Ferry mode

Hi can somebody tell me the rules in black and white regarding ferry mode and rest needed cheers !!!

There was a long thread about ferries in the law section not so long ago and whetever it was actually a mode or not. It got a bit long and silly but the info you’ll need is in there somewhere.

I can tell you that you can’t use it on the Dover-Calais/ Dunkerque ferries.

Journeys involving ferry or train transport
If your vehicle is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest requirements are more flexible.

A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice by other activities not exceeding one hour in total. This allows you to drive the vehicle onto a ferry and off at the end of a sea crossing. If your rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours. You must have a bunk or couchette available during the rest period.

Thanks chaps for quick replies

Here you go,found what you think you may need courtesy of the missing Coffee…

by Coffeeholic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:00 am

Right I’m finished driving for the shift so I can answer now.

Arrive in the port, book on and get in the lane to wait for boarding.

Switch tacho mode to rest and set end country. Leave card in.

First part of daily rest.

When it us time to board go into the menu and scroll to the ferry/train option. Press OK. This is the digital equivalent of the pen we used to use to write on the chart to explain why we had interrupted our rest. It’s just a digital pen to mark the data and not some magical mode.

Board ferry, mode will change to driving.

On board change more switch to rest.

Second part of rest.

Two options now on completion of the crossing.

1. If you have not had 11 hours rest in total, go back into the menu and press OK for the ferry/train option. Still just a digital pen, no magic mode in play here.

Disembark, park up and switch mode to rest.

Third and final part of rest.

When 11 hours rest completed change mode to other work. Set begin country and crack on.

Or

1. If you have completed 11 hours rest change mode to other work, set begin country, disembark and crack on.

All the normal rest rules still apply, rest must be within the 24-hour period, and you must have at least 11 hours if rest. This means to allow for the rest plus the time for the interruptions you cannot do more than about 12 - 12.5 hours duty before getting to the port.

The two interruptions must total no more than 1 hour.

Also note you must have access to a bunk or couchette for all parts of the rest so you cannot use this on the shuttle or Dover/Calais crossings. And no, those long chairs on Norfolk Line or the Spirit of Britain are neither bunks nor couchettes.

Linda, 07/06/1959 - 25/05/2011 It’s not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It’s what you leave behind you when you go.

My Spare Time - Photography

There is no advantage to using a broker, book your LGV training direct with a trainer.

CoffeeholicMODERATOR Posts: 24217Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:47 pmLocation: Valley of the Shadow of Death, do not resuscitate.

If this isn’t enough just put feery or ship into the search.
Regards.

Hi,
Sorry for my English,
I have this question:
In this case of the shuttle Dover/Calais crossing, I understand that the rest period cannot be interrupted. If the driver is in this rest period he must wait finish of the rest and go to the next shuttle.
What is the correct answer?

dmradu:
Hi,
Sorry for my English,
I have this question:
In this case of the shuttle Dover/Calais crossing, I understand that the rest period cannot be interrupted. If the driver is in this rest period he must wait finish of the rest and go to the next shuttle.

If the driver is in this rest period he must wait finish of the rest and go to the next shuttle.

Is the correct answer.

thanks

Another question:
If the vehicle is drive by two drivers and they is at daily rest period, then, in case of board on a ferry, the daily rest period interrupt is not less than 11 hours and not least 9 hours.

dmradu:
Another question:
If the vehicle is drive by two drivers and they is at daily rest period, then, in case of board on a ferry, the daily rest period interrupt is not less than 11 hours and not least 9 hours.

11 hours only even though 9 is a regular daily rest for MM - the rules state 11 hours not regular and that is why

thanks; you are right.

dmradu:
thanks; you are right.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

ROG:

dmradu:
Another question:

11 hours only even though 9 is a regular daily rest for MM - the rules state 11 hours not regular and that is why

The regulations state a “regular daily rest period”, so I’d say the answer is nine hours if the vehicle is multi-manned.

Sorry, but I think Rog’s answer is good.
Here’s why:
In ‘Regulation (EC) No 561/2006…’ we have:

1)definition:
daily rest period’ means the daily period during which a driver may freely dispose of his time and covers a ‘regular daily rest period’ and a ‘reduced daily rest period’:
– ‘regular daily rest period’ means any period of rest of at least 11 hours. Alternatively, this regular daily rest period may be taken in two periods, the first of which must be an uninterrupted period of at least 3 hours and the second an uninterrupted period of at least nine hours,

Article 8

5. By way of derogation from paragraph 2, within 30 hours of the end of a daily or weekly rest period, a driver engaged in multi-manning must have taken a new daily rest period of at least nine hours.

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train, and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be interrupted not more than twice by other activities not exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

4)My opinion:
regular daily rest period is not equal daily rest period of at least nine hours (for multi-manning).

5)My conclusion:

I’d say the answer is eleven hours if the vehicle is multi-manned.

dmradu:
Sorry, but I think Rog’s answer is good.
Here’s why:
In ‘Regulation (EC) No 561/2006…’ we have:

1)definition:
daily rest period’ means the daily period during which a driver may freely dispose of his time and covers a ‘regular daily rest period’ and a ‘reduced daily rest period’:
– ‘regular daily rest period’ means any period of rest of at least 11 hours. Alternatively, this regular daily rest period may be taken in two periods, the first of which must be an uninterrupted period of at least 3 hours and the second an uninterrupted period of at least nine hours,

Article 8

5. By way of derogation from paragraph 2, within 30 hours of the end of a daily or weekly rest period, a driver engaged in multi-manning must have taken a new daily rest period of at least nine hours.

