France strikes and protests in December

Keep reading bits from English language French papers, apparently it’s kicking off in December, with various strikes from Rail workers, Truck drivers, teachers, civil servants, healthcare workers, fire fighters and protests by some police forces and yellow vests, farmers.
So for those over there is France coming to a standstill or is it a bit over hyped?

Seems to be kicking off again.
Fuel depots in the far west have been blocked by builders and the like as a protest against the removal of a subsidy on red diesel.
The strike lined up for Thursday is the usual complain about the pension reform by the people with the most to lose.
There are 42 pension regime’s here and a rail worker can retire at 54 on a full pension .
The fuel terminal in Donges was blocked Monday morning and there were trucks and CRS about.
I saw a Leclerc supermarket garage closed and no fuel .That was in Parthenay.
Thé drivers strike is supposed to start on Saturday.

I take it they’ll be out blocking the roads again or are they going to converge on Paris?

I have seen the GJ’s out - not many as it’s a tadge nippy but there is panic buying of fuel. Our local Leclerc was out of Petrol and unleaded, but there isn’t a problem with delivery of fuel.
And as a special bonus all fuel tanker drivers are allowed - officially- to drive two hours more a day.

If they all protest in Paris so much the better - My lot have rota’d us all as a day off on Thursday - wether we strike or not, but they are concerned the docks and access will be blocked through till Monday.

We shall see - bring supplies and fuel to be on the safe side.

Been having dinner in a little Routiers. Talk around bar and tables, and TV suggests rail will be hit hard. But more coaches meant to be running. Schools and airports affected.
Looks like cities will be jammed: Paris, Marseille, Rennes, Bordeaux especially.
So, this Thursday will be like an average Monday morning I s’pose?

Thursday 5th .

Usual traffic, less trucks . Docks blocked and fires on roundabouts. Big demo’s planned for this afternoon in city centres .

So… Motorway s will be ok then? Just leaving Italy.

yuppie:
So… Motorway s will be ok then? Just leaving Italy.

Who knows ? It only takes a few trucks to bung up the peage and you’re stuffed . Truck drivers are supposed to be on strike on Saturday and I did hear on the radio this morning of “escargot” action on the A1 Paris - Lille Autoroute .

OwenMoney:
Thursday 5th .

Usual traffic, less trucks . Docks blocked and fires on roundabouts. Big demo’s planned for this afternoon in city centres .

Thurs . P.M.
So far, so good, here.
Few G.J.s on roundabouts, but I’ve seen no problem myself.
As you say, roads seem quieter. No schools etc, plus some having a day off to avoid hiccups?
I don’t imagine it’ll stay as calm though.

Had to go up to Brittany today, Saturday.
There was a well organized truck protest on the Rennes ring road,with Gendarmerie ■■■■■■ front and back.
More like a truck show . Hopefully as easy to get back. No hassles at the refinery in Donges and fuel tankers out as usual.
Still seeing garages with reduced available petrol although diesel seems ok.

OwenMoney:
There was a well organized truck protest on the Rennes ring road,with Gendarmerie ■■■■■■ front and back.
More like a truck show . Hopefully as easy to get back. No hassles at the refinery in Donges and fuel tankers out as usual.

Didnt notice any queues around fuel pumps on Friday. Well see what happens next…

Franglais:

OwenMoney:

Didnt notice any queues around fuel pumps on Friday. Well see what happens next…

My local Leclerc in Vire had no queues and no restrictions to how much you could have, same at the Carrefour, no queues there either.