Pompey.

We know about Kent permits.
In Pompey all trucks shopping out will have to pass a control before entering port. Will be at Park And Ride near port.
If ok you carry on to port. If not you must go away to prepare documents. No parking on site.
Sorry no link but I do trust my source.

Paulner Park and ride site ?
It was a site they were using for drive through Covid testing and now for parking your nasty nun and kitten killing machines.

OwenMoney:
It was a site they were using for drive through Covid testing and now for parking your nasty nun and kitten killing machines.

And the west bound A31 between Alresford and Winchester

Sent from my truck

OwenMoney:

Tipner lane? Parking both sides of m-way? But (word if mouth only) it’s only for checking, not parking. If wrong docs you’ll need to get those nuns out the way as trucks will need to find somewhere to park.
N.B. for those who say “only move from loading point when all.papers are done”?
In the real world, when loaded vehicles go, and hope docs will be ready on arrival.at port. No boss will want a truck stood when it could be rolling.

Franglais:
In the real world, when loaded vehicles go, and hope docs will be ready on arrival.at port. No boss will want a truck stood when it could be rolling.

Nope, don’t load until you have the customs reference/movement number or whatever it’s called or you could be doing free warehousing for weeks or months.

Hurryup&wait:

Franglais:

Nope, don’t load until you have the customs reference/movement number or whatever it’s called or you could be doing free warehousing for weeks or months.

Sane rules apply.
Load from point X. Truck in point Y. Do you send truck to X while papers are being readied, or sit it at Y awaiting the load docs finished?
Many times vehicles move towards collections that are still being prepared.

Get demurrage written into contracts as now: if you have already loaded goods and it’s the client’s fault the docs aren’t done then they pay. If the haulier is taking full responsibility for docs it is them who will carry the costs.
In the latter case the driver will be moving off as the office bods type away or “try turning it off and on again” etc.

Approaching vehicles from the west. Rownhams services has an 'advice point; area. Not sure if still have to go to A31 holding area tho?

yuppie:
Approaching vehicles from the west. Rownhams services has an 'advice point; area. Not sure if still have to go to A31 holding area tho?

Been told if approaching from the west you can use the one on M275. Nothing on the road to explain this tho. Guess it’s small.

Services Rownhams North, on the M27 has an advice point and COVID test point.

M275 Portsmouth Park and Ride is the inspection point you must enter before going into Pompey Ferry Port, either to ship yourself, or to drop a trailer that is shipping. (Channel Island traffic not affected though) No COVID tests here, they just do checks to ensure you don`t go to port and clog it all up if owt is wrong.

A31, I don`t know about.

Franglais:
Services Rownhams North, on the M27 has an advice point and COVID test point.

M275 Portsmouth Park and Ride is the inspection point you must enter before going into Pompey Ferry Port, either to ship yourself, or to drop a trailer that is shipping. (Channel Island traffic not affected though) No COVID tests here, they just do checks to ensure you don`t go to port and clog it all up if owt is wrong.

A31, I don`t know about.

If you get a docs’ check at, for example Rownhams services, and the Advice Point tell you your docs’ are good. Do you get a “Docs’ are Good certificate” to show at the M275 Park and Ride Inspection Point? (So that that bit is an in and out job)
I suppose you’ll also get a dated and timed COVID Free ticket. The test takes, I believe, around 15 minutes to test, so you might as well get your docs’ checked while you wait. But if you have to go through the whole docs check rigmarole again at the inspection point, is there any point in going to an advice point, other than peace of mind?

I haven’t been over the water yet this year. I haven’t had a chance to talk to our drivers who have either.
We don’t use Dover - Calais, but do go down through Eastern France to Basel.
The boss is very thorough with paperwork, so I wouldn’t expect problems, however errors can slide in, never say never.

M.275 inspection point is about 5 to 10 mins for one MRN, Covid, passport, booking ref, when it`s quiet. (Someone must be paying wages for the dozen or so staff there).
No parking available there so if there is a hitch you need to go back elsewhere to sort it out. That may make getting docs checked at Rownhams etc worthwhile?

Hurryup&wait:

Franglais:

How does this work then? Some gaffer has a lorry that’s supposed to go load in Factory X. Does the lorry a) wait in the yard until the paperwork is done? Mind you, it’s always “it’ll be finished any minute now”. Can’t allocate the lorry for another load, as the customer is already ■■■■■■ off that his finished product is sitting in the warehouse and not being loaded and on the way to mainland. So he demands a lorry the second the papers are ready.

Or b) the lorry gets loaded and sits around until the paperwork gets done.

Realistically, if there is a problem with the paperwork, the lorry will sit the same amount of time, as it is tied to the load. In the real world though, I have never had a load with either an Export declaration, TIR Carnet or whatever, where the papers were finished beforehand. You turn up, take the load and only then do the powers that be start with documentation. Sometimes you need to wait on the spot (crossing a hard border outside the EU) and sometimes you get a message with the MRN number way ahead of reaching the border (Norway for example)

As Above.
One further point, until the load is on a vehicle the form cant be completed as it needs a vehicle reg number or similar. And we all know that sometimes vehicles are swopped around etc before they arrive at loading points, so exporters are reticent to complete forms early. How much of the form can be completed and saved before being registered, I dont know? Hopefully some of it can be pre-filled, but I don`t actually know that is so?

In addition to the registrations, there is always the possibility of the cargo not fitting in the trailer, the original amount being too heavy for a given lorry etc etc. Registrations can be flipped over, but you have to do the numbers all over again for tariffs etc.