after nov 1st

couple of questions for after Brexit day

if you are working for UK firm and you go over to europe to drive and work - will you need a work permit or a special kind of working visa?

and with British people only being allowed to stay in EU schenghen zone for 90 days out of 180 days what happens then? do you do 3 months of euro work and then have to rotate onto 3 months of domestic work until you ‘reset your clock’?

of course the Turkish etc. come over here so what do they do?

did anyone’s boss say anything about this? Albion?

chrisdalott:
and with British people only being allowed to stay in EU schenghen zone for 90 days out of 180 days what happens then?

Source for this please?

ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what- … -policy_en

explains the policy on non EU citizens, some need visa some do not. but all are limited to 90 days stays

activenews.co.uk/2019/04/04/tra … -citizens/

Yesterday, the European Parliament (EP) and EU Council finally agreed on a proposal to waive visa requirements for UK citizens travelling to the EU after Brexit, whether the UK leaves the EU with a deal or not. This still needs to go through the formal steps of approval by the European Parliament and Council, but it’s unlikely that the law will be rejected at this point. (An EP committee has already voted for it).
The final version of the law, which will amend the main EU Regulation setting out which countries’ nationals do and don’t need a visa to travel to the Schengen States, is straightforward. It will add the UK to the so-called ‘white list’ of countries whose nationals don’t need a visa to travel to the Schengen States, for a period of 90 out of 180 days.

It should be noted that a short-term visa waiver is for visits only: it does not constitute free movement of people between the UK and EU. The EU’s visa Regulation leaves it up to each Member State to decide on whether to require a visa for ‘paid activity’, a term which is not further defined in the legislation or in CJEU case law. The rules of the World Trade Organisation equally leave it up to each WTO Member whether to impose a visa requirement for provision of services. So UK citizens carrying out paid activity in the EU after Brexit – or vice versa – may face further hurdles, depending on the national law of the EU Member States on the one hand and the UK on the other (the EU has not harmonised Member States’ immigration laws on non-EU citizens on this issue).

As I read it from your link to the EU site.
“Generally, a short-stay visa issued by one of the Schengen States entitles its holder to travel throughout the 26 Schengen States for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Visas for visits exceeding that period remain subject to national procedures.”
90 days out of 180 applies to those needing visas.

And here
gov.uk/visit-europe-brexit
“Visas: you should not need one for short trips
After Brexit, you will not need a visa for short trips, according to European Commission proposals. You could stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, or to work or study.
Check back for updates.”

Does that mean that multiple short trips are OK, as no visa required, or that multiple short trips totaling over 90 days are not allowed unless covered by a visa?

The “proposals” “may” and “check back” are not confidence inspiring are they?

Couldn`t get on with that “activenews” link though. Multiple tabs opening etc.

We didn’t need a visa before 1973 with the forming members of the EC except for those new membership countries like Czech and Hungary who joined much later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the history lesson

chrisdalott:

Wait another five minutes and well get "My dad didnt need a visa in 1944"!
:smiley:

The real problem is the uncertainty and the whole sorry mess may get kicked to the end of January 2020,and hopefully even further into the wilderness.

All the questions you ask just have " but and maybe and what if " answers.

Franglais:

chrisdalott:

Wait another five minutes and well get "My dad didnt need a visa in 1944"!
:smiley:

ha yes but back to the present day

i think i found an answer to my own question in that what is classed as work and wheter it requires a visa is down to national governments, so you would think the sensible thing is to let drivers carry on to keep trading

but it seems clear to me that we can only be there 90 days in any 180 days period, so if you were over the channel during january, february and march youd be unable to go to the mainland in april may and june. although any weekends at home would get knocked off

it will become another thing to keep track of, along with driving hours and WTD. you have to go do domestic work when you run out of EU days

chrisdalott:

You are writing this as fact, the fact is. I am correct and you are guessing what may happen, :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

chrisdalott:

You are writing this as fact, the fact is. I am correct and you are guessing what may happen, :smiley:

Yes… We are all guessing what will happen.
Including our Government…

OwenMoney:
The real problem is the uncertainty and the whole sorry mess may get kicked to the end of January 2020,and hopefully even further into the wilderness.

All the questions you ask just have " but and maybe and what if " answers.

The problem with it being kicked further into the future is nobody can make long term plans. It needs sorting ASAP, one way or another.

When they kicked it October I joked with some German colleagues it would be like the UK going metric, we’ll keep saying we’ll do it, but never actually get fully round to it, at the time I didn’t realise how true that might seem by October.

Wheel Nut:

chrisdalott:

Very true, but we’re not looking at time travel. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

chrisdalott:

youre basing what may happen soon on what happened 40 years ago which is irrelevent

British citiizens used to be able to go an live in australia as a so called ‘ten pound pom’ no skills really needed. Nowadays they have a very strict points based system and if your only skill is HGV youre not getting in. Because the world moves on
you might as well say that when you were 16 you wore a pair of 32 inch trousers therefore you will always be able to buy that size and put them on. what happened in the past is not necessarily what will happen in the future

I’m giving you facts - non EU citizens, such as Americans, Canadians, Aussies and New Zealanders can stay in the EU for 90 days per 180. in 2 weeks time we will be non EU citizens. these are facts.

For those that live in France, the site to apply for a residency permit is operational,although applications are not being dealt with until after 31 10 in case of another delay (or common sense returning).

Cost 119 euros per person

invite.contacts-demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/

Bottom left - Brexit - Also available in English