Looking for truck info

Hello everyone

I’m researching trucking for a story I’m writing, and wanted to ask this forum a few questions…

What are the most respected makes of trucks - historically & contemporary? Any idea what makes of trucks are famous around the world? Someone told me Peterbilt is an American Icon - are there are any iconic UK or European brands, or worldwide brands?

Have any of you done any international trips? Any stories? Do you know of any famous routes around the world - maybe, for example, through the deserts of Africa or the snow plains of Siberia? Are there any famous (or should it be infamous!) routes - ie longest, most remote, most dangerous?

I’d love to hear any of your thoughts, recommendations and stories.

Thanks for reading this
Emma

I’ve hauled a rig through sleet and rain
I’ve hauled a rig over rough terrain …

Just in case people are wondering - I’m a development researcher & I’m developing a programme story idea about trucking round the world (so no deals to make it yet…but you never know!). So I wouldn’t quote any info, recommendations or stories that you tell me (I’m not a journalist!) - I’m just trying to get some great ideas about trucks and routes. I’m thinking the Australian Road Trains or routes across Siberia where (I’ve been told) drivers light fires under the engines to stop them freezing - is that an urban myth?! (You can tell I’m a total truck novice!)

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of any UK based clubs that I could also talk to?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Cheers
Emma

PS - Thanks Pete - I can see a theme tune developing there!!

Emma,

I hesitated to reply at first. I have over forty years experience in many places, including one trip to India, but particularly France and UK and also drove road trains in Northern Australia.

In retirement I am a writer myself and indeed have over 6,000 words so far on the road trains alone so you will understand that I am reluctant to give you carte blanche access to my stuff!

However, always ready to help a fellow trucker or writer I am happy to answer any questions you may have if you send me an e-mail davidmarker@wanadoo.fr or a pm.

Salut, David

Emma; It IS a song. Listen to a track called “Looking at the world through a windshield” on an album called “Hot Licks, Cold Steel, and Trucker’s Favourites” by COmmander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen. Verse two, methinks.

What does a ‘development researcher" actually do? And what is a ’
programme story idea’.

If you have any access to influential TV producers then perhaps you could do a story on the innocent British drivers locked up by the evil and corrupt French. See the other threads for more information.

Why go to Siberia? I once lit a fire under a trailer in Dover docks.

PeteLeTroquaire:
If you have any access to influential TV producers then perhaps you could do a story on the innocent British drivers locked up by the evil and corrupt French. See the other threads for more information.

Good point and food for thought though I would prefer, as a committed Francophile, that you add the words ‘police and customs’ after ‘French’ :slight_smile:

PeteLeTroquaire:
Why go to Siberia? I once lit a fire under a trailer in Dover docks.

Used to be quite a regular thing, now you remind me, for frozen brakes. Also the young 'uns won’t remember the days before (efficient) heater/demisters how we used to pass flaming diesel soaked rags across the windscreen to de-ice on wintry mornings! Never cracked a one in case you’re asking :slight_smile:

Salut, David.

LOLOL, Pete … i would love to see that

and David, you lucky mutt!!! I spent some time in Oz and I used to look at those massive rigs in awe! I would have loved the chance to have driven one… couldn’t believe my eyes seeing road trains going thro Melbourne. Imagine trying to take one thro London or even just round the 25? LOLOL

TheBear:
and David, you lucky mutt!!! I spent some time in Oz and I used to look at those massive rigs in awe! I would have loved the chance to have driven one… couldn’t believe my eyes seeing road trains going thro Melbourne. Imagine trying to take one thro London or even just round the 25? LOLOL

Hi Bear,

Didn’t realise they had them in Victoria, thought it was just the north and west but come to think of it it isn’t so hard to believe on city main streets. After the initial semi the other trailers are drawbars (not caravans) and so the cut in is not as great as you might think. Also we had one 6-wheel rigid with 3 trailers, all drawbars, so again no big problem.

By the way did you get your Irish start and if so, how’s it going?

Thanks for your help on the Spanish story. Have heard nothing but think it probably hasn’t been accepted. Will wait a bit longer and hawk it round elsewhere.

Salut, David

Funny how something like freezing up makes you think of all the times you were frozen. The first time I knew of the problem was when I was hitch-hiking back from India in the winter of 76. Got a lift from a Swedish driver in an F89 at the Turkish / Iranian border crossing on Mt Ararat after the bus I was on disappeared back to Teheran leaving us miserable backpackers stranded penniless.
I was in seventh heaven in the Volvo (PIE, remember them?) after 5 weeks of fighting with chickens and bedbugs and Afghani buses. We drove a bit, had a meal, next morning the pipes were frozen solid. Amazing how Scandinavian drivers know exactly what to do; out with the turbo aerosol, the diesel-soaked rags, smashing the trailer boards…My job was to stay in the cab and keep the horrible kids who appeared out of nowhere from stealing everything they could get their grimy little hands on. Took the two Swedish drivers about half an hour to sort out the frozen pipes, they then decided rather than freeze up every night, they’d drive non-stop to Londra camping in Istanbul. From Anatolia. Empty, in winter, over Bolu, hyped up with pills and coffee, Abba on the 8-track turned up full. I was hooked! Decided there and then to go back to England and get my HGV. I’m still not sure whether it was a sensible thing to do.

Hi Pete

A development researcher is someone who comes up with an idea, or gets given an idea - and they have to develop the idea by researching the subject. A programme story idea is just a really a roundabout way of saying an idea for a programme!

Thanks for the stories so far. I’m now very aware that lighting fires is not an urban myth!

And yes - I do think the subject of British drivers locked up in foreign jails is one that should be told. I’m not sure any of the producers here are ‘influential’ but it’s definitely something I will be looking into as a possible programme idea. The analogy with the postman not arrested for carrying a parcel bomb is very strong.

Emma, If you can get hold of a guy called ALLAN " POP" WARNER formely from SOUF LONDON, he will tell you all you need to know about routes thru every country that accepts trucks including canada & the USA all europe Africa Middle East Russia Khazak & others.

He lives/lived in Kent Nr Coast, his last employer was Ralph Davies Intl of Cheltenham 01242236266, Allan is a GENUINE Legend to those that have had the pleasure of knowing him, trust me the stories he has to tell (that are ALL true) are worth listening to… :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

hi emma
dont get us on the subject of which is the best make of wagon on the road, as there is a wind up going on on trucknet usa which cliff warby started and dummies are being spat and toys are coming out of prams!!!
but as you asked, for me it has to be a swede volvo or scania but the volvo just takes the top spot.
i have driven most makes on agy work from 7.5t - 44t artics from brand new to some real old dogs.
for me man is about the worst, the driving position is horible the seats are uncomfortable and on the smaller models cramped.
if you want to get a better idea speak with craig111
who is a trucking journo and a bit of a fountain of knowlage, and if you want to know what life is really like try and get a few days up the road with one of us, the uk boys would be the ones to ask.
best of luck
chris