Tacho Ferry Move

I think I’m up on most of this, (famous last words) but here’s a question:
Only a full rest period can be interrupted for a move(s) on/off ferry. Conditions apply etc.
If a 3 hour break is taken during the day, a 9 hour test period counts as a full, but a reduced rest period.
So if a 3 break is taken can a ferry move be made even if one has booked on, then booked off (at port) 14 hrs later?
I’ve not done this, so don’t know how a tacho would react, but know how any analysis software would react.
I do know my tacho doesn’t always ‘like’ the way I work my ferry moves throwing up spurious “daily rest now” messages, but that’s another story.

Franglais:
Only a full rest period can be interrupted for a move(s) on/off ferry. Conditions apply etc.
If a 3 hour break is taken during the day, a 9 hour test period counts as a full, but a reduced rest period.
So if a 3 break is taken can a ferry move be made even if one has booked on, then booked off (at port) 14 hrs later?
I’ve not done this, so don’t know how a tacho would react, but know how any analysis software would react.
I do know my tacho doesn’t always ‘like’ the way I work my ferry moves throwing up spurious “daily rest now” messages, but that’s another story.

What year is your tacho? mine is 2015 and allows a ferry movement at 14 hours if 3 hours have been taken during the day and then works as if it was an 11 ferry movement.
I have done this on several occasions and was stopped the morning after in Kent having come down from Holyhead DVSA man asked for an explanation and said by rights I should have had 11 hours but as I didn’t appear tired he said he could see no point in parking me up. I told him that the tacho had said I was to good to go when getting off the boat to which he replied “Don’t always believe the tacho”. The fact he let me go makes me think it is maybe a grey area because if it was black and white he would have parked me up and fined me, this was mentioned before on here on a thread last year and someone else said they were doing it and had been stopped in Europe and there were no comebacks.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

What year is your tacho? mine is 2015 and allows a ferry movement at 14 hours if 3 hours have been taken during the day and then works as if it was an 11 ferry movement.
I have done this on several occasions and was stopped the morning after in Kent having come down from Holyhead DVSA man asked for an explanation and said by rights I should have had 11 hours but as I didn’t appear tired he said he could see no point in parking me up. I told him that the tacho had said I was to good to go when getting off the boat to which he replied “Don’t always believe the tacho”. The fact he let me go makes me think it is maybe a grey area because if it was black and white he would have parked me up and fined me, this was mentioned before on here on a thread last year and someone else said they were doing it and had been stopped in Europe and there were no comebacks.

Ta. I didn’t remember seeing this aspect mentioned but I’m sure you’re right, and I’m not the first to mention it.

My tacho is 2015 Exact Duo.

Rarely get 3 hours stationary during the day, but useful to know this stuff in advance.

You can interrupt a split daily rest period the same as you can interrupt a regular daily rest period, you can interrupt either or both parts of a split daily rest period, so doing 14 hours which includes a 3 hour rest period then interrupting the daily rest period is legal.

For confirmation see the link at the bottom of this post.

Mazzer2:

Better still believe the tacho not the DVSA bod who told you that :wink:

If you’re having a split daily rest period you can still interrupt the daily rest period twice with a total of 1 hour interruption, either part or both parts of the split daily rest period can be interrupted.

Obviously you met a DVSA bod who needs to read the DVSAs own literature :smiley:

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours
Scroll down to “1.4 - Daily Rest Periods” then scroll down to “Journeys involving ferry or train transport

Thank you, Tachograph.

Mazzer2:

If you’re having a split daily rest period you can still interrupt the daily rest period twice with a total of 1 hour interruption, either part or both parts of the split daily rest period can be interrupted.

Obviously you met a DVSA bod who needs to read the DVSAs own literature :smiley:

Scroll down to “1.4 - Daily Rest Periods” then scroll down to “Journeys involving ferry or train transport
[/quote]
As I said the fact he let me go led me to believe he was unsure about whether the law had been broken, this was at the Dunkirk weighbridge off the A2 got stopped in there a while later and a different DVSA bod was having trouble having understanding the ferry movement I keep a diary of all ferry movements and the production of this soon sorted everything out I did point out to her that the fact that the card finished in one country and then started again in a different one was bit of a clue she said she hadn’t noticed that :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Mazzer2:

Mazzer2:

As I said the fact he let me go led me to believe he was unsure about whether the law had been broken, this was at the Dunkirk weighbridge off the A2 got stopped in there a while later and a different DVSA bod was having trouble having understanding the ferry movement I keep a diary of all ferry movements and the production of this soon sorted everything out I did point out to her that the fact that the card finished in one country and then started again in a different one was bit of a clue she said she hadn’t noticed that :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
[/quote]
Makes you wonder doesn`t it?
But we are all human(?) and make mistakes. When discs were looked at by people did we get a bit more leeway I wonder? Now it is a laptop looking at a chip, do we get less understanding of real world problems?

Or is that me getting older and more paran…
Who planted that thought there?!

Franglais, you use the same ferry as me don’t you, Caen ~ P’mouth ~Caen ?

Just wondered if you do what I do and keep the cabin key card, because that will give the nosy buggers all the details they need regarding the crossing. I also keep the ticket that you’re given (France bound only as the UK bound ticket is taken by the gate security, love to know why :unamused: :unamused: )

pierrot 14:
Franglais, you use the same ferry as me don’t you, Caen ~ P’mouth ~Caen ?

Just wondered if you do what I do and keep the cabin key card, because that will give the nosy buggers all the details they need regarding the crossing. I also keep the ticket that you’re given (France bound only as the UK bound ticket is taken by the gate security, love to know why :unamused: :unamused: )

Oh yes, I agree. Keeping any form of ticket is always a good shout.

Franglais:
But we are all human(?) and make mistakes. When discs were looked at by people did we get a bit more leeway I wonder? Now it is a laptop looking at a chip, do we get less understanding of real world problems?

I understand mistakes can be made but a lesser experienced driver or someone not used to dealing with DVSA may have caved in. After an hour of looking at the card she returned to the lorry and her words were “You are in serious trouble and are looking at a court case” 30 minutes later and I was away with a clean card and no infringements, after showing her the diary and explaining each movement to her another DVSA guy leaned over and said get your paperwork and go everything is in order.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

I understand mistakes can be made but a lesser experienced driver or someone not used to dealing with DVSA may have caved in. After an hour of looking at the card she returned to the lorry and her words were “You are in serious trouble and are looking at a court case” 30 minutes later and I was away with a clean card and no infringements, after showing her the diary and explaining each movement to her another DVSA guy leaned over and said get your paperwork and go everything is in order.

Laptops analysing digi cards should eliminate badly trained officials seeing “false offences”. So long as minor transgressions are treated as just that: minor, then maybe things are getting better?

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

The main problem with boat movements is that the program that DVSA use to analyse your card does not recognise these movements and so they then have to examine each one on the computer if the person examining it isn’t 100% sure then this is where problems arise, it also doesn’t help when if you ask 3 different DVSA guys the correct way to set the tacho for a ferry movement you will get 3 different answers
Laptops analysing digi cards should eliminate badly trained officials seeing “false offences”. So long as minor transgressions are treated as just that: minor, then maybe things are getting better?

Mazzer2
“The main problem with boat movements is that the program that DVSA use to analyse your card does not recognise these movements and so they then have to examine each one on the computer if the person examining it isn’t 100% sure then this is where problems arise, it also doesn’t help when if you ask 3 different DVSA guys the correct way to set the tacho for a ferry movement you will get 3 different answers”

In truth Ive never controlled by DVSA, so cant comment. If they are using inadequate software then you`re obviously correct in saying it is down to training of the individual officer.