French speed limit

what is the speed limit in france for trucks

90 kph

Depends what type of road you’re on, but as a general rule it’s as the stickers on the back indicate: 60, 80, 90

60 on secondary routes

80 on main roads where you have ‘priorité’ (indicated by the yellow diamond sign). Often 80 for trucks on two or three lane ring roads i.e Bordeaux rocade, Toulouse périphérique, etc

90 on autoroutes, unless ADR.

Plus 50kph within town/village limits (indicated by the red/white name boards) unless otherwise indicated - can be reduced to 30 for trucks in certain instances

That’s just a basic resumé, the older and/or wiser will obviously elaborate on these in greater detail.

~ Craig

Craig 111:
Depends what type of road you’re on, but as a general rule it’s as the stickers on the back indicate: 60, 80, 90

60 on secondary routes

80 on main roads where you have ‘priorité’ (indicated by the yellow diamond sign). Often 80 for trucks on two or three lane ring roads i.e Bordeaux rocade, Toulouse périphérique, etc

90 on autoroutes, unless ADR.

Plus 50kph within town/village limits (indicated by the red/white name boards) unless otherwise indicated - can be reduced to 30 for trucks in certain instances

~ Craig

One other thing to look out for, where you see a speed limit of 110 it means that trucks are limited to 80, as I found out once to my cost.

whatever you can get away with. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

neil46:
whatever you can get away with. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

That is not bad advice, unless you are on ADR or in a village, they tend to turn a blind eye on the Route Nationals

Wheel Nut:
That is not bad advice, unless you are on ADR or in a village, they tend to turn a blind eye on the Route Nationals

Correct.

The golden rule for France is to always show an uninterrupted ONE HOUR BREAK on your card, as opposed to a 45, which, although a pan European standard, does not satisfy the French.

Once you have satisfied this condition, you are free to barrel along on the limiter and no one will bat an eyelid :slight_smile:

Just come back with the caravan and its 130 kph on the motorway as long as your not over 3,500 kg, I feel safe with the van on the back but don’t really fancy doing 81 mph.

Hiya i go to france for 6 or 7 weeks every year in my motorhome. do i get mad…i,am bowling along at 60 mph
on a single carridge way. whooooosh…whooooosh the french go past like i,am stood still.not as i really mind,
when i was driving i got nicked for 48mph on a single track middle of nowhere christmas eve
John

Equitran:
One other thing to look out for, where you see a speed limit of 110 it means that trucks are limited to 80, as I found out once to my cost.

I’m afraid you were conned. The limit for trucks is still 90 when it drops to 110 for smaller vehicles.

Also,even though it is LEGAL,they do not like to see a solid 4.30 hour constant drive with no frequent stops.

The speed limit has dropped back to 80kmh for many roads, they enforce different limits when it rains too

Wheel Nut:
The speed limit has dropped back to 80kmh for many roads, they enforce different limits when it rains too

Just doing what the local in front is doing seems to work the best as more likely than not they will have had the heads up from the local radio as to where the speed traps are

On my recent trips through France I found that the 80kph limit was widely respected by the vast majority of cars.Don’t tell anybody but my speed camera alert device pinged numerous warnings but I never saw a camera.

Another thing I noticed during my recent trip north was how good their roads are.From Hendaye to Le Havre i used A10,N10 to poitiers then D roads via le Mans,Belleme and Bernay.From Portsmouth to Yorkshire it seemed half the roads were coned off and the rest would have turned a pint of milk to cheese.Not impressive.What do the French pay as their equivalent of VED?

Nothing. You pay a fee when you register a car and that’s all.