What law governs tacho cards post-Brexit?

A French trucking company wants to interview me but said they dont’ accept non-French tacho cards. Can anyone point me to the law that says that UK ones should be accepted please? The name, number, and paragraph of the law is what I really need. It’s not the first time I’ve had companies here behaving illegally over administrative matters and I think the only way to persuade them to be compliant is to be able to point to exactly what the law says. Thanks.

I imagine…but don’t know…and it’s late…
There may well be an EU reg regarding this, about freedom to work anywhere within the EU?
Since Jan 1st however…
Like I say, I dunno.
I’m assuming you have a UK card, driving license, DCPC?
Might be time for a full deck of French cards?

Thanks Franglais. They are all British yes. I sent in my application to get my licence exchanged at the start of September but five months later they sent the whole thing back unprocessed saying they weren’t any longer processing exchanges for UK licences except in four cases, one of which was having received a speeding ticket, which I had and had included in my pack. So I wrote a letter pointing this out and sent the whole thing back. They then sent it all back to me again saying I needed to send either a CDI or proof of being enrolled at Pole Emploi for more than six months to prove I live in France. I’d sent them about ten documents proving I live here but they wouldn’t accept any of them. As I’ve been on temp contracts I cannot fulfill their requirement. Apparently, according to them, I haven’t been living in France for the last eleven months. When I first arrived in France a company wanted to offer me a job but wouldn’t as I didn’t have a carte vitale - even tho legally this is not required. Then an agency wouldn’t employ me unless I got an official translation of my licence, which is also not legally required. I’ve been here less than a year I have a hudred such stories of administrative ineptness. I really don’t know how this place manages to function.

I can’t say where you stand now we’ve left the EU but the regulation that covered this before we left was:

Article 30 - Regulation (EU) No 165/2014

For the PDF search for: CELEX_32014R0165

edit: I hope this link works :slight_smile:
op.europa.eu/en/publication-det … aa75ed71a1

Sent from my mobile.

Hi mate, was going to ask how are you, but going by your post not too good it seems.

Personally I think you are being fobbed off by the employers/agencies because they don’t know what to do with a
“UK” Drivers Card, CPC card, or Licence, because of the UK not being part of Europe anymore.
Been there , done it and that was long before England actually leaving. People didn’t accept my UK licence,
even though it was the Euro format with the Euro flag on it.
At least I had the advantage of being able to speak to them in fluent French and asked them to go check it out, worked !!

Can’t understand this “having to be a resident for x number of months/years” thing.

Have you actually changed any of your UK cards ?
All of this is done online now.
I know you have a reasonable understanding of the language.

The site you need to go to is
services.chronoservices.fr/Cart … /rcc2d.php
It Is In FRENCH sorry

For me most of the changes from UK to French were done by my employer STEF.
Drivers Qualification Card (CPC/FCO) was coming up for renewal, they put me through the 5 day course and handled all the paperwork. Done
Drivers Card/ Digi : mine was due to expire , so went online , filled in loads of details required, waited a bit. Done
Drivers licence, now that was a real PITA, nothing like the French for paperwork and administration !!, took a lot of time,
Getting the forms and filling them in, doing the medical , sending all that they required, proof of address (utility bill),
copies of passport, copies of my UK licence etc.
Changing the UK licence to a French one in the most problematic, it is doable though, just takes time and lots of form filling

Thanks so much for the link, and all the detailed info, and the encouragement! I’m doing OK here but the admin is surprisingly dysfunctional. I know an African here who says French admin is the worst in the world and worse than Africa and I know another French person of African origin who says French admin is third world standard. This is my experience also. From an admin point of view this country is very frustrating and I don’t understand how they manage to function. I’m similarly disappointed with customer service here. It seems to not even exist as a concept. People say they’ll get back to you but hardly ever do and they routinely ignore emails. This is after all the polite kissing and hand-shaking face to face. I find it two-faced. The same people who do all the formulaic niceties when you’re in the same room are the same people who completely ignore you when you’re not in the same room, and who drive so aggressively when you are both in a car. It’s also the only country where I’ve had people ignore me and walk off when I’ve politely asked for directions in the street. France is pretty and affordable but administratively and from a customer service point of view it’s very backward and I’m left feeling that everyone is just out for himself. Even after almost a year I’m continually surprised by just how bad it is.

There are loads of Facebook groups for Brits living in France trying to deal with the poor admin, including one just for exchanging a UK driving licence. Some people applied two or three years ago, having done everything right, before having their applications returned unprocessed. When I sent mine in I emailed them three times over the months to check they had received it and they never replied once and in the end just returned it unprocessed. I’d done everything right but they still rejected the application. There are people in that Facebook group that applied literally years ago and never got a replacement licence and so are now unable to drive.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and the link. I could end up finding myself in an impossible position where my card is not accepted but I’m not able to change it as it’s not about to expire, and no company will put me thru it all itself as it wants the French cards before it will take me on. Let me know if you have any additional thoughts! Cheers and thanks again.

Excuse the errors in my French, but I think I’ve found all the documents I need. Whether they accept them is another thing! But I think this is the law pinpointed:

A ce lien on peut trouver le document en francais:

ec.europa.eu/info/files/tachogr … ansport_en

On peut selectionner de telecharger la version francaise la.

Il est ecris:

1. CARTES DE CONDUCTEUR

3.1. Règlement (UE) n° 165/2014
En vertu des articles 26 et 30 du règlement (UE) n° 165/2014, les cartes de conducteur sont délivrées par l’autorité compétente de l’État membre dans lequel le conducteur a sa résidence normale. À partir du 15 juin 2019, les États membres doivent délivrer des cartes de conducteur qui sont pleinement compatibles avec le tachygraphe intelligent conformément au règlement (UE) n° 165/2014 (ci-après la «carte de conducteur intelligente»).

Une carte de conducteur délivrée dans un État membre fait l’objet d’une reconnaissance mutuelle par tous les autres États membres.

3.2. «Règlement d’urgence» (UE) 2019/501
En vertu de l’article 6, point c), du règlement (UE) 2019/501, dans le cadre du transport de marchandises ou de passagers autorisé par ledit règlement, les exigences énoncées dans le règlement (UE) n° 165/2014 en ce qui concerne les tachygraphes dans les transports routiers doivent être respectées.

Cela signifie qu’à compter de la date de retrait, les opérateurs du Royaume-Uni seront en mesure d’effectuer des transports sur la base du règlement (UE) 2019/501 avec une carte de conducteur intelligente délivrée par le Royaume-Uni et tant que le règlement (UE) 2019/501 s’applique

–Le deniere phrase c’est le plus important, et voila, le lien pour montrer que 2019/501 s’applique encore. On peut voir a ce page c’est ecris ‘in force’:

eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content … 32019R0501

Article 5(c): en ce qui concerne les tachygraphes dans les transports routiers, les exigences énoncées dans le règlement (UE) no 165/2014 du Parlement européen et du Conseil (10);

Et 165/2014, aussi ‘in force’:

eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content … 32014R0165

Article 26 et 30.

Excuse my answer not being about Brexit, but my cousin lived and worked in France, he was born in India, worked for the US Government in France, married an American and had both their kids in Hong Kong. He was having to jump through hoops and provide proof of everything. His mother was English and went to live with him, his Dad was English too but was also born in India.

I was on holiday with them and remember going to the local Mairie with this big folder and a bottle of wine, within an hour, the Maire had accepted a dinner invitation with us, my cousin had all the forms he required stamped, signed, sealed and the kids started at their chosen schools and mother got her pension from the local bank.

Corruption still works I think despite Brexit :laughing:

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: That is a brilliant reply! Do you know what - I might just have to try that!!!