Dutch Speed Limit

I’ve just noticed in a national newspaper that the NL government has reduced the national speed limit from 130 to 100kph to reduce pollution.That should make life on their roads more interesting.Plus,if enforced,a nice little earner to be able to increase their EU contribution when GB pulls out!

Gidders:
I’ve just noticed in a national newspaper that the NL government has reduced the national speed limit from 130 to 100kph to reduce pollution.That should make life on their roads more interesting.Plus,if enforced,a nice little earner to be able to increase their EU contribution when GB pulls out!

Yes, but from 6am to 7pm 7 days a week. Then it’s back to 130kmh

The press only revealing part of the story again.Characteristic accuracy.

The Dutch are becoming much keener on wagons keeping to the 80kmh limit as well.
As I understand it, but I’m probably wrong, you’ll get away with 83kmh (genuine speed) but anything over that and you’re done (if caught).
They’re also increasing their average speed camera coverage. That 5 lane stretch up past Utrecht heading North has had cameras for a long time, probably Southbound as well.

Simon:
The Dutch are becoming much keener on wagons keeping to the 80kmh limit as well.
As I understand it, but I’m probably wrong, you’ll get away with 83kmh (genuine speed) but anything over that and you’re done (if caught).
They’re also increasing their average speed camera coverage. That 5 lane stretch up past Utrecht heading North has had cameras for a long time, probably Southbound as well.

Correct on all points Simon.

Geoffo:

Good to know I’m not imagining everything :laughing:

Simon:

Geoffo:

Good to know I’m not imagining everything :laughing:

To be fair I have always driven like the Dutch, 80kph until they get over the border. All Norman Lewis vehicles were limited to 80k, it suited me.

Norman Lewis limited to 80kph? My pre speed limiter F reg.MAN would do near enough 80mph! But not on hourly pay

As of today (19/11/2019), this is not been implemented. It’s definitely coming though soon.

Yes, it might take a bit before everything is through. As stated first the limit will be pushed back to 100kmph, but only for specific peak times and not during the evening/night.

The 80kmph was something which was mentioned by a part of one of the former big parties (PVDA) but did not even get the support from the delegation of that particular party in parliament. so bringing the limit back to 80kmph is very far away for the Dutch.

As soon as this is implemented I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the populistic parties will try and push back on this again to win votes of the people who dislike driving slower and dont care that much about the environment.

FaustoCoppi80:
As soon as this is implemented I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the populistic parties will try and push back on this again to win votes of the people who dislike driving slower and dont care that much about the environment.

And don’t care that much about the environment :question: :laughing: :laughing:

Well considering the limit is only being dropped by 30km (20mph, roughly) during the day, it won’t have much invironmental impact either way.
From 6 to 930, city traffic is pretty much at a crawl, pumping out greenhouse gasses by the tonne. The same from 15/1530 to 18/1830. And that includes most motorways from city to city as well.
Coming into Rotterdam in the afternoon, on the A15 it is usually solid from Gorinchem, all the way in to after the Botlek tunnel, for example.
It’s the same all over Europe, the UK is even worse.
So the only time it’ll make any difference is from around 930 - 11 and 13 - 1530. Most people are at work then anyway, so they’ll barely notice.

Geoffo:
As of today (19/11/2019), this is not been implemented. It’s definitely coming though soon.

Scheduled to come in on 16th March 2020. All to do with reducing Nitrogen pollution (will only have a very small decrease) but thousands of construction sites were put on hold for the same reason.