Working for Euro companies after Brexit

Is it still possible anybody know any companies hiring Brits or is it alot more complicated with visa etc ,

truck11:
Is it still possible anybody know any companies hiring Brits or is it alot more complicated with visa etc ,

Can of worms!
Are you meaning going to reside and work in an EU country? Or maybe be s UK bared employee? ( a cross border worker)

Outside of Eire, where there are different rules, I think each EU country has different rules. Driving licences, DCPC are not automatically recognised anymore.

Why would an EU employer jump through extra hoops to employ a foreigner I wonder?

Franglais:

truck11:

Can of worms!
Are you meaning going to reside and work in an EU country? Or maybe be s UK bared employee? ( a cross border worker)

Outside of Eire, where there are different rules, I think each EU country has different rules. Driving licences, DCPC are not automatically recognised anymore.

Why would an EU employer jump through extra hoops to employ a foreigner I wonder?

Ring Girteka and they’ll tell you why seems to work well enough for them and their fellow hauliers from that part of the world.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

truck11:

Can of worms!

Ring Girteka and they’ll tell you why seems to work well enough for them and their fellow hauliers from that part of the world.

Girteka? I don’t know how many of their drivers are non EU?
But I suspect we agree that employers will go out of their to employ foreigners for one main reason.
If there was a “rhetorical question” emoji I could have used that.

To be honest the biggest obstacle to you getting a job with a European firm is that the opportunities are not there anymore, the Dutch and Belgian companies that used to employ UK drivers in any number have now replaced them all with EE drivers.
I would look at Irish companies maybe Dixon or Virginia transport who have depots in the UK and then use that as a way to get your foot in the door to doing European work, or look at Hannon based in N.I. but with a depot in Ireland they cover most of Western Europe.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

truck11:

Can of worms!

But I suspect we agree that employers will go out of their to employ foreigners for one main reason.

What? you mean there are EU companies exploiting drivers I thought that the exploitation of workers was the sole reserve of the UK. :smiley: :smiley:
But there are plenty of non EU citizens driving EU lorries I would have thought that if you have the correct cards and paperwork there should be no reason why they wouldn’t take a driver on with the onus being on the driver to have everything in place beforehand

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

truck11:

Can of worms!

What? you mean there are EU companies exploiting drivers I thought that the exploitation of workers was the sole reserve of the UK. :smiley: :smiley:
But there are plenty of non EU citizens driving EU lorries I would have thought that if you have the correct cards and paperwork there should be no reason why they wouldn’t take a driver on with the onus being on the driver to have everything in place beforehand

And that is the question the OP is asking isn’t it? It is up to a prospective employee to find out what is needed.
Previously as a passport holding citizen of an EU member state, one’s own licence and DCPC card, were all that was needed. Now it is different, involving visas to live, and to work, possibly different licences and cards.
Professional qualifications are no longer automatically recognised.
connexionfrance.com/French- … le-for-now

Driving licences are not easily swopped over.

Heglemann are hiring ----- if the o/p is prepared to compete for a job with a resident from Moldova, Ukraine or anywhere cheap/desperate to work.

Brexit has shot your bolt —

OwenMoney:
Heglemann are hiring ----- if the o/p is prepared to compete for a job with a resident from Moldova, Ukraine or anywhere cheap/desperate to work.

And if we’re being honest pre Brexit you were also competing with those people.

Mazzer2:

OwenMoney:

True indeed .

And now it’s even harder to get a foot in the door.

OwenMoney:

Mazzer2:

OwenMoney:

True indeed .

And why are we competing with them?
Because the EU wanted cheap labour.
I’m not talking about you and me. Big business wanted cheap labour, and big business has the attention of politicians.
Big business like Willi Betz, Norbert Dentresangle, Pfizer, Nestle, the list is endless.

For the OP, where are you based?
There are still British companies doing European work and using Brit’ drivers. Nowhere near as many as there was 20 years ago, but there are quite a few.
We sent 5 trucks to Germany and Switzerland this week, there will be 4 going next week. We are a small company with 6 artics. 1 is permanently UK, 1 is wherever it is needed (me), and 4 are permanently on European.

Simon:

OwenMoney:

Mazzer2:

OwenMoney:

True indeed .

And why are we competing with them?
Because the EU wanted cheap labour.
I’m not talking about you and me. Big business wanted cheap labour, and big business has the attention of politicians.
Big business like Willi Betz, Norbert Dentresangle, Pfizer, Nestle, the list is endless.

For the OP, where are you based?
There are still British companies doing European work and using Brit’ drivers. Nowhere near as many as there was 20 years ago, but there are quite a few.
We sent 5 trucks to Germany and Switzerland this week, there will be 4 going next week. We are a small company with 6 artics. 1 is permanently UK, 1 is wherever it is needed (me), and 4 are permanently on European.

