Doing European Work

Hi everyone,

I have been commercially driving 10 years in the UK doing class 2 and now class 1 for 4 years. I have done general haulage, tramping, fridge work, skip, concrete mixer, I’m looking at going over the water to do European work. I am East Midlands based Who are the best company to go to who will look after a novice euro worker. Looking at general haulage really, fridge work I can not sleep with it, just can’t get used to it lol! Don’t want to work nights, early morning starts no issue, what sort of pay can I expect for doing euro work.

Try S & K.

S&K have two European work options , Benelux , which abbreviates to Belgium , Netherlands and Luxembourg , so in theory a few trips there per week or long distance , where you stay out for a few weeks or more .
European work is mainly a set amount per day plus your night out money .

If you are weekended , some companies may not pay you for not doing anything , ans some may not pay your night out pay for Friday to Sunday night , but a decent firm would .

Europe has many truck bans that can be one day to a few days , this may mean driving at night to get the ferry once the ban has ended .Plenty of Irish firms to try are Dixons , Caffrey or Virginia .
Fines are paid on the roadside , what seems trivial in the Uk can cost thousands in Europe , some offences can be 10,000 Euros , of which is a court deposit , the driver has the option to contest their fine at a later date .
One firm i worked for was 400 miles from home , if you are away for a few weeks or more , the long commute is not so bad .

Another firm expected the driver to carry out their own roadside repairs , from trailer and truck tyre replacement , the truck and trailer carried spare tyres for blowouts . This practice was common many years ago . Where a passing driver would stop to assist in the exchange for a coffee or beer . So you would need bottle jacks , and a long scaffold pole plus wheel braces .

You could try Brian Yeardley in Featherstone , Wakefield , they cover concerts and event work .

toby1234abc:
S&K have two European work options , Benelux , which abbreviates to Belgium , Netherlands and Luxembourg , so in theory a few trips there per week or long distance , where you stay out for a few weeks or more .

If you are weekended , some companies may not pay you for not doing anything , ans some may not pay your night out pay for Friday to Sunday night , but a decent firm would .

Europe has many truck bans that can be one day to a few days , this may mean driving at night to get the ferry once the ban has ended .Plenty of Irish firms to try are Dixons , Caffrey or Virginia .
Fines are paid on the roadside , what seems trivial in the Uk can cost thousands in Europe , some offences can be 10,000 Euros , of which is a court deposit , the driver has the option to contest their fine at a later date .
One firm i worked for was 400 miles from home , if you are away for a few weeks or more , the long commute is not so bad .

Another firm expected the driver to carry out their own roadside repairs , from trailer and truck tyre replacement , the truck and trailer carried spare tyres for blowouts . This practice was common many years ago . Where a passing driver would stop to assist in the exchange for a coffee or beer . So you would need bottle jacks , and a long scaffold pole plus wheel braces .

You could try Brian Yeardley in Featherstone , Wakefield , they cover concerts and event work .

With the Irish firms do they have locations in the UK or do I need to go to ireland to get unit and trailer?

Jaythetrucker:

toby1234abc:

With the Irish firms do they have locations in the UK or do I need to go to ireland to get unit and trailer?

I stand to be corrected but in my experience vast majority of Irish lads and lasses are on fridges (not all of course but you’d obviously have a harder time finding work) and Irish fridge work will mean driving at night a fair bit.

I doubt ,Portsmouth would interest you?
Jobrapido are carrying an ad for FTL.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Most Irish firms have depots in the UK , Dixons have a depot and do trailer swaps at Crewe truckstop , Nolans have depots in England and Wales .
I am not sure how you get a tax number for working in Ireland , maybe go to the tax office .Switchlogic would advise you on that .

toby1234abc:
Most Irish firms have depots in the UK , Dixons have a depot and do trailer swaps at Crewe truckstop , Nolans have depots in England and Wales .
I am not sure how you get a tax number for working in Ireland , maybe go to the tax office .Switchlogic would advise you on that .

Work for an Irish firm? Easy, since we’re all in… oh…

Edit. Yes, working for a UK depot on a UK truck, is still easy, working for an Eire company direct is changing

Franglais:

toby1234abc:

Edit. Yes, working for a UK depot on a UK truck, is still easy, working for an Eire company direct is changing

This will be interesting as it unravels for any non U.K. haulage company trading within the borders of the U.K.
Will it be ok for Dixon’s ( for example ) to continue trading in the U.K. and employ non U.K. nationals without having to conform to foreign labour and immigration rules ?

Grumpy Dad:

Franglais:

toby1234abc:

This will be interesting as it unravels for any non U.K. haulage company trading within the borders of the U.K.
Will it be ok for Dixon’s ( for example ) to continue trading in the U.K. and employ non U.K. nationals without having to conform to foreign labour and immigration rules ?

Since the rule book hasn’t been written yet… who knows?
But if the UK is putting a blanket ban on EU workers entering the UK, apart from some special cases, then a reciprocal ban would be expected? So, advice previously given o this forum in older threads, to drivers wanting to drive in the EU, (to go on for an Irish company) looks suspect in the future.
Yep, your use of the word ‘unraveling’ seems apt.

I think it will be interesting to watch Franglais, as I wrote in another thread, the immigration process is to be based on a key skill points system which will be open to any nationality to apply through, and as drivers we are not classed as skilled professionals, after several years of failed promises and backing by certain bodies.
But an EU company that has a depot in the U.K. may be allowed to transfer staff from one depot to another ie Dixon’s initially employ a driver at the Dublin HQ and then out base him for a period of several weeks at the Rugby depot, officially he’s employed in ROI and isn’t employed or living in the U.K. so will be under the radar.
Under the pre brexit negotiations the majority of EU countries did say there was to be no restrictions on U.K. nationals applying for jobs across the EU.
But it’s early days and anything planned is no doubt subject to change before it’s set in stone.

Franglais:

toby1234abc:

Working for an Irish company on a UK registered lorry would be no different doing Europe than working for a UK firm in a UK lorry

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

toby1234abc:

Working for an Irish company on a UK registered lorry would be no different doing Europe than working for a UK firm in a UK lorry

In that case, since the vehicle is UK ten, it must be a UK company, surely? The ultimate owner may not be, though.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

toby1234abc:

In that case, since the vehicle is UK ten, it must be a UK company, surely? The ultimate owner may not be, though.

Aye UK in registration Irish in name in the same way DEli France is a French company but has UK factories

[/quote]
[/quote]
Aye UK in registration Irish in name in the same way DEli France is a French company but has UK factories
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i wonder if thatl be a loophole for woody and the hughes bros,or the dozen or so bulgarian regd trucks to the o/d s registered to the two fatties from warrington?? :smiley:

Not a problem, have a look at the ,common travel agreement.

cypry0:

That will be the common travel agreement, which is subject to change once Brexit is finalised.
It will also be an agreement that will differ from the rest of EU travel, which will include arrangements for cross border travel as well as ROI - England travel.

Grumpy Dad:

cypry0:

That will be the common travel agreement, which is subject to change once Brexit is finalised.
It will also be an agreement that will differ from the rest of EU travel, which will include arrangements for cross border travel as well as ROI - England travel.

Will it?
Or is that speculation?

Franglais:

Grumpy Dad:

cypry0:

Will it?
Or is that speculation?

The major flaw in Brexit negotiations was the Irish border was it not ? The Irish on both sides felt hard done by with the possibilities and neither side want the same border issues that will face U.K. into EU.
As ROI is in the EU a different agreement will need to be made.

Virginia transport has a depot near Tamworth.
Luke/ Switch used to run it at one point. Also UK reg trucks based there.