Fern Schnel Gut

robert1952:

dieseldave:

southlondoner:
Anyone remember Fern Schnel Gut stickers on the back of German motors with a red diagonal line through them in the 60s/70s what did it mean ?

Hi southlondoner,

On a German truck, the coloured stripe referred to the type of ‘O’ licence / permit that was on the vehicle.
IIRC,
A red stripe = international
A blue stripe = national
I think there were also a pink stripe and/or a yellow stripe

The German word Fernverkehr = long distance in English
The German word Nahverkehr = locals (50Km radius)

===================================================

southlondoner:
… also why do Italian motors have a white diagonal stripe on them ?

The Red/White stripes on an Italian truck were to do with the type of Italian ‘O’ licence and had the following meaning:

The Italian words conto proprio = Own Account in English and was indicated by a red stripe, usually on the bumper

The Italian words = conto terzi = Hire and Reward in English and was indicated by a white stripe, usually on the bumper

===================================================

southlondoner:
and why did old lorries have CAUTION AIR BRAKES on them ? :

I remember those signs, but I can’t answer the question. :frowning:

As I remember, they were to caution following car drivers that the new-fangled air-brakes were not only a good deal more effective than vacuum brakes, but also more efficient at pulling up a lorry than most of the knackered car brakes were at pulling up cars (bear in mind that this was at around the time of the introduction of the ‘10-year test’ for cars, which was the first version of the MOT. Robert

A motor I used to drive went a step further – it said on the back CAUTION AIR BRAKES DODGE
Bernard