Corona virus and european driving

Is it just me or is anyone else slightly concerned that the virus could be spread all over by Euro tramping drivers ?
We have had two Romanian trucks from Italy unloading here today , both drivers were wheezing and coughing…needless to say the warehouse lads kept their distance.
Food for thought if you are sat huddled together on the train with someone nearby who is snorting and spluttering…

Twoninety88:
Is it just me or is anyone else slightly concerned that the virus could be spread all over by Euro tramping drivers ?
We have had two Romanian trucks from Italy unloading here today , both drivers were wheezing and coughing…needless to say the warehouse lads kept their distance.
Food for thought if you are sat huddled together on the train with someone nearby who is snorting and spluttering…

We may travel a long way, but we don’t necessarily interact with many people.
One shop assistant or local bus driver, probably could spread a bug more rapidly than a truck driver, I would guess.

You may not interact with many people but I personally interact with hundreds of people weekly, one of the joys of RDC holding pens.

My own view on the Corona virus is that it’s proving to be a futile exercise trying to contain it so we may as well prepare for a global pandemic, accept the 1% mortality rate (which is much, much lower than the mortality rate for Flu) and simply get on with everyday life. Unless of course someone somewhere is making vast amounts of money from this!

If those two Romanian drivers were infected with Covid 19 , then the Euro tunnel train or the cross channel ferry they took would mean spreading it , then the possibility of sharing a longer sea crossing with them , with four drivers in one hot and sweaty small ferry cabin .
These cheap masks do not work , you will need an armed forces breathing regulator mask , the small cheap ones offer low protection , as you get the virus through the eyes .

the maoster:
You may not interact with many people but I personally interact with hundreds of people weekly, one of the joys of RDC holding pens.

My own view on the Corona virus is that it’s proving to be a futile exercise trying to contain it so we may as well prepare for a global pandemic, accept the 1% mortality rate (which is much, much lower than the mortality rate for Flu) and simply get on with everyday life. Unless of course someone somewhere is making vast amounts of money from this!

1% mortality rate for COVID 19?
Someone has a crystal ball then.
WHO currently estimates 2% but that is only provisional.
And flu in the USA has a 0.1% mortality rate.
I’m sure those with larger risk profiles would like it’s spread held back as long as possible to enable more to be found out about it, and maybe get a vaccination prepared.

the maoster:

And they are rare in the EU, you rock up, wait in your own truck in the unlikely event there is a delay, get on a bay, tip yourself and bugger off again.

the maoster:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
same as mad cow disease,and the pandemic coming from asia every single year…millenium bug is up there also…total bollox,and if you get it,you will think youve got the flu for a few days despite what the media hype says otherwise…but,as is the norm every year in and out…were all doomed!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Perhaps they will get the disinfectant mats out in Calais again :bulb:

Franglais:

the maoster:

I’m sure those with larger risk profiles would like it’s spread held back as long as possible to enable more to be found out about it, and maybe get a vaccination prepared.

Ok then, let me ask you a simple question; does this corona virus worry you personally?

Try to give me a heartfelt answer, try to resist your usual tactic of googling facts and figures, try to resist your normal temptation of playing Devils advocate over every single thing, try to resist the temptation of someone telling you that it’s raining and immediately responding that it isn’t in fact raining and figures you have will prove beyond doubt that it’s actually sunny.

Can you, for once give a heartfelt and unresearched answer? Does it scare you?

the maoster:

Nope, it doesn’t scare me anyway.

But I would not like to be the one to bring it back and pass it on to a load of people especially vulnerable people.

I always dislike the train and bloody minibus as I always feel it is a dirty, infection rich dump so I hope I don’t see it for a while if this bug becomes more prevalent.

The scariest part of this particular bug imo is it’s the first to be exposed to full blown social media and all the bs that goes with that. Otherwise it’s a non-event on the scale of things in my daily life at the moment.

the maoster:

Franglais:

the maoster:

Ok then, let me ask you a simple question; does this corona virus worry you personally?

Try to give me a heartfelt answer, try to resist your usual tactic of googling facts and figures, try to resist your normal temptation of playing Devils advocate over every single thing, try to resist the temptation of someone telling you that it’s raining and immediately responding that it isn’t in fact raining and figures you have will prove beyond doubt that it’s actually sunny.

You want me to reply without the benefit of facts or of thinking?
No.
However speaking as a fairly healthy, 'airy arsed lorry driver I doubt this bug would kill me.
But it is a risk to some around me. I don’t want elderly people, or those on cancer treatment with lessened resistance to die because “I’m alright Jack”. I don’t want others to suffer because I am don’t really care about the facts and would rather just follow woolly thinking patterns.

the maoster:

Bravely said Maoster in this current world of keyboard warriors who pretend they are offended or outraged by every little thing on social media. Why politicians and others just don’t just ignore these clowns who pontificate loudly in herds on matters they know little or nothing about is a mystery to me.

I agree with you now based on what have seen so far. The cost of shutting own parts of the world in terms of human misery not to mind financial cost has been huge and to achieve what.

I think the attempts to control it have been admirable and a good learning experience for more dangerous illnesses in the future

However in the final analysis will the world authorities think they should really have done it your way in this instance? Yes, in my opinion.

Will they admit that? I don’t know.

Hurryup&wait:

the maoster:

Bravely said Maoster in this current world of keyboard warriors who pretend they are offended or outraged by every little thing on social media. Why politicians and others just don’t just ignore these clowns who pontificate loudly in herds on matters they know little or nothing about is a mystery to me.

I agree with you now based on what have seen so far. The cost of shutting own parts of the world in terms of human misery not to mind financial cost has been huge and to achieve what.

I think the attempts to control it have been admirable and a good learning experience for more dangerous illnesses in the future

However in the final analysis will the world authorities think they should really have done it your way in this instance? Yes, in my opinion.

“In the final analysis” ?
You’re nailing your colours to the mast somewhat prematurely, aren’t you?

Hurryup&wait:

the maoster:

So are you saying that the financial cost of temporarily shutting factories, to contain the rapid spread of the virus is too great?
Closing plants isn’t going to put this genie back in the bottle. But it may buy time.
Time to, if very lucky, get a vaccine. If less lucky make some (not merely decorative) masks, and respiratory drugs etc.
Slowing the spread is buying time to save lives. And keep people off the sick so those precious tat factories aren’t running at half capacity.
Sickness and death is OK to keep the economy going?
Only if it’s the flu or a disease?

I live very near Dover and Euro tunnel is a bit further off .
It is common knowledge that all the travel systems are the breeding grounds for all the unhealthy bugs .
Fast turnover of public packed into areas of stale recirculated air is certainly not ideal.
As a regular on Euro Tunnel the stink of the great unwashed on the Freight trains has to be experienced to be believed.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

im thinking…i wonder if anyone on here will ever be posting to tell us that they have corona virus■■?
it could be a long wait?

dieseldog999:
im thinking…i wonder if anyone on here will ever be posting to tell us that they have corona virus■■?
it could be a long wait?

What’ll it be ?
I sneezed twice yesterday. Today I’m recovering from it?
I’m coughing, sneezing, and vomiting, but because I’m tough I’ll carry on with my food shop deliveries?
I sneezed once, and I’m gonna get a month off on full pay, or else I’ll sue the buggers?
Or I’ve got a streaming nose, so I’m gonna phone the NHS to ask for advice?
Choice of 4 there, other choices available of course.

Franglais:

dieseldog999:
it could be a long wait?

What’ll it be ?
I sneezed twice yesterday. Today I’m recovering from it?
I’m coughing, sneezing, and vomiting, but because I’m tough I’ll carry on with my food shop deliveries?
I sneezed once, and I’m gonna get a month off on full pay, or else I’ll sue the buggers?
Or I’ve got a streaming nose, so I’m gonna phone the NHS to ask for advice?
Choice of 4 there, other choices available of course.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i reckon the chances of you suffering corona virus symptoms and waffling on about it will be in the direct relation of how far up the faceache/twitter/mumsnet snowflake ladder you can climb.

corona 1.jpg

Franglais:

Hurryup&wait:

the maoster:

So are you saying that the financial cost of temporarily shutting factories, to contain the rapid spread of the virus is too great?
Closing plants isn’t going to put this genie back in the bottle. But it may buy time.
Time to, if very lucky, get a vaccine. If less lucky make some (not merely decorative) masks, and respiratory drugs etc.
Slowing the spread is buying time to save lives. And keep people off the sick so those precious tat factories aren’t running at half capacity.
Sickness and death is OK to keep the economy going?
Only if it’s the flu or a disease?

I’m just an unqualified lay person here having a conversation without responsibility for sorting it our.

I think it will become much more widespread here in the UK and Europe generally but thankfully it is not very lethal.

My question is if only half the financial cost of this was put into a cure for cancer instead would we have a better and healthier society generally? At the moment I’m thinking Yes we would.

The only good thing I see about the reaction to this virus is it gives us a a good practice run on methods to control it which may prove very useful if a really nasty one arrives on the scene in the next decade or two.

Hurryup&wait:
I’m just an unqualified lay person here having a conversation without responsibility for sorting it our.

I think it will become much more widespread here in the UK and Europe generally but thankfully it is not very lethal.

My question is if only half the financial cost of this was put into a cure for cancer instead would we have a better and healthier society generally? At the moment I’m thinking Yes we would.

The only good thing I see about the reaction to this virus is it gives us a a good practice run on methods to control it which may prove very useful if a really nasty one arrives on the scene in the next decade or two.

Equal in our levels of expertise then it seems.
From what I read* it has a mortality rate about ten or so times that of normal seasonal flus. (1.0% estimate at this early stage compared with 0.1%) Not about to kill healthy, non-geriatric adults. But not as bad the infamous Spanish flu of 1918, with 2% or 3% mortality, that killed 30 million, or 1.7% of the world population.
Remember SARS? Early 2000s. That had a 1% mortality rate too. No vaccination was ever developed for that. One problem is that COVID 19 is contagious in the early asymptomatic stage. You may not know you have it, but are spreading it. . Lots of medical research is done by private drug companies. There is a problem (more than one!) here. I believe that we have a need for more Gov spending on medical research, in cancer and other areas. Books are written about the aspects of this, so no place here for us, maybe. Ben Goldacre is well worth reading though, Bad Science and Big Pharma are both very accessible. . Death and medicines are costed. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves, and there is a cost associated to trying to prevent the spread of this particular virus, but there is a cost to allowing it free rein too. I have memories of a politician up for election: asked about funding for a seriously ill teen age girl in an interview she replied "I want funding: a million, a billion, a trillion, it doesnt matter"**.
Insane. To save one life she would spend more than to build a thousand hospitals…but that is another argument again.

*Check with NHS and WHO sites.
** cant find it now, that is why Im leaving name out.