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train, and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be interrupted not more than twice by other activities not exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

4)My opinion:
regular daily rest period is not equal daily rest period of at least nine hours (for multi-manning).

5)My conclusion:

I’d say the answer is eleven hours if the vehicle is multi-manned.

Your English seems to have improved very quickly, are we to assume the other posts where you apologise for your English was pretence :unamused:

Anyway as ROG himself has pointed out nine hours is a regular daily rest period when multi-manning.

1. My conclusion:
    You’re wrong about interrupting the rest period and you’ve only been pretending to have such poor English :unamused:

Now given what you’ve said and as your English seems to have improved over-night let me ask you a question:
If you have a split daily rest period of three hours rest during the shift then nine hours after the shift can you interrupt the daily rest period to board or disembark a ferry or train ?

edit: On reflection I’m not sure if my answer to the question was correct, in hindsight I agree that although when multi-manning nine hours is the only rest required and it’s not counted as a reduced daily rest period I’m not sure that it would count as a regular daily rest period as far as article 4 is concerned.

I still think you’re wasting peoples time and pretending not to speak decent English though :unamused:

Sorry, but my apologise for my English not was pretence!
I’ve learned English by myself and, maybe I’ve grammatical mistakes.

About your question:
‘If you have a split daily rest period of three hours rest during the shift then nine hours after the shift can you interrupt the daily rest period to board or disembark a ferry or train ?’

the answer is on ‘Guidance Note 6.’

I have a few questions about ‘Reg. 561/2006…’ and that I posted.

Sorry again!

dmradu:
Sorry, but my apologise for my English not was pretence!
I’ve learned English by myself and, maybe I’ve grammatical mistakes.

About your question:
‘If you have a split daily rest period of three hours rest during the shift then nine hours after the shift can you interrupt the daily rest period to board or disembark a ferry or train ?’

the answer is on ‘Guidance Note 6.’

I have a few questions about ‘Reg. 561/2006…’ and that I posted.

Sorry again!

That’s correct, in fact it’s the same guidance note that seems to stipulate “a regular daily rest period of at least 11 hours” for ferry movements, of course it is only a guidance note but nevertheless would probably be taken notice of in court.

We had this discussion about interrupting a daily rest period when multi-manning some time ago and I actually then argued then that it had to be eleven hours rest.

Ferry rest when multi-manning

Perhaps I should read my own posts more often :blush: :laughing:

ShropsBri:
Here you go,found what you think you may need courtesy of the missing Coffee…

by Coffeeholic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:00 am

Right I’m finished driving for the shift so I can answer now.

Arrive in the port, book on and get in the lane to wait for boarding.

Switch tacho mode to rest and set end country. Leave card in.

First part of daily rest.

When it us time to board go into the menu and scroll to the ferry/train option. Press OK. This is the digital equivalent of the pen we used to use to write on the chart to explain why we had interrupted our rest. It’s just a digital pen to mark the data and not some magical mode.

Board ferry, mode will change to driving.

On board change more switch to rest.

Second part of rest.

Two options now on completion of the crossing.

1. If you have not had 11 hours rest in total, go back into the menu and press OK for the ferry/train option. Still just a digital pen, no magic mode in play here.

Disembark, park up and switch mode to rest.

Third and final part of rest.

When 11 hours rest completed change mode to other work. Set begin country and crack on.

Or

1. If you have completed 11 hours rest change mode to other work, set begin country, disembark and crack on.

All the normal rest rules still apply, rest must be within the 24-hour period, and you must have at least 11 hours if rest. This means to allow for the rest plus the time for the interruptions you cannot do more than about 12 - 12.5 hours duty before getting to the port.

The two interruptions must total no more than 1 hour.

Also note you must have access to a bunk or couchette for all parts of the rest so you cannot use this on the shuttle or Dover/Calais crossings. And no, those long chairs on Norfolk Line or the Spirit of Britain are neither bunks nor couchettes.

Linda, 07/06/1959 - 25/05/2011 It’s not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It’s what you leave behind you when you go.

My Spare Time - Photography

There is no advantage to using a broker, book your LGV training direct with a trainer.

CoffeeholicMODERATOR Posts: 24217Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:47 pmLocation: Valley of the Shadow of Death, do not resuscitate.

If this isn’t enough just put feery or ship into the search.
Regards.

‘When 11 hours rest completed change mode to other work. Set begin country and crack on.’
Why is it necessary to change mode from rest to other work? It is not sufficient to enter begin country and then go?

dmradu:
‘When 11 hours rest completed change mode to other work. Set begin country and crack on.’
Why is it necessary to change mode from rest to other work? It is not sufficient to enter begin country and then go?

You’ll want to do your daily walk around check, which is other work, before you ‘go’.

Okay, I understand, so it is, but some drivers go immediately after the rest period.
In this case, other work should last 10-20 minutes.