I’m from Scotland mate not driving artics the now though .

truck11:
I’m from Scotland mate not driving artics the now though.

So am I. Where about in Scotland?
And how do you mean “not driving artics the now”?
In a job on rigids and just not driving artics the now? Or not yet got the E bit on your licence, so can’t drive artics the now?
If it’s the latter, you’ll really struggle to get a job on European. Not impossible, there are companies on Euro work who’ll give you a chance.

There are plenty of people with considerable Euro experience, waiting for the right opportunity to get back into Euro work. A lot of UK to Euro companies have folded over the last 10 - 15 years, due to being undercut considerably by the then recent EE additions to the EU. Rates didn’t increase for years and in many cases, especially the bigger freight forwarding companies, the rates were cut to almost making a loss on a weeks work, for a UK haulier.
Experience counts on Euro work. Obviously you’re driving on the wrong side of the road, not a great hardship, but it takes a wee while to get used to it. Blind side reversing onto many bays, because the yard is set up for LHD wagons, obviously. Knowing the paperwork and some of the more unusual rules and conventions in different countries.
You might even be driving a LHD wagon, which takes considerably more time to get used to. Driving down a motorway or even a single carriageway isn’t a problem after an hour or so. But getting through a narrow peage, manoeuvring in a tight space, knowing exactly where your front right corner is going to go and the front right corner of your trailer too. Reversing onto a bay, sitting on the wrong side of the cab. These things take a couple of months to get used to and getting your skill back. Remembering what country you’re in, so which side of the road you’re supposed to be driving on. Easy enough 90+% of the time. Then you wake up one morning, quick coffee/breakfast and hit the road, driving out through a one-way road system with nothing to remind you which side you should be on and you turn onto the wrong side. That American woman in the UK not long ago, demonstrated what could go wrong. Usually you realise before anything like that happens, but sometimes you’re thinking, “what’s that daft [zb] doing?” “Oh [zb], it’s me who’s the daft [zb]!” :astonished:

Simon:

truck11:
I’m from Scotland mate not driving artics the now though.

So am I. Where about in Scotland?
And how do you mean “not driving artics the now”?
In a job on rigids and just not driving artics the now? Or not yet got the E bit on your licence, so can’t drive artics the now?
If it’s the latter, you’ll really struggle to get a job on European. Not impossible, there are companies on Euro work who’ll give you a chance.

There are plenty of people with considerable Euro experience, waiting for the right opportunity to get back into Euro work. A lot of UK to Euro companies have folded over the last 10 - 15 years, due to being undercut considerably by the then recent EE additions to the EU. Rates didn’t increase for years and in many cases, especially the bigger freight forwarding companies, the rates were cut to almost making a loss on a weeks work, for a UK haulier.
Experience counts on Euro work. Obviously you’re driving on the wrong side of the road, not a great hardship, but it takes a wee while to get used to it. Blind side reversing onto many bays, because the yard is set up for LHD wagons, obviously. Knowing the paperwork and some of the more unusual rules and conventions in different countries.
You might even be driving a LHD wagon, which takes considerably more time to get used to. Driving down a motorway or even a single carriageway isn’t a problem after an hour or so. But getting through a narrow peage, manoeuvring in a tight space, knowing exactly where your front right corner is going to go and the front right corner of your trailer too. Reversing onto a bay, sitting on the wrong side of the cab. These things take a couple of months to get used to and getting your skill back. Remembering what country you’re in, so which side of the road you’re supposed to be driving on. Easy enough 90+% of the time. Then you wake up one morning, quick coffee/breakfast and hit the road, driving out through a one-way road system with nothing to remind you which side you should be on and you turn onto the wrong side. That American woman in the UK not long ago, demonstrated what could go wrong. Usually you realise before anything like that happens, but sometimes you’re thinking, “what’s that daft [zb] doing?” “Oh [zb], it’s me who’s the daft [zb]!” :astonished:

Can the wrong side of the road also be the right side of the road?

Franglais:

Two thirds or probably even more.

osark:
Can the wrong side of the road also be the right side of the road?

Absolutely :laughing: :laughing:

I found that driving a LHD in the UK was quite a problem. Roundabouts and T-junctions on major roads are set up so you are already half turned when you’re at or near the Give Way or Stop lines. It’s to make pulling away quicker and easier when turning left. Except that, in a LHD wagon, you can’t see anything coming from the right. Even twisting it further left to try and get a better view in your mirrors doesn’t help that much. Stopping a bit further back was no good either, the road signs block your view. Stopping even further back, you still can’t see well enough and it takes too long to get a fully freighted wagon going, so something else is coming :unamused:
Strangely I don’t often find the same problem when driving a RHD in Europe. There are a few junctions with the reversed problem, but not many.