Help with good route Calais (FR) to Rocca di Papa (IT)?

I’m going to drive a horse truck from Calais France to Rocca di Papa -just south east of Rome Italy.
Can anyone propose a good route?

I drive a 12meter 26 ton horse truck.
Since I have horses on board I’d like to avoid too much traffic jams near cities.
I also want to stay out of Switzerland -easier with horses to not pass through Switzerland and also the Mont Blanc is rather expensive for a hobby driver.

Also its near winter time so not too keen on driving at high altitudes (snow and hills…)
Got the right tires but no chains…

Hoping someone is experienced in Calais-Rome route and have some good advice

Kind regards

Per

What are the rules regarding lairage for horses?

Anyway.
Calais to Rome avoiding Swiss
Via Mt Blanc 1700km
Via Ventimiglia 1900km
Via Brenner 1800km

Oh there are a ton of rules for transporting the horses but as long as I stay within EU I’m good :slight_smile:

Many thanks for your suggestions!

/Per

Ventemiglia everytime… :sunglasses:

The free or National roads in France are not too bad and not so many traffic jams as you would expect in the UK , it depends on your available time and running costs .
To avoid the dreaded Periphique , or the Paris ring road , that is bumper cars at the fun fair time , i would head to Boulougne Sur Mer when leaving the port of Calais towards Rouen .

Then to Evreux, Dreux to Chartres , to Chamberly , then the choice of Mont Blanc or the Frejus tunnels , buying a return is cheaper than two single one way tickets .
Milan motorway ring road motorway can get busy , depending what time , commuter time is best to avoid . Then Florence/Bologna to Rome , or from what they call the middle route via Clemont Ferrond and the spectacular Millau viaduct all the way to the South of France to the coast of Italy via Nice , but will cost on the toll motorway .

The free roads in Italy are slower than in France , with agricultural machines , lots of small villages , which will slow you down and use more fuel but avoid the free roads in France due to tourists in the Summer .The Italian road signs do not make sense and some are 30 years old and out of date and it is easy to get lost .

In France he free roads are mostly dual roads , with plenty of decent places to stop over and eat , both countries have excellent food on the toll motorway stations and good value .
But never park alone in both countries for security reasons .

Are the Chevaux on a one way trip ? :neutral_face:

A one way trip to the Pedigree Chum factory!!

In Italy?

They are more likely to show up as the Sunday roast or in McDonalds I reckon :wink:

Hurryup&wait:
In Italy?

They are more likely to show up as the Sunday roast or in McDonalds I reckon :wink:

Roast, steak or sausage. All good.
Not worth shifting pet food that far on the hoof is it? Enough fruit fridges com8ng up that would take back chilled or frozen for per food I would imagine??