Greece.... The long way!

Hi Folks, got a bit of a new one to me this next week.

Private Van and car trailer with a owners car on, down to greece, swap for another of his cars then back up.

Wants to go overland to save on tolls, germany, hungary, then down to greece. Shortest route is by Serbia / Macendonia, but Romania / Bulgaria keeps it in the EU.

Anyone gone the long way round? Never been down that way before (hungary furthest ive got), i would always just assume a ferry from Italy the best choice, but the tolls through france, tunnel (Blanc or frejus)+ Italy Tolls + Ferry will be astronomical.

hamletbarnard:
Hi Folks, got a bit of a new one to me this next week.

Private Van and car trailer with a owners car on, down to greece, swap for another of his cars then back up.

Wants to go overland to save on tolls, germany, hungary, then down to greece. Shortest route is by Serbia / Macendonia, but Romania / Bulgaria keeps it in the EU.

Anyone gone the long way round? Never been down that way before (hungary furthest ive got), i would always just assume a ferry from Italy the best choice, but the tolls through france, tunnel (Blanc or frejus)+ Italy Tolls + Ferry will be astronomical.

Put it on Google maps, and cost it out. Ignore the trip time given, but work out a reasonable average speed. Fuel costs will vary by country. Toll costs can be found online, as can ferry prices.
Couple of hours on research for you.
Edit to add.
Why not use French N routes rather than peage all the way?
Or Germany/ Austria before hitting Italy and the ferry?

Done it a couple of times recently, but a valuable car on & decided didn’t really want to be asleep in laybys etc at night in the former yugo countries or indeed Romania/Bulgaria, ferry wasn’t cheap obvs, but a nice break & time to sun tan :wink:

iguana:
Done it a couple of times recently, but a valuable car on & decided didn’t really want to be asleep in laybys etc at night in the former yugo countries or indeed Romania/Bulgaria, ferry wasn’t cheap obvs, but a nice break & time to sun tan :wink:

How long by Road, compared to 24hrs(?) on the boat?

Overland is cheap on the red stuff, but its 2020 and its all EC

Its got to be Superfast

Cheers folks, convinced client the only feasable way is the boat from Ancona, 2100km ish to Ancona and about 3km to do in greece…

Van and trailer this one so nice easy run out really compared to the usual Race truck!

Franglais:

[/quote]
3720 miles by Road Calais-Athens shortest route

2135 miles on road Calais to Ancona (via Swiss cheapest) then ferry, then Patras to Athens & return

So ferry saves 1585miles, if you do circa 500 miles a day driving, it’s 3 days extra driving by road.

Iguana is right, via Swiss is the best option. Good roads all the way, you can even mix it up a bit through France and use some of the Route Nationale and get some good grub in Les Routiers. Or go via Lux and get your cheap diesel and smokes. :wink: 4hrs Calais-Aire de Capellen Sud.
My preferred route would be A16 Calais-Dunkirk- A25 Lille - E42 Mons- Namur - E411 Arlon - (Lux Border) - A6 - Aire de Capellen Sud - A6 - A3 - France A31 - Thionville - Metz - Nancy - Epinal - Mullhouse - Huningue (car border) or St Louis - Enter Swiss - 3 - Rheinfelden - 2 Lucerne - Gothard Tunnel - Lugano - Como/Ponte Chiasso - A9 Milano - A50 Piacenza - E35 Modena - E45 Bologna - Forli - E55 Rimini - Ancona - Patrasso… Plenty of free motorways.
That used to be my old route out empty on the Pavia shoe job. Not to forget a night at Charlies, Luneville if I chose to go via Col du Bon Homme and Colmar instead of Epinal. :wink:
About 16hrs driving time and about 1600km to ancona. I did it in my Porsche 911 some years ago, Old Ford to Athens, Depart Old Ford 6.30pm Monday, Arrive Glyfada 4.30pm Weds ! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
Voila.
Buon Viaggio.

iguana:

Franglais:

3720 miles by Road Calais-Athens shortest route

2135 miles on road Calais to Ancona (via Swiss cheapest) then ferry, then Patras to Athens & return

So ferry saves 1585miles, if you do circa 500 miles a day driving, it’s 3 days extra driving by road.
[/quote]
I think your 3750 miles is slightly wrong, In days gone by in my old 111 pulling for Wilgo freight,

I did the London Athens London shuttle, Mainly groupage or ciggies out, Heavy denim cloth back.
When the permits were a bit short MM ones did the job. As long as you chose the route correctly, Over Cenis,
Trieste, Belgrade, Gevgelia, run down to Athens IIRC it was around 3000ks, 1860miles and that was the longer route.