Freight Strike

The following article appeared in my local Spanish paper this morning.
“Costa Blanca region’s freight carriers will join the strike called for July 27 and 28 in protest at the government’s decision to authorise vehicles of 44 tonnes and 30cm higher than normal which they consider a threat to the economic stability of their companies.
In addition,vehicles with these dimension cannot circulate outside Spain so companies would need to have some lorries for international transport and others for national only which would mean doubling their fleets.
The president of the FROET,Pedro Diaz,assures the the companies feel overwhelmed by the practices that their clients have been imposing,such as forcing drivers to take care of the loading and unloading of their vehicles.According to Diaz the companies that use freight transport calculate that if drivers stop doing this work they would have to spend around €200million to increase their workforce.
Some 14000 carriers in the region between companies and self employed are called to the protest on July 27 and 28.”

Am I missing something ?
Isn’t it 44 t national traffic in Spain anyway and 40 t international.
Will 30 centimetres higher be practical ?
Spain already allow extra length truck - trailer combo with flashing warning lights on the roof corners.
Maybe Tubbysboy can clarify.

OwenMoney:
Am I missing something ?
Spain already allow extra length truck - trailer combo with flashing warning lights on the roof corners.

44tonnes! How much revenue will that loose them, cutting the payload like that?

I thought national transport in Spain was 40t with a 13t drive axle.
Some years ago I offered to help a Spanish 8 legger driver with a flat on his 3rd axle and my 10t jack wouldn’t lift the wheel off the ground!

OwenMoney:
Am I missing something ?

Owen,

44 t is for intermodal movements using 6 axles.

42 t for Intermodal on 5 axles

40 t for nacional / international

As far as I know think the double trailers are allowed to 60t… but not 100% sure on that.