1st euro trip, Calais to Florence, what toll class

Hi

wondering if could tap into the vast knowledge on this site, I have a job to take a Pickup and car trailer from the U.k to Italy and have only driven on holiday in europe not to europe before.

Trying to work out what toll class a 4x4 Pickup 5m long 2.2m high and car trailer 6m long 2m high would come under, is it really class 4 hgv :astonished: this make tolls horrendous, and not worth doing the trip.

Is there a better route to avoid most toll sections?

thanks

Don’t know about toll classes but in a non HGV the cheapest route would be get the boat to Dunkirk (DFDS) head across to Lille then into Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. You will have to get a vignette for Switzerland and then into Italy where the tolls are not too expensive compared with France.

What is your 4x4 Gross Vehicle Weight? If under 3.5 tons you’re a class 2 Intermediate on the French system aren’t you?
autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm
At under 7.5 ton you’ll avoid most weight restrictions so can run N roads almost everywhere, and avoid all tolls. Bit longer time and bit more juice, but probably cheaper overall. Notepad and pencil time!

Cheaper to go Swiss through Germany, Mont Blanc return 58.80 euros, Swiss vignette £34.50, fill up in Luxembourg with a pump price of 92 cent a litre. Dunkirk to Basel in under 10 hours and motorway the whole way.

Mazzer2:
Cheaper to go Swiss through Germany, Mont Blanc return 58.80 euros, Swiss vignette £34.50, fill up in Luxembourg with a pump price of 92 cent a litre. Dunkirk to Basel in under 10 hours and motorway the whole way.

At 2.2m high the Blanc would be 78eu, I think.

CH tax is 34eu only up to 3.5ton, isn`t it? 4x4 + trailer + car weighs?
So should stop at border and pay there?
Might sail through the border, might get a shakedown for every bit of paper ever seen?

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

At 2.2m high the Blanc would be 78eu, I think.

CH tax is 34eu only up to 3.5ton, isn`t it? 4x4 + trailer + car weighs?
So should stop at border and pay there?
Might sail through the border, might get a shakedown for every bit of paper ever seen?

Possibly but still the quickest way plus the cheaper diesel from Lux, would chance the Swiss and plead ignorance will be under 3.5t going out when stopping to buy the vignette

Landcruiser 100 is 2.6T
Brain James trailer can go near 1.5T for a covered race trailer.
100L tank, so put in 80L ? Thats saving 40? eu cents a litre on Fr supermarket prices? Thats 32-ish euros, each way.

O.P. doesn`t say what (if any?) car(s) in the trailer is, and what documentation is with it. New? Classic? Race? Crashed? If registered, where?
I would give Swiss a swerve if there is any possibility of a problem with weights or docs.

m_attt:
Hi
wondering if could tap into the vast knowledge on this site, I have a job to take a Pickup and car trailer from the U.k to Italy and have only driven on holiday in europe not to europe before.
Trying to work out what toll class a 4x4 Pickup 5m long 2.2m high and car trailer 6m long 2m high would come under, is it really class 4 hgv :astonished: this make tolls horrendous, and not worth doing the trip.
thanks

Franglais:
Landcruiser 100 is 2.6T
Brain James trailer can go near 1.5T for a covered race trailer.
100L tank, so put in 80L ? Thats saving 40? eu cents a litre on Fr supermarket prices? Thats 32-ish euros, each way.

O.P. doesn`t say what (if any?) car(s) in the trailer is, and what documentation is with it. New? Classic? Race? Crashed? If registered, where?
I would give Swiss a swerve if there is any possibility of a problem with weights or docs.

m_attt:
Hi
thanks

I am guessing he has been given a fixed price for the job and therefore would want to get up and down as quickly and cheaply as possible, cheapest ferry DFDS get it into Dunkirk and your onto free dual carriageway/motorway from 1km off the boat to the Swiss border, a fee for crossing Swiss then tolled in Italy to his turn off in Florence for all that sitting between 60/70mph non stop. 707km from Dunkirk to Basel so 7 hours driving roughly, the whole trip done in 3 days.
Go through France 20 minutes from Calais you hit your first toll, French nationals 80km/h, 70k’s at junctions, 50k’s in urban areas plus the navigation to keep you off the tolled motorways. Calais to Blanc Tunnel 895km using motorways yes it brings you further south but how much more will using nationals add to the mileage and MPG?
If tolls were not a problem then yes through France every time.
With regards to paperwork if it is iffy for the Swiss then it will also be iffy at Calais when he tries to enter the UK, I lifted a transit van in Holland as part of a groupage load 3 hours of my life I won’t get back spent at Calais with UK customs, a Dutch boat builder thinking that putting 1 x Transit Van on a CMR would suffice.

Thanks for replies and sorry for delay. load got cancelled. Have noted all whats said for next time.

Its a Ford Ranger 2016, and Brian James T6 flatbed.

Have a trip to Breman Germany now, trying to get head round all the new paperwork abd covid stuff. not made easy at all