Italy in a day cab

Heading for Italy in a day cab as soon as dover clears but before the 31st , its been a long time since i have travelled through europe in a HGV
So first question is as a driver what documents do i need apart from passport ,driving licence, digi card, cpc card, have the letter of attestation requirements now no longer needed or am i as well to bring one with me , i dont work direct for any company so would have to do a attestation myself or get a mates company to do one for me as a employee of his if i did need one.

As in a day cab does anyone know if hotels are opened or closed in the different countries i pass through or will i have difficulty get a room for the night
Although more expensive in tolls etc which the company are ok about i would travel down through france to cannes and then cross the border into italy , i have done that route before , but the company are insisting on secure parking but i couldnt find any along that way that would have a hotel next or near to it ,
If anyone knows any services with both hotel and hgv parking thats fairly safe maybe with cctv but preferably barrier or security person as well on site

I can find a truckstop hallun in france off the E17 a22 not far from lille and a total 2 autohof muhldorf in germany on the a94 , which are the only two dedicated secure parks that have a hotel near them.
If i did go that route to enable me to stop at both places, i presume i would be going through belgium luxembourg germany , is their one little box i can buy at the services to get me through the tolls in all three or is everything seperate for each country and if so can you just pay at the tollbooth or is it in germany where i have to stop at the services and enter my route through the country into a machine and pay the toll their at the machine

I def prefer to stick with the france route as more simplified with the tolls if at all possible ,
any help or suggestions appreciated

Down to Lyon and threw the mountain would be the route in my very limited experience. Then you just have to pay french toll booths with either credit card or dkv. Belgium to have to buy a box at the border (You can return it when finished with), Luxembourg is a 8 euro a day vignette bought online, Germany is as you said, you tell the toll machine where you are and where you want to go and it gives you the route you must take, you can add destinations on the way to get your preferred route if needed.

Depending on the tolls in Italy I found one in Milan which I had to pay with cash 170 euros maybe? As they didn’t take VISA or DKV.

International drivers permit for £5 in Post Office.

Can’t help with hotels and parking as I have a sleeper cab and make it up as I go along depending on driving hours and use the motorway services or truckstops sign posted off the motorway.

I used to use a hotel in Macon when I needed to, obviously then I’d eat opposite in the BP centre routier.

Also used a hotel in Archamps, on the outskirts of Geneva just off A40.

If going to Italy I’d use the hotel/routier in the services at Aosta.

Not sure on opening times but these were all truck friendly when i used them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Secure parkings:
A5, Paris Reau
A5, Langres
A46, Lyon S.
A6, Montelimar

Hotels? Get a taxi? Does it matter if you`re two hundred or two thousand metres away from the truck?
Are hotels open with COVID? Sorry I dunno.

Papers:
Passport with 6 months or more left.
V5.
Permission from reg owner In V5 to drive vehicle. (Be careful if leased vehicle)
Green card.
International permit copy. (Assuming you are carrying goods?)
CMR
Attestation of wages.
Contact for French representative.
Health insurance? EHIC expires Dec 31st.
Probably others I can’t remember to the moment

Franglais:

Before you bin your EHIC if you have one: bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

They are still valid till the expiry date.

Trailer registration plates is another fairly new rule for UK trailers.

mrginge:

Franglais:

As I read it, only valid up to expiry date if you enter an EU country before Dec 31st, but become invalid once you cross a border after that date. I could well be seeing it wrong, so am open to correction.
nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/health … ance-card/
“For most people, EHIC may not be valid from 1 January 2021.”
There is mention too of a PRC, (Provisional Replacement Certificate) but on a quick look I can`t see where that is from.

I think they just have not changed the NHS site like other… Gov sites as its all getting announced now. That’s why the BBC has more ‘live’ info saying its fine till they expire and the plan is to introduce a new replacement of some kind.

Luckly my company has medical cover for us as its one of my documents in my euro work pack. Also bought yearly cover with the post office for only £60 where I get £10 million if I remember right in healthcare so I got wiggle room to injure myself ha.

The BBC also says you don’t need an international driving permit but doesn’t make it clear if that’s just for holiday makers or include commercial drivers. Might be worth the £5.50 just incase if going right now over there.

Thanks everyone for that info it was all helpful , especially the drivers permit i had totally forgotten that one , now to find a post office :slight_smile:

Dont forget the snow chains :stuck_out_tongue:

Franglais:

mrginge:

Franglais:

As I read it, only valid up to expiry date if you enter an EU country before Dec 31st, but become invalid once you cross a border after that date. I could well be seeing it wrong, so am open to correction.
nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/health … ance-card/
“For most people, EHIC may not be valid from 1 January 2021.”
There is mention too of a PRC, (Provisional Replacement Certificate) but on a quick look I can`t see where that is from.

I realise this is venturing off topic a bit but:

moneysavingexpert.com/news/ … xwN40mgiBA

mrginge:
I realise this is venturing off topic a bit but:

moneysavingexpert.com/news/ … xwN40mgiBA

A good find though :slight_smile:

Agree good find.
Worthy of a new thread.