Restrictions in Europe over the New Year period

We are off to Turkey in our motorhome on the 29th December using North Sea Ferries to Europort.

I’m looking for the info on the trucking restrictions over the holiday period. It makes life a lot easier knowing when the trucks are off the road.
We are getting the ferry to Greece from Brindisi and we are going via Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Basle, St Gothard Tunnel and Milan.

In the past I’ve had lots of very useful info from the forum and I usually chat to the truckers on the road it’s surprising what I’ve learnt over the years.

We have just returned from a two month trip to Portugal and the British truckers were conspicuous by their absents.
Where is everybody these days?

Thanks

Don

Don Madge:
We have just returned from a two month trip to Portugal and the British truckers were conspicuous by their absents.
Where is everybody these days?

It’s the same story all over Europe, much of the work has now gone into the back of trucks from countries who can afford to charge the customers less than normal European rates. If you noticed scores of red and yellow DAF artics (no names, no packdrill) en route to Portugal then that’s where a lot of the work has gone, and it’s not just just British companies that are affected.

As for the holiday exclusions it’s normally bank holidays and the standard weekend exclusion for non perishables (2200 Sat - 2200 Sun here in France). For your intended departure date you’ll only benefit from quiet roads on New Year’s day, I think. If anyone has any extra info they’ll no doubt post it here at the weekend (most of 'em are still on the road at the moment)

Hope that’s of some help?

Craig

Sorry to change the thread but Craig, I still have your numbers but we are shipping out of Portsmouth these days so thats why I haven’t texted you at all.

No problem Bear, thanks for the thought.
The story was actually in Commercial Motor last week, together with pics of Coffeeholic, KW and Johnny.

Take it easy,

Craig

In the countries you are transiting, and in the period you are going, there are restrictions for trucks in Luxembourg, France, Switzerland and Greece only on the 1st of January and in Italy on both the 1st and 6th of January.