Euro trucking and the 90/180 day rule

As we all must know by now, there are big changes coming up in 2021 regarding travelling into the EU

from the British government website, now that we have voted to end our freedom of movement, us UK citizens will be limited to a period of no longer than any 90 days in any 180 day period. well the schengen area at least which does cover the majority of the continent

Visas from 1 January 2021
The rules for travelling or working in Europe will change from 1 January 2021:

you will be able to travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training

if you are travelling to France and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel would count towards the 90-day limit

To stay for longer, to work or study, for business or for other reasons, you will need to meet the entry requirements set out by France. This could mean applying for a visa and/or work permit. You should check with the French Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit, if any, you will need.

from gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic … quirements

So how could this affect a HGV driver?

180 days is approximatly 6 months or 26 weeks

taking the example of a driver who works monday to friday in europe, if they attempt to continue with that shift pattern for the whole 26 weeks, they would be trying to visit the schenghen area for 130 days in a 180 day period (26 weeks times 5 days per week) - no longer possible

taking the example of a driver who does longer trips and is weekended in EU their days run out even quicker. Say you are abroad for 6 weeks, that works out at 42 days per trip so after just 2 trips you are already at 84 days

these drivers will have to go onto domestic UK work until their 180 day ‘clock’ resets and then they can go back to euro work

also worth remembering that if you were to want to go on holiday to an EU destination you wouldnt be able to if you had used all of the 90 days for work trips

The answer is in the post you get a visa the 180 day ruling is for those without a visa.

Mazzer2:
The answer is in the post you get a visa the 180 day ruling is for those without a visa.

do you have a link as to how to apply for this visa?

chrisdalott:

Mazzer2:

do you have a link as to how to apply for this visa?

No but I’m sure Franglais will be along later with one. :smiley:

On a more serious side the 90 day rule will cover you up to around April/May depending how much time you spend in Europe thus leaving plenty of time to get a visa, bearing in mind at present the outcome of any trade talks aren’t yet known so it may be that a visa won’t be required

The best people to ask imo as stated on the gov site, is call the French Embassy, they would be the perfect people to give info on this
or the German, Dutch, Belgian etc etc etc, depending where you are driving to/from

But found this from LBS in France . com

Spending more time in France or Europe
If you wish to have access to more than 90 days without actually becoming a permanent resident, then the actual rules and formalities for non-EU residents and UK citizens wishing to spend more than 90 days in another European country have not been announced. However, if we look at other third country nationals, the way to stay longer, without becoming a resident, would be a long stay visitor’s visa, requested from the French consulate in your country of origin. You can request a 6 month or one-year renewable visa. Will the process be ‘lighter’ for the British than the usual third country national rules or the same? For this we will need to wait and see.

LBS has been helping other third country nationals for many years with their visa applications, so we would hope the rules would be no more complex than for others. Applications for visas should be made at least 2 months before going to the country, so get prepared to make your applications if you think you will need this.

The real complexity of a move to France will arise if you wish to work or create a business in France or another European after January 2021, here the paperwork is not the same!

Still looking for further info from other sites.

Also found this from the gov.UK site, that may be of interest to you all traveling in Europe

Mobile roaming: free roaming may end
From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.

Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get from 1 January 2021.

A new law means that you’re protected from getting mobile data charges above £45 without you knowing.

Once you reach £45, you need to opt in to spend more so that you can continue using the internet while you’re abroad. Your phone operator will tel

Stupid Brexit -
To turn the question upside down ,as the UK wasn’t in the Schengen group are those of us resident in Europe going to need a visa to visit the post Brexit utopia ?

“Back in the day”…(post 89 anyway) it was easy enough for truck drivers to get a visa at the border when leaving the EC. Visas for Morocco were given by Gov officials on the ferry. Cz visa when doing formalities at the frontier. Maybe when UK vehicles are in French port areas the Police des Frontiers will give a visa? And I dont much care what the Brexit loons predict*, Ill have a wager that we wont be driving off the boat and straight out the gate without a documentation check.

*They haven`t been correct in any of their predictions about us leaving yet, have they?

But here is my go to Brexit forecast site: much more believable than Johnson etc
astrology.com/article/brexi … nar-nodes/

OwenMoney:
Stupid Brexit -
To turn the question upside down ,as the UK wasn’t in the Schengen group are those of us resident in Europe going to need a visa to visit the post Brexit utopia ?

Red Cross and other relief workers bringing in food parcels will probably be exempt.

OwenMoney:
Stupid Brexit -

Same principle in reverse I believe. No visa for less than 90 days, visa needed for longer.

pierrot 14:
The best people to ask imo as stated on the gov site, is call the French Embassy, they would be the perfect people to give info on this
or the German, Dutch, Belgian etc etc etc, depending where you are driving to/from

But found this from LBS in France . com

Spending more time in France or Europe
If you wish to have access to more than 90 days without actually becoming a permanent resident, then the actual rules and formalities for non-EU residents and UK citizens wishing to spend more than 90 days in another European country have not been announced. However, if we look at other third country nationals, the way to stay longer, without becoming a resident, would be a long stay visitor’s visa, requested from the French consulate in your country of origin. You can request a 6 month or one-year renewable visa. Will the process be ‘lighter’ for the British than the usual third country national rules or the same? For this we will need to wait and see.

LBS has been helping other third country nationals for many years with their visa applications, so we would hope the rules would be no more complex than for others. Applications for visas should be made at least 2 months before going to the country, so get prepared to make your applications if you think you will need this.

The real complexity of a move to France will arise if you wish to work or create a business in France or another European after January 2021, here the paperwork is not the same!

Still looking for further info from other sites.

I looked into this and it seems that this visa requirement will mean it would not be available for drivers living and working for the British companies.
You are required to have a property in France. either on a 12 month lease or buying. Also require 15,600 euros in a French bank account

feodgroup.com/en/immigration/fr … -term-visa

As far as I can tell there is no visa existing now that would let you visit the EU for over 90 days unless you get sponsored by an EU company or have the funds to live there longer term without working

Nothing on gov.uk site does it go into detail for drivers , mostly goes on about tourist s and second home owners. I reside in UK.
. I would like to see a full written statement from them or the RHA.

Beginning of the end for me I fear.

Someone please remind me what I,ve got to look forward to Jan 1st.

Thanks

yuppie:
Nothing on gov.uk site does it go into detail for drivers , mostly goes on about tourist s and second home owners. I reside in UK.
. I would like to see a full written statement from them or the RHA.

Beginning of the end for me I fear.

Someone please remind me what I,ve got to look forward to Jan 1st.

Thanks

Jan 1st? Holiday!
After that, who knows?
Apparently we have been promised permits, but haven’t seen them yet.
Some of the work we do for customers will have over £200 worth of extra documentation with it. That’s the 60 or 70 quid for EU export and UK import entries, plus food safety, and country of origin, certificates. Possible time lost for inspections as well.
Not too much for a full trailer, but a big lump for half a pallet or less. Smaller collections may be priced out.