my eldest brother Johnston (prentice electrician at Stretford) for the HOMEGAURD joined Royal Marines 1941 aged 18. In the daytime tipper Lorries were loaded with chimney soot from factories around Manchester and ready for German bombers specially for moonlit knights known German targets example Trafford Park industry Irlam Locks, Pomona and Salford Docks. When the bombers were en route Manchester the tippers would have the homegaurd shovelling soot onto the Manchester Ship Canal. Bridgewater Canal so the lack of moonlight would make it harder for bombers to find their bearings. The object of the exercise was to keep the Germans in circuit for longer so the RAF had a better chance of hitting them. The other reason Germans wanted photographic evidence of areas for mapping and evidence of Strikes. Delay finding targets meant the RAF had more chance hitting them especially on the return journey home.
Going back to the photo, noticed address of Robert Walker was Wythenshawe noticed also phone numbers SAL 5468 and SAL 7660. I’m often wrong but I think they were Salford phone numbers, as I recall Sale near Stretford numbers would show Sale then digits.
Is this the same Robert Walker of Woodley and moved from Wythenshawe to Woodley?
Regards Kev Morrow