Clandestine fine

grumpyken52:
Where I used to work we had a check list for clandestine searches , this included locks , seals and security cords for curtainsiders , it also included a record of phone calls of confirmation of searches and checks and a policy of an exclusion zone around ports of 100kms no stopping .
This was all Border Force approved .
We had several instances of illegal stowaways mostly discovered before the ports and a couple discovered by border control only one driver received a fine , he was the only one who couldn’t prove he had done the approved checks .
We had confronted illegals as far away as Patras in Greece and others found them in Spain and Portugal as well as France.
If you are in a union contact them for legal help , some houshold policies have a legal cover that may also help .
If you had a check system in place with records it certainly seems to help when dealing with Border Force
We even had bag issued for every trip that contained locks , seals , curtain repair equipment and a torch , all the seals had serial numbers that were recorded when and where they were used .

Clandestines have been an issue for over 20 years now.
This system, or something similar, has been the system approved by Border Force (HM Customs and Excise before them) since the problems started.
If you don’t do something similar, with anti-clandestine checks noted in writing, you’re going to have problems with Border Force anyway.
If you get caught with clandestines as well, you’re in the [zb] over your head and sinking fast. I think the max fine increased to £3,000 a head by the way, so 2k is a reduced fine.
Sometimes there’s a fine, sometimes they’ll let you go. Just because they let you go once doesn’t mean they’ll let you go another time.

I don’t have check lists, but I do keep a diary. On the return Leg, every time I stop I make a note that I’ve done a check.
At the ports I use coming home, the Dutch Police do an eyeball check of my load before boarding the ferry and mark my boarding pass.
So I have my own checks noted, plus an eyeball check by someone ‘in authority’ to show I’m clear.
If I think I’ve got stowaways, I’ll still carry on to the port, but inform them at check-in.
I’ve had stowaways at Calais, many years ago before HMCE were checking passports at the port. I passed the scanner check, I passed the CO2 check, but insisted on a Mk1 eyeball check of my load. There were 7 in there. Vanned away and nothing more for me to worry about, that day.