gissa job

Hi everyone i’m on the look out for a new job in the new year,i’m hard workin,honest and am just lookin for a decent wage for days work,anybody know of anything going?? :wink:

This is probably the most common question asked on here, and its not an easy one to answer. Continental work is quieter than I have ever known it. Simple truth is that we are not a major manufacturer any more- 70% of trucks passing through Dover are foreign-registered, and according to P and Os own figures, 70% of British trucks leaving Dover ship out empty.

A couple of firms down my way (East Kent) sometimes advertise for drivers- Mike Beer is one, a company called “European” (Owned by Michael White, of Whitetrux fame) is another. There are also a few hauliers who run out of the Husk yard at Lydden on the A2 who still do continental work.

You may have seen companies advertising in trucking magazines looking for owner-drivers and small hauliers. Rosewood offer £1800 for a round trip Barcelona or Madrid, from the North of England. We reckon to earn a minimum of £2000 running around the UK for a 5-day week, without peages to pay.

That`s why no-one does it any more.

Good luck though. Try those two names I gave you if you want- but I wouldn`t personally work for either of them.

If I hear of anything else, I`ll let you know. Where are you based?

Vince

Shropshire area,but i dont mind travelling :wink:

you could try fransen transport at kidderminster.
3 weeks away, fridge work, some eastern bloc, daf xf’s.

I would agree with Johnny, Fransens still do a lot of ultra-long-distance stuff, and always have good tackle. I have heard they pay very well too.

Incidentally, as far as I know, they are the only British firm still doing a regular run to Russia, delivering provisions to the UK embassies.

Vince

they don’t do russia anymore, the rates fell so henk gave it up.
you have got to admire henk, if it don’t pay then he ain’t interested, henk looks at the profits and expects no losses.
they pay well enough, it isn’t brilliant but is definately above average for the type of work.
while others run around cutting rates to get the work, henk offers quality service at a proper rate for the job, if they aren’t happy to pay that then they can use another haulier and take their chances.
it isn’t often you will see his trucks standing in the yard in the middle of the week.

I think Fransens are a pretty good outfit to work for now,but…
I had the chance of a job there in the late 80’s after visiting Henk in Kidderminster,but I turned them down.
At the time they were running those top-sleeper 2800 DAF’s and you had to do 2-3 weeks away and then meet another driver somewhere in the UK and he would take the truck over while you made your own way home with all your gear!
When you’d had a few days at home you then had to make your own way to wherever,and take a truck over and start again.
You did’nt even get to keep the same truck.
I couldn’t really see myself lugging bedding and god knows what all over the UK.

Keith