Police who take backhanders from truckers

One evening, I was crossing Ramsgate- Dunkirk on the Sally Star.

I was sat at a table with half-a-dozen Brits and the same amount of Dutch drivers.

We were talking about the bribes and backhanders you have to pay abroad. I explained that in Britain, the Police would not demand a cash backhander from a truck driver.

All six Dutch drivers spontaneously burst into laughter. When the laughter had died down, the driver I was talking to said

“Hey. Do you think so?”

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

I’ve never heard of any cases of this but it wouldn’t surprise me. I certainly dont think it is common and I would think that the vast majority of our boys in blue are straight. You will always get a bad apple in the cart though.

if this was the case then surely they must have tried it on with a british driver in a flagged out truck :question:

dave:
if this was the case then surely they must have tried it on with a british driver in a flagged out truck :question:

I am sure even if they were driving a foreign regestered truck our bobbys would notice they were brits…
When I worked for Westermann all the German drivers said they left 20 pounds in their passport just in case they got stopped in UK, so it must happen sometimes.
I find Portugal the only place in W Europe where bribes still go on, but I try to “keep it clean” so don’t have any experience myself!!!

before i was lifted by the bubbles
i was about half a hour on the road after stopping for the night
when i was pulled by a italian traffic cop
he checked my tachos from the pervious 3 days
and spotted i had been over the speed limit of 80 clicks
he had me on a count of 3 times
he said in broken english that i would have to pay a fine of 2000 euro with a ticket
or 100 euro without you choose
yes you have got it right the 100 went into his back pocket
after getting back to greece i soke to a cpl of other brits they had the same